Sodium

Options
Sodium will be the end of me-- right now I'm just focusing on my calories and exercise so sodium is not my main concern these days, but I've started keeping an eye on it- well today I had grits and when I put it in here, the sodium was listed at 1400 for a small bowl of grits--- well I know instant grits have like 375 for sodium, so I don't really think that 1400 sounds realistic for a small bowl that aren't instant, but then again, I didn't know I was taking in the amount of sodium that I was--- anyone know it it really is that high or if that is just wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sodium is such a hard one to tackle. I mean if you are eating ANYTHING that you are not making from scratch, the sodium levels are insane. That was my main focus when I found out I had high blood pressure. Best thing that you can do is just try to read the labels. Alot of times there are pretty decent lower sodium options out there without sacrificing TOO much flavor. Also everyone reacts to sodium in different ways. Turns out my sodium levels were normal the day after going to a Twins game and eating salty hot dogs and peanuts (I was at the doc's the day after the game...Brilliant huh?) I found it frustrating thinking that I had to cut EVERYTHING from my diet. Instead of cutting it all out I just read labels more and try to moderate. Good luck
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Sounds right. Sodium is everywhere, kinda like sugar. I rarely go over my sodium intake. Keep an eye on low sodium options in certain foods, too.

If you go over by a lot, drink more water even.
  • wanderinghorn
    Options
    it sounds outrageous but is probably true...even the lower fat versions of chicken tacos at Taco Bell have MORE sodium than fuller fat versions of similar foods..go figure...I have been astonished at the sodium levels in things--here is the kicker: there is research that shows that excess sodium actually can cause some people to gain weight--When your body stores water from the excess sodium it goes into survivor mode and stores fat as well! Ugh! So much for my fat free pickles! I eat low fat/lower starch but my sodium has been over 5000!! I started paying close attention to it and just like patio says, unless you make it at home it will be through the roof on sodium..I guess to preserve it? Crazy!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hello:
    YOU have to Decide how much Sodium You are going to eat. Until your pallet changes, you cannot trust your taste. 1400mg of sodium is not quite a teaspoonful of table salt (You should ALWAYS Measure)....That's a LOT of salt for Anything to Me...but it is probably accurate. I'm a southern girl and I know grits can take sooome salt (Grits alone have NO Sodium.) When You say a "bowl" what do you mean? You must measure...Quaker Grits are dry 1/4C per serving (did you have 1, 2, 3, 4 servings to fill that "small bowl" and how much Salt did you use?) You know what You added to your food, right. What I do now is allot so much sodium to any dish I cook...because I use Sea Salt, I add it AFTER the cooking process and then I reserve a "pinch" for the top, so My tongue and lips can taste the salt through out the eating process. Sea Salt has less sodium per mg than than "table salt" and it is Natural and the TASTE is soooo good! To be Healthy, you really have to stay Conscious of what you are eating!
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! water water watervand more water for me today!