Do you count long shopping trips as exercise?

Options
I was trying to find some clothes for work yesterday and i ended up shopping/walking around 5 hours.
I walked across the mall (it's a pretty big mall) a few times, walked to nearby stores down the street, and to and from parking lot.
I have myfitnesspal set as as sedentary and i normally try to eat 1200-1330 calories a day.
I got a headache towards the end and took a break to eat. Overall, I ended up eating more than usual and when i got home I was really tired. I wasn't sure if i should count some of my shopping trip as exercise.
Do you guys count these type of activities as exercise? Is it okay to eat more on these days?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't, but 5 hours of walking is pretty good exercise. It really depends how much of that you were sitting in a car, standing still looking through the racks, trying on clothes, waiting for a friend to try on clothes, etc. and how fast you were moving when walking. Two people can both say they went shopping for 5 hours and one can burn 150 calories while the other burns 1000 calories.

If you could find an accurate log for the distance you walked, I would use that to estimate calories burned. If you can't find that, you could just add 50-100 calories per hour out if you want to be conservative.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it counts! You were moving, weren't you?
    Enter it under cardiovascular as something like "walking, 2 mph, slow pace".
    Depending on how much you weigh, that could be 250 calories per hour.
    Don't eat back all those calories, only maybe 1/3 to 1/2 if you're really hungry on your normal amount.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    No I don't :smile:
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I do not. But, 1200-1300 calories is a fairly low calorie goal for most women, so if you ate more than usual, I'm sure you will be just fine, especially with the added activity.
  • Kakeslyn
    Kakeslyn Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This would give me a great excuse to go shopping more often.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    no
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Anything that I do not do on a regular basis is counted as exercise. I normally do not walk around the mall, so when I do for hours it is counted. You're moving right?! Your burning calories. Its walking.
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am set at sedentary as well, so if it is several hours, I will log it but put a shorter amount of time because I eat my exercise cals back and MFP can overestimate. If I'm out most of the day, I will put 1, maaaybe 2 hours of walking at a slow pace.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't count stuff like that.. or cleaning or cooking.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i dont log it.. just like i dont log it if i do laundry or something like that. if im extra hungry then i would eat something else but if i did like you and waited too long to eat, i would probably have alot of trouble trying to keep in check and not actually binge because by then id be starving.
  • eklavon84
    eklavon84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't; I just count a daily life, kinda like cleaning, they have an option for that as excersice as well as cooking. But if you do count it, It waould be a slow pace and you gotta think how much of those 5 hrs were you actually walking...not trying one, looking at a rack, standing in line waiting. ect...
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how I do not take shopping trips to the mall, if I were to do so for several hours I would log it as exercise because it is outside of my norm.

I would not log things I do normally - like chores around the house. But for example a couple weekends ago I did hours of yardwork/gardening which I do NOT normally do (I should, but I don't) and I was ravenous and I definitely logged exercise from that. Just not at "full value". Like I worked in the yard for 3 hours straight and logged "Gardening" for 60 minutes.

If this was an anomaly for you I would count it as exercise. If you regularly shop as part of your normal activity level I would not.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I walk laps around the store while my wife shops, and I do count that. But when I'm shopping, I go in and get what I need and get out. Not too much of a burn there.
  • EverSinging
    EverSinging Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was trying to find some clothes for work yesterday and i ended up shopping/walking around 5 hours.
    I walked across the mall (it's a pretty big mall) a few times, walked to nearby stores down the street, and to and from parking lot.
    I have myfitnesspal set as as sedentary and i normally try to eat 1200-1330 calories a day.
    I got a headache towards the end and took a break to eat. Overall, I ended up eating more than usual and when i got home I was really tired. I wasn't sure if i should count some of my shopping trip as exercise.
    Do you guys count these type of activities as exercise? Is it okay to eat more on these days?

I think it's fair game if it's fairly far beyond the scope of your regular activity.
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Only if I have to go to Wal-Mart and that's because I want to make it out of that crazy *kitten* place alive.:happy:
  • sheschemes
    sheschemes Posts: 67
    Options
    I do. My activity level is genuinely sedentary while I recover from an injury, so anything extra that I do gets logged.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    To make it a better exerice... don't use a cart... carry everying in one or two baskets or bag... even if you don't buy anything carry some cans of soup..

work it out....^^

a can is 8 ounces so two cans is 1lbs...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Before I got my Bodymedia, I only counted things that got my heart rate up. So, I would log a run or jog or time on the elliptical, but I wouldn't log lifting, walking, shopping, gardening, etc.

The Bodymedia adjusts my calories for the number of steps and intensity, so it takes the guesswork out of all of this.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I go to shows and spend 2-3 hours walking up and down the aisles...you're darn right I count it. I log it as a slow pace and only count about half the time as actual exercise, but it still counts,. You aren't on the couch eating chips and watching TV..you are moving after all. JM2C