How do you set a realistic exercise goal?

Options
Hello,

I'm having a bit of difficulty setting a goal. I've only starting working out again this week and it feels good, but I'm afraid I'll lose motivation down the line. So, I want to set some goals for myself to keep pushing myself. I'm not sure where to start.

I've just been walking about 4.5miles in the morning and then some arm work with resistance bands. I also have a jump rope. All forms of exercise that I enjoy so hopefully I'll stick to it and eventually add more.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my goals are just do better than last time

Bike faster, lift heavier/get all my reps in with good form,

When I did 30day shred my goals were at first to get through it...then it was keep up with the modified person...then do all non modified..

Just keep getting better...

For you walking 4.5miles faster next time, jump roap longer, do more reps or add resistence.
  • newlooknewme2014
    newlooknewme2014 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thats helpful! Thank you for sharing!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    my goals are just do better than last time

Bike faster, lift heavier/get all my reps in with good form,

When I did 30day shred my goals were at first to get through it...then it was keep up with the modified person...then do all non modified..

Just keep getting better...

For you walking 4.5miles faster next time, jump roap longer, do more reps or add resistence.
    Mine are similar. My goals are just to continually get better. I run alot and I know not every run is going to be faster/longer than the previous run but I keep track of distances and the pace of it.
    It ebb and flows but I can always see a difference at any distance after running each distance 3-4 times. That is the main goal, to get better. Each workout wont be better than the previous, but you if you track it you will see that even a few weeks from now what seems tough now will be much easier.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Why not join my walking group to keep you motivated? Basically you chose a distance based on something around the world ie the Inca trail and try to walk that distance as quickly as possible.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    #1. As the others have said, try to do a little better each time. You can mix it up. If you don't have as much time one day to walk, try walking only 3 miles, but do it faster than before. If you have a watch or a timer on your phone, you can keep track. Keep a daily log of what you do, so you can see progress.

#2. It helps to make it a habit. I don't necessarily do the same workout every day, but I try to do at least one thing on at least 5 days of the week. I really like cycling, so I'm out on my bike most days. I enjoy walking, too, if I can fit it in. I like running, but one of my knees is acting up, so that's off the table for a while. :grumble:

If you keep asking yourself, "Should I work out today?", try changing the question: "What workout should I do today?" That might help you when the excitement of doing something brand new wears off.

Good luck!
  • newlooknewme2014
    Options
    Oh, wow. So you continually add up the amount you walk until you reach the distance? Do you count casual walks? I live in a city so I walk everyday, but I don't consider that as exercising. I would be interested in learning more seems interesting.
  • newlooknewme2014
    Options
    Why not join my walking group to keep you motivated? Basically you chose a distance based on something around the world ie the Inca trail and try to walk that distance as quickly as possible.

Refer to last reply. I'm still new here. Didn't realize I needed to quote to respond to a specific message.
  • newlooknewme2014
    Options
    #1. As the others have said, try to do a little better each time. You can mix it up. If you don't have as much time one day to walk, try walking only 3 miles, but do it faster than before. If you have a watch or a timer on your phone, you can keep track. Keep a daily log of what you do, so you can see progress.

#2. It helps to make it a habit. I don't necessarily do the same workout every day, but I try to do at least one thing on at least 5 days of the week. I really like cycling, so I'm out on my bike most days. I enjoy walking, too, if I can fit it in. I like running, but one of my knees is acting up, so that's off the table for a while. :grumble:

If you keep asking yourself, "Should I work out today?", try changing the question: "What workout should I do today?" That might help you when the excitement of doing something brand new wears off.

Good luck!

Thanks that helps. i like that way of thinking. Currently I plan on walking 3 times a week and strength training twice a week. Most people I hear are doing 4-6 days of cardio. I'd like to work my way up to that. Not sure what else I'd like to add just yet. I've got a bad knee and week ankles too, so jump rope is only for short intervals of time.