Hip, Bust, Waist Ratios?

Options
124»

Replies

• When I put my measurements into the calculator, It always says that I am a pear shape since I have a small bust & large hips, but I have very large shoulders... so I'm really not sure about my body shape >.<

I weigh 119 and 5'4
    bust :32
    waist: 23
    hips: 37
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I also used to think i was a Pear but according to this, i might be a Rectangle.

Usual-shapes.jpg
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" 159lbs and 37.5 bust, 28.5 waist, and 39.5 hips. I'd like to get to 37.5/27/37 but I'm pretty proportionate now I think.
  • WWbuffydo
    WWbuffydo Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    When I put my measurements into the calculator, It always says that I am a pear shape since I have a small bust & large hips, but I have very large shoulders... so I'm really not sure about my body shape >.<

I weigh 119 and 5'4

I have the same the exact same problem! I'm a 'pear' because I have basically no boobs and big hips but my shoulders are really broad and everything I read says that the 'classic' pear has narrow shoulders. Our measurements are actually quite similar, which is funny.

I'm just over 5ft4 and weigh 117lbs
    bust: 31 (and sadly they seem to be shrinking!)
    waist:23.5
    Hips:35.5
  • jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just realized by reading all of your measurements that I have been measuring my hips completely wrong lol!!! What I was calling my "butt" measurements are actually my hips. Whoops!! :blushing: :blushing:
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Supposedly for women, the number for the waist shouldn't exceed 34 inches for the whole "unhealthy stomach fat" that can affect organs, etc. I am right at 34 inches for my waist, just at the "acceptable" # for BMI and just at the acceptable # for body fat % and within my range (on the higher end) for weight for my age, height and build. So even though the numbers indicate I'm "just" healthy, I have a lot of room for improvement, which I'm working on.:sad:
  • teamgiff4
    teamgiff4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that your waist should be no bigger than half your height.

So if you are 62 inches tall, your waist should be no bigger than 31 inches.
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I put my measurements into the calculator, It always says that I am a pear shape since I have a small bust & large hips, but I have very large shoulders... so I'm really not sure about my body shape >.<

I weigh 119 and 5'4

I have the same the exact same problem! I'm a 'pear' because I have basically no boobs and big hips but my shoulders are really broad and everything I read says that the 'classic' pear has narrow shoulders. Our measurements are actually quite similar, which is funny.

I'm just over 5ft4 and weigh 117lbs
    bust: 31 (and sadly they seem to be shrinking!)
    waist:23.5
    Hips:35.5

Ladies it's not a "problem". I'm the same and I find this awesome! I'm a 5'6" pear 35.5 / 28.5 / 42
    Our bodies in terms of fat are "pear" shaped since we store most of the fat around our hips. But our frame and shoulders are kind enough to make us look more like an "hour-glass"!! :love:
  • Shauna2626
    Shauna2626 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5 ft 2 in tall.

Bust: 34 in
    Waist: 28 in
    Hips: 37.5 in

According to an online calculator I found, I'm a pear shape.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Also, it's important to take measurements correctly. Many women tend to measure at the narrowest point, which usually incorrect.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/risk.htm
    To correctly measure your waist, stand and place a tape measure around your middle, just above your hipbones. Measure your waist just after you breathe out.

unfortunately if I took my measurement there I would come up as very "unhealthy" because of how much excess skin from the upper part of my torso is hanging down over my stomach. the difference between when I'm standing up and gravity conspires against me, and when I'm lying down so that it falls to the side rather than down over my stomach is about 5 inches
  • jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What I find most interesting about this topic is everyone's height and weight in proportion to their measurements. I'm on the "heavier" side of the BMI for a 5'3 person, and I like my measurements much more than my weight!! I'm about to throw this damn scale out...

5'3"
    Fluctuate daily 132-134lbs
    Bust- 36"
    Waist 27"
    Hips 38"

I think this makes me an hourglass with a hint of pear?

On another note... why are we comparing our body shape to inanimate objects like fruit and kitchenware?!? Who's idea was this... can't we all just say we're fabulous and call it a day? :flowerforyou:
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

On another note... why are we comparing our body shape to inanimate objects like fruit and kitchenware?!? Who's idea was this... can't we all just say we're fabulous and call it a day? :flowerforyou:

^^ The best thing I read today! :drinker:
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    The hip, bust and waist ratios do have a bearing on body type but if you are at healthy weight it doesn't really matter what the ratios are. For example, if you have two women who are 5ft 5 in and weigh 135 and both have a 28 inch waist and one has a 33 inch hip and the other has a 38 inch hip the later would probably be hourglass and the other would have more of boyish shape. Both would be slim and healthy. However, once your waist is above 32-35 inches (depending on ethnicity) you are more prone to serious health problems

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.3876195/

For those of you are wondering if you are an hourglass/curvy or not, for the bust I would consider cup size rather than just measuring around the bust line (obviously a 34A is quite a different thing from a 34G).
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No way are you a pear! I have similar measurements - 5 ft 2, and 35-28-37. I tend to become more rectangle and less hourglass as I lose, because it comes off my chest and butt first, but when carrying a few extra lbs, I am somewhere in between, Your measurements should give you a nice shape. You would be a pear if your hips were 40+ inches.

The waist/hip ratio is supposed to be the main health indicator. That means divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement, e.g. 28 divided by 37. Mine is 0.76 (rounded up). Getting close there, as it should not exceed 0.80. So if my waist was 30 and my hips 37, that would be 0.81. I am going for a 26 inch waist, but I know I will lose from my hips too, so will still be close.

I guess the "unhealthy" ratio is also assuming one is overweight. There are people who are pretty lean and have slim hips naturally, and a small butt. I'm sure they are not "at risk". So you can't always go by these formulas.