'Preparing' to stop smoking.

Options
2»

Replies

• helenprimorac
    Options
    I quit smoking 4 years ago using Thrive lozenges and began by slowly eliminating one cig per day and replacing it with a lozenge. I did this until I replaced more than have the cigs with lozenges and got tired of doing this. It didn't really take that long a few weeks maybe a month and a half. Eventually I got tired of smoking and picked a day to have my last smoke. 5-10-10 was my last cig. If you already quit before then you know the first few days are the hardest. The best advice I can give you if you don't want to gain weight is to start running. Instead of spending your money at a quit smoking clinic, buy yourself a treadmill and you will lose weight and the amount of oxygen your lungs get is enough to mimic the inhaling of the smoke. Your brain get the oxygen too. I run about 15-20 miles a week as often as I can and I never feel like smoking. I also eat very well!! Good Luck! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Smoking is a completely unnecessary thing to do. Just don't smoke anymore.
    And if you have depression, just snap out of it. A weight problem? Just eat less. Alcoholism or drug addiction? Just say no.

:sad:
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Smoking is a completely unnecessary thing to do. Just don't smoke anymore.
    And if you have depression, just snap out of it. A weight problem? Just eat less. Alcoholism or drug addiction? Just say no.

:sad:

Not only that but smoking is a persons choice. If someone wants to smoke then let them I say. They can be nothing BUT aware of the risks these days. Geez i thought we lived in a tolerant society. Well apparently discriminating against people because of their habits is just fine now.

I honest to god hope all you anti smoking nazi's realize what poor excuses for human beings you are.

Oh and before you ask I DID give up smoking, easily but that was my own damn choice and before when i didn't care about it's effects on my physical fitness you folks used to drive me right up the wall. And you know what if someone next to me wants to light up do i wave my hand in front of my face like a total nancy scuzzball NO! So suck it up people. Cos fact is cars are probably damaging your lungs way more than second hand smoke ever did. If the damage from that is even significant anyway.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I quit last week, cold turkey. My second time quitting cold turkey. Lasted nine years the first time. I've been snacking on a lot of fresh pineapple because I read that it's good for the lungs. Something about the enzyme bromelain. Even if that's pseudoscience, it's still full of awesome vitamin c.

I don't miss it and I don't have an addictive personality. I've seen how hard it is when you do. My roommate was out of cigs the other day, and positively begging and nagging me to give her money. I wish I could have taped her. It would be enough the turn anyone off of smoking.

Edit: autocorrect
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You must equate smoking as being painful. You also must replace it with something. Until you can do these things you will revert back.

Currently quitting smoking is more painful to you than smoking as you equate it with gaining weight. Change your mindset on this by replacing smoking with something more benificial. Instead of a smoke break at work take a breathing break. Something you've not had in a while. Most people smoke to breath deep, so try just going out and meditating with Deep breaths of fresh air. Replace it with good fresh living water. Water is life blood.

I've never smoked so I dont understand how hard it is to quit that vice.

I was an alcoholic and went cold turkey and quit I dont know the exact day because well I quit counting. Why? because why am I counting? So I know how long it was before I went back. Now I'm just not a drinker, I dont do that.

Good luck
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Smoking is a completely unnecessary thing to do. Just don't smoke anymore. My mom, dad, and brother were all heavy smokers (pack a day or more). They all quit. Dad quit to save money, mom quit because cancer is almost certain in the smokers in her side of the family, brother quit because he has a new baby.

There were no patches, pill, books, clinics, etc. that helped them. They simply chose to stop.

It's like everything in life. If you want to do it, you will do it.

Wow. You've clearly never had a physical addiction. It really isn't as easy as just not doing it or choosing to stop. Your body has a dependence on nicotine. You have to choose not once, but hundreds of times a day, when your body is craving that chemical and your mood is rollercoastering into an irrational rage and literally all you can think about is going to the store and getting one last pack. It's one of the most difficult things a person can accomplish. Please don't mischaracterize it as easy or simple.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    If you're really ready to do it you will! I went cold turkey almost six years ago. I did put on a few lbs but really not much. I don't know that I was "addicted" to cigarettes so much as I am a very oral person so if I wasn't smoking, I was drinking something or eating something. I was so ready to quit. I literally saw my colleagues in a car behind me puffing away and thought it looked kinda silly and said I'm done. Never had one or wanted one again.

Good luck and really easy to say, but don't worry about the weight it will come off. The vicious cycle of quitting... gaining... going back to smoking so you don't gain.... quitting ....

You know where I'm going with this. That's the real problem so if you want to quit do your best to make it happen :flowerforyou: