Quick ways to increase your running endurance?

Options
2»

Replies

• 2PieceNow
    2PieceNow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1st piece of advice......don't run 6 days per week (at least not yet) Your body goes through some very significant physiological adaptations when you start running (bone density, mitochondrial density, tendons, ligaments etc etc). Generally speaking you should run one day on one day off (feel free to cross train on non-running days.....bike, swim, row, walk , weights etc) Sadly for those of us in the half-century club recovery time becomes more important and, typically, fitness improvements come slower (we're not 25 anymore :sad: )

Fatigue is cumulative which is why you were exhausted, you need your non-running days.

You may also be pushing your progress too quickly. I don't know what your fitness level was 2 weeks ago when you started but i can tell you that when i started running in my early 50s by the 2nd week I may have been running (slowly) 4 or 5 consecutive minutes and taking walking breaks and adding a minute or two to the intervals every week or so. Endurance doesn't come quickly, it takes time, patience and consistency.

Focus on building your aerobic base first, don't worry about speed for quite a while.

Many new runners become victims of their own enthusiasm (we've all overdone it...) most injuries are a result of too much. too soon, too fast. Relax, take your time building up and enjoy the process. You have time to prepare for your races (consider downloading and following a training plan eg Hal Higdon's 5K http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50932/5K-Training-The-Most-Popular-Racing-Distance) and have fun!

Great advice, I will slow down! I will swim or find another activity on my off day! I am also tweaking my diet! I also have goals I want to run a 5 K in September and 10 K next February
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Best thing I found for my running consistency was to go slower. As counterintuitive as it sounds, it let me cover distance with fewer walking rests between higher-speed runs.

Once I got that consistency, then I was able to increase speed.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Best thing I found for my running consistency was to go slower. As counterintuitive as it sounds, it let me cover distance with fewer walking rests between higher-speed runs.

Yep.
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

+1
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great question and even greater advice!! I took many notes :)