Thanksgiving Help

trejon
trejon Posts: 203
edited September 22 in Recipes
I am looking for great recipes for Thanksgiving! The plan is to try and have 4 healthy options on the table along with the good old SOUL FOOD/SOUTHERN options. It must appear to not be a healthy dish :laugh:. Even better if you have a sneaky way of making soul food taste the way I grew up tasting it.

Replies

• trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    PUMPKIN PIE:
    1 can (15 oz.) solid-pack pumpkin
    1 can (14 oz.) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 unbaked pie pastry shell (9 in.)
    Large mixing bowl
    Hand mixer
    Glass pie pan
    Directions

Pre-heat oven to 425°.

Bring the pie pastry shell to room temperature. Let it sit for 15 minutes or defrost it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.

When the pie pastry shell has reached room temperature, carefully unroll it from the package.

Press the pastry shell firmly against the sides of a glass pie pan. A glass pie pan is recommended to help brown the crust.

Set the pie pan aside and in a large mixing bowl, beat the canned pumpkin, fat-free condensed milk, egg substitute, salt, ground ginger, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg until smooth.
    Pour the mix into the pie pan.

Bake the pie at 425° for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 350° and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until you're able to pull a knife clean out of the center of the pie.

Let the pie rest on a wire rack until it has completely cooled. Store in the refrigerator. Yields 8 servings.

Servings per recipe: 8. Amount per serving: calories: 193.5 :love: ; total fat: 6.6 g; cholesterol: 4.2 mg.; sodium: 560.8; total carbohydrates: 21.5; dietary fiber: 0.8 g; protein: 12.0 g.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    yams with a little butter or margrine what ever you use and sprinkle with cinnamon
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    A couple years ago, I brought brownies to a Mississippi Thanksgiving lunch. The brownies were made with a can of pumpkin (instead of what the box tells you to mix it with) so they're lower in calories and fat.

No one noticed.
  • i have been looking for a Pumpkin pie receipe! thanks
  • My grandma gave me a great idea for whipped sweet potatoes...

Take 3-4(or however many you need for your family) Large Sweet Potatoes
    Boil/Bake/Microwave until soft
    Discard skin put in a mixing bowl and mash, add fat free milk to make them creamy and beat with a hand mixer.
    You can add some Splenda Brown Sugar mix to sweeten them up or salt and pepper to taste.

I serve mine with salt and pepper and fat free sour cream.

Sorry, I don't have exact measurements lol I kinda just "wing-it".

Happy Holidays!

P.S. Thanks for the pumpkin pie recipe!
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    One thing that has helped me quite a bit is using smoked turkey legs instead of bacon (or fatback/hamhocks, etc!!!!) in my greens/blackeyed peas/cabbage....or whatever. I still get the smokey flavor but waaaayyy less calories.

I have a lowER fat mac n cheese recipe that I'm working on...I'll let you know how it turns out!!! hahah!
This discussion has been closed.