Options
2»

Replies

• Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Water and Your Diet: Staying Slim and Regular With H2O

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/water-for-weight-loss-diet

Well that's an awesome answer. Good information. :-)
  • LadyGrey75
    LadyGrey75 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This is exactly why cold beer is a zero calorie food. Keep it as cold as possible.
    [/quote]

Ha I LOVE they way you think!!!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you drink ice cold water your body will burn more calories to heat up the water.

OK... so I might try to work this out....

when you drink "ice cold water" you're not really drinking ICE lets just say the water is about 5˚C

one calorie is the amount of energy used to heat up 1 gram of water by 1 degree

body temperature is 37˚C.....

a pint of water weighs about 568g (apparently)

sooo.... 37 - 5 x 568 = 18,176

so according to my calculations you burn over 18 thousand calories just by drinking a pint of 5˚C water!

.... wait... did I go wrong somewhere?! :p

The Calorie in food Calories is capatilized as substitute for calling it a kcal or a kilocalorie. You are correct that the definition of a calorie is 1g by 1 degree C but 1 food Calorie is 1kg by 1 degree C. So a glass of water, 8 oz, is about 1/5th of a kilogram so to raise it 5 degrees is 1 food calorie. To raise it from 5 to 37 would be about 6 food calories and that is it.

I did the math in my head with estimates so its not spot on but you get the point.

In your example it would be 18 food Calories.

If a diet of 2000 calories was the 1g 1 deg celsius kind of calorie then you wouldn't be able to maintain your body temperature let alone your heart beat and brain function. No a 2000 Calorie diet is 2,000,000 calories.
  • TenderWalnut
    TenderWalnut Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your liver is important in a number of ways. One is that it assists in regulating blood sugar via glucagon/glycogen stores in your body. Hydrating properly helps it to perform at optimum capacity and can influence your weight one way or the other.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you drink ice cold water your body will burn more calories to heat up the water.

OK... so I might try to work this out....

when you drink "ice cold water" you're not really drinking ICE lets just say the water is about 5˚C

one calorie is the amount of energy used to heat up 1 gram of water by 1 degree

body temperature is 37˚C.....

a pint of water weighs about 568g (apparently)

sooo.... 37 - 5 x 568 = 18,176

so according to my calculations you burn over 18 thousand calories just by drinking a pint of 5˚C water!

.... wait... did I go wrong somewhere?! :p

The Calorie in food Calories is capatilized as substitute for calling it a kcal or a kilocalorie. You are correct that the definition of a calorie is 1g by 1 degree C but 1 food Calorie is 1kg by 1 degree C. So a glass of water, 8 oz, is about 1/5th of a kilogram so to raise it 5 degrees is 1 food calorie. To raise it from 5 to 37 would be about 6 food calories and that is it.

I did the math in my head with estimates so its not spot on but you get the point.

In your example it would be 18 food Calories.

If a diet of 2000 calories was the 1g 1 deg celsius kind of calorie then you wouldn't be able to maintain your body temperature let alone your heart beat and brain function. No a 2000 Calorie diet is 2,000,000 calories.

cool thanks for the extra info!

I was really only having a bit of a joke around with all the above, but now I know the difference between calories, Calories, and Kcal!