PIZZA IDEAS!

Justins68ford
Justins68ford Posts: 16 Member
I already use the premade wheat thin crusts and I like to use buffalo sauce (zero calorie) for my pizza sauce, However, I cant think of a good low calorie solution to replace the mozzarella cheese I currently use to make my pizza any ideas on that? also give me some good new topping combinations for some low calorie pizza please! I currently really only make one pizza, delicious as it is. It is starting to get to be mondane.

Wheat thin crust
buffalo sauce
mozzarella
chicken
spinach

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Try making pesto with greens of your choice (I love using blanched kale and sorrel) and use as a sauce. You can use Mozzarella Di Bufala as cheese. It won't melt the same way but it's got less sodium for sure. I enjoy making a garlic, bean puree and making a breakfast pizza with this and a poached egg.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    My favorite food. I use the spinach tortilla, poke with a fork, put on a plate that has been sprayed with Pam and microwave 1 minute per side.. Watch it and it will become really crispy.. I put on sauce, toppings such as cooked mushrooms, olives cooked ham whatever you like with mozzarella on top. Put back in the microwave till hot and heated through. My husband uses the garlic tortilla for his or sun dried tomato. So many combinations. Experiment and enjoy. Hope this helps. Another one is Canadian bacon, pineapple and goat cheese on this kind of tortilla.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    My all-time favorite is pepperoni and pineapple. I don't like the ham in your typical Hawaiian pizza. . . I always ask them to substitute pepperoni. I'm totally making some pizza soon. OR alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce with some basil, mozzarella, crushed red pepper and parmesan on top. Maybe some spinach with that as well.
  • Madhatton
    Madhatton Posts: 26 Member
    Has anyone tried cauliflower bases?
    I'm dubious and yet curious, would love to know what you guys think....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Is it still pizza without cheese?

I make my own pizza too.....thin crust, turkey pepperoni, regular sauce (not high in calories anyway) mushrooms....and 2% mozzarella. I start my meal with a salad and have less pizza.

Lifestyle changes for me.....can't see tortilla "pizzas" or cheese free "pizzas" for the rest of my life. I like pizza too much.

Chicken & buffalo sauce does sound yummy.
  • mi2mina
    mi2mina Posts: 24 Member
    i make eggplant pizza rounds.. with turkey pepperoni, usually i use parmesan and really light motzarella. Also when i get bored i use a cauliflower pizza, or even zuchinni pizza boats, they take care of craving just like that ...use parmesan again more then motzarella
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I use lower fat mozzarella, I can't tell the difference and for me it's not pizza without cheese. And sometimes I'll add some Gorgonzola too. Yum.

I did one with barbecue sauce as base, and some chicken, peppers, onions and cheddar on top. It was good, but didn't really help with my pizza craving, so I was sorta bummed about that... so I'm sticking to mozzarella and pizza sauce from now on.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,010 Member
    I like to use caramelized onions to add a lot of flavor and then a small amount of fresh mozzi. It seems like fresh mozzi has less sodium & fat but I've never looked it up.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 341 Member
    I used to worry about the calories in my homemade pizza until I actually calculated it. It's actually lower in calories than the frozen "diet" pizza my friend lives on and even less than the cauliflower pizza recipes that some people use. Most people who make homemade pizza make the mistake of loading it up with mozzerella or using a fake cheese. But using a moderate amount of mozzerella that still shows sauce then sprinkiling with a bit of a blend of parmesian, romano, and asiago and baked in a hot oven will spread out to cover the sauce even if you dont add additional toppings. My pizza comes in at 242 calories for a 11" thin crust pizza. If I pair it with a salad and only eat half its only 121 so I count my pizza as one of my low calorie, guilt free, diet friendly meals! It's also a quick and easy dinner because the dough only rests for 5 minutes before rolling out the crust. Message me if you want the recipe or pictures.
  • lacaloia
    lacaloia Posts: 1 Member
    I created this Margerita pizza recipe and really like it (it's also super low in calories) Split a whole wheat pita in two to make rounds. Using only one round, grate a 2% string cheese stick and sprinkle over pita. Slice a Roma tomato thin and lay slices over cheese. Sprinkle with either chopped fresh or dry basil or Italian seasoning. Grate another string cheese and add on top. Bake at 400 degrees til done. This makes a really tasty thin crust pizza that is very low in calories (well under 250 calories depending on brands used)
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Two words: Pizza Waffle. Mix pizza toppings into waffle batter (make your own healthy version). Waffle that sucker and dip in sauce. So much awesomeness for not so many calories.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    I used to always get sausage & Mushroom on my pizza. In order to lower calories I replaced the sausage with ham, but it was kind of blah. I added roasted red peppers, not too many, they go a long way, and that's my new favorite pizza.
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Two words: Pizza Waffle. Mix pizza toppings into waffle batter (make your own healthy version). Waffle that sucker and dip in sauce. So much awesomeness for not so many calories.

That. Sounds. AMAZING.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Do you have a recipe? That sounds fabulous.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    I use part skim mozzarella--I need melted cheese on my pizza--but I first drop spoonfuls of ricotta (I use full fat, but that's just a preference) around the pie. A relatively light sprinkling of mozzarella and grated parmesan and I'm ready to go!
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    must try:

1 cup flour, 1 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup each cheese, 1/2 cup sauce. Might need slightly more flour to keep from sticking.
    Greek+Yogurt+Za.jpg

Just some nutrition facts to compare:
    Picture vs. Pizza Hut
    Whole pizza 720 calories vs. 3 slices cheese 720 calories
    Fat = 12g vs. 30g
    Sodium = 2053mg vs. 1620mg
    Potassium = 465mg vs. 0mg
    Carbs = 103mg vs. 78mg
    Protein = 53mg vs. 30mg
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    must try:

1 cup flour, 1 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup each cheese, 1/2 cup sauce. Might need slightly more flour to keep from sticking.
    Greek+Yogurt+Za.jpg

Just some nutrition facts to compare:
    Picture vs. Pizza Hut
    Whole pizza 720 calories vs. 3 slices cheese 720 calories
    Fat = 12g vs. 30g
    Sodium = 2053mg vs. 1620mg
    Potassium = 465mg vs. 0mg
    Carbs = 103mg vs. 78mg
    Protein = 53mg vs. 30mg
    We have made this recipe and can't believe it is so good. Friends loved it too.
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Is it still pizza without cheese?
    Heh, I grew up with the sauce-only pizza made by Cortese's in Binghamton. I think there was pecorino or parmesan in the sauce, though.