inches gone, but scale not moving?

Options
Is anyone else going through this? I am working out 5-6 times a week. I either do 30 DS or 45 minutes on the elliptical. My diet has been fairly good. I only started working out 3 weeks ago. Prior to that I was losing weight and had lost 24 pounds in 3 1/2 months. Since I started working out I have lost 2 pounds. I have lost many inches. Seriously, about 4 off my hips alone. And I am not complaining about this! I am wearing clothes I thought I wouldn't. I am soooo happy about this part. So my question is why aren't the scales moving? Even that last 2 pounds I lost flucuate (which I know is normal). The mathematical part of my brain won't let go of the fact that calories in/calories out, should leave me at a less weight. I don't log my water, but I drink a minimum of 2 liters a day. My diary is open, so please feel free to look through. I am not perfect, I could probably eat more veggies and fruit. Suggestions and encouragement are welcome! Also please let me know if you are also going through this.

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body is retaining water becaus you jumped into a pretty intense workout routine- its pretty typical when you push your muscles they need to retain water to heal. It will come off, give it time and when working out remember rest days can go as high as 2-3 per week (I personally Iike to have 1 week per month where I do fewer less intense workouts, give my body a break)
  • djscardi
    djscardi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You have to realize that fat weighs less then muscle, so as your building lean muscle, which is why you are losing inches, you are also gaining the weight in muscle. The good thing is is that muscle burns fat a lot faster, so even though your not seeing the scale move, you need to focus on the inches that you see going away. Just keep working at it though and I'm sure you will get to the weight you want to be at!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Execising will build muscle which is denser and weighs more than fat. Some times that is the reason we feel we are not making progress. Looking at the scale alone is not the whole story. Your inches are telling the tale.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    you're replacing fat with muscle. muscle weighs more so you are losing. Get your body fat % measured to see what youre achieving...we all like to see proof in numbers but when youre building muscle the only way is the tape measure and body fat % readings
  • cbonuz
    cbonuz Posts: 63
    Options
    You have described almost exactly what I've been going through. Everyone tells me its because I'm gaining muscle and losing fat. Muscle weighing more than fat. Don't know how true that is, but it sounds good :) I started today to not consult my scale for a month. Start again working out every day except weekends. I'll see how that works. Good luck!
  • deadeyelou
    Options
    I've got the same problem, but am staying the course, probably just a adjustment period. You are definitely not alone. Yesterday, I was complaining that I had 'stalled' -- my husband came back with, "No, you're just idling." I like that, and as silly as it sounds, it helped! continued good luck.
  • determined99
    Options
    exactly what i'm going through...you might want to read the topic in my profile... losing inches only and the feedback i got from others....
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am seeing the same thing, and I, too, and doing the 30 DS. I think what's happening is that you (and I) are gaining strength and muscle.....so, our bodies are becoming more dense and tight. I have lost a total of 1/2 inch from my waist and hips, and nothing according to the scale! So, now I can wear smaller jeans, but have lost no weight. It DOES NOT make any sense, but is happening.

Please keep up the 30 DS and the measuring your body! Sounds like the scale will eventually catch up with you (and me, too)! Good luck!
  • cbonuz
    cbonuz Posts: 63
    Options
    Oh and I actually gained 2-3 lbs!
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention but also remember that muscle weighs like 7 times more than fat. It's not only about weight loss but also about gaining muscle which will happen as long as you eat well and exercise. If you are losing inches that can only be a good thing right. Keep it up and WAY TO GO
  • RodgerBuckley
    RodgerBuckley Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    First of all Amy, less inches wins every time with me - regardless of what those scales are telling you :D Personally I don't care if I put 20 lbs on as long as I lose inches - well, maybe I do care but you get the picture ;0)

Secondly, what on earth is a 30 DS? Is it a new type of Nintendo console? Must be a US thing is it????
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body is retaining water becaus you jumped into a pretty intense workout routine- its pretty typical when you push your muscles they need to retain water to heal. It will come off, give it time and when working out remember rest days can go as high as 2-3 per week (I personally Iike to have 1 week per month where I do fewer less intense workouts, give my body a break)

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    First of all Amy, less inches wins every time with me - regardless of what those scales are telling you :D Personally I don't care if I put 20 lbs on as long as I lose inches - well, maybe I do care but you get the picture ;0)

Secondly, what on earth is a 30 DS? Is it a new type of Nintendo console? Must be a US thing is it????

Ha ha ha! "30 DS" is a Jillian Michaels circuit training DVD.....It combines aerobic movement, with strength training and ab work. It has 3 levels of difficulty, so you can adjust your workout daily. It's an awesome program (and is only 24 minutes including warm up and cool down).
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    That is awesome you are losing inches!!! Now, I did in the past 30 day shred. (That is how I found this site because I wanted to know what peoples results were.) One thing that was pretty uniform in my findings were that people lost inches and not weight with it. I have no clue why. This was the same for me also. I unfortunately could not finish the 30 day shred because my shins could not handle the jumping.

So don't get discouraged, keep track of your measurements. That is the best motivator!

And it is true muscle weighs more then fat. (Ugh, I tried so hard not to say it but it was hard to resist. LOL)
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You really are encouraging. It was nice to hear that others have dealt with this. I know it in my head, but good to "see" others with the same issue.
    Rodger: The 30 DS is the 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels. It is one intense workout.
    I will keep pressing on knowing that I am doing good for my body. I think I will also purchace a scale with the body fat measurer on it.
  • sheenabe
    sheenabe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh my do i know what you are going through!! I have been doing the P90X and I am on day 50 today! I have quite a bit of weight to lose...we are taking 50 60 pounds here and I have only lost like 8 pounds in 50 DAYS!!!! Argh I can't tell you how frustrating that is to me. I too have been losing inches but it just does not seem right that with all of the weight I have to get rid of that I am replacing it just as quickley with muscle??? I have decided to stop weighing myself as well, all I know for sure is that I feel 100% better for pushing play every morning. Good luck to you on your journey!!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    That was happening to me! My clothes were looser and I had only lost 3 lbs in 6weeks. But I measured myself the other day and had lost almose 10 inches off of each thigh,two inches in my hips and 2 1/2 inches in my waist! All of that for a measley 3 lbs!
    Muscle really does weigh more than fat!
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The scale lies, google the article "why the scale lies" for more insight.
    Also, muscle does not weigh more than fat, it just takes up less space.
    5 lbs. of muscle weighs exactly the same as 5 lbs. of fat ;)
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Hey garedds, I was having the exact same problem. I'm on Level 2 of the 30DS and while I was seeing inches come off, the scale hadn't moved in about three weeks. I didn't think it could be water retention because I'm usually pretty diligent about drinking all my water and tracking sodium. However, after an excessive sodium binge around Halloween I decided to try and "unbloat" myself. I drank nothing but water and herbal tea (naturally caffeine-free) for about 5 days and watched my sodium like a hawk. I continued my 30 DS and normal exercise routine.
    Today I weighed in 1lb lighter - the first scale movement I've seen in ages!! Maybe it's not much but it's something!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    The scale lies, google the article "why the scale lies" for more insight.
    Also, muscle does not weigh more than fat, it just takes up less space.
    5 lbs. of muscle weighs exactly the same as 5 lbs. of fat ;)

I guess "muscle is more dense" would be the right way to phrase it.