Binge Eating?

Options
Ive recently been binge eating once or twice a week (today i consumed around 3670 kcal) and i dont know why i keep doing it. What the hell is going on. Its killing everything ive worked for and I feel so freakin ****ty every time it happens. I cant workout the next day either because i usually get sick which doesnt help the way i feel. Has anybody else run into this at all

PS: weight is 155 lbs 20 year old male, usually net around 1700 kcal a day (about 2400 intake -700 from workout) usually exercise 5-6 times a week

Replies

• jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do this if I've been restricting too much...either too few calories or less variety caused by cutting out too many food options (eg. carbs). I think it's usually a sign your body needs something.
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    it's called selfcontrol, brah
  • jjl1124
    jjl1124 Posts: 3
    Options
    That happened to me when I was on the brink of anorexia. I couldn't control it, no matter what I did. It got worse before it got better. Maybe you're stressed or just not getting enough nutrients. Do something that relaxes you or distracts you if you feel the urge to keep eating. Make sure you're not starving yourself.
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Self control has nothing to do with it!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have a few thoughts here, take what you will from it. First, you are young and active, you should be able to lose while eating much more than 1700 calories. I suspect your body it telling you to feed it a bit more. Second, although you are eating more, your diary shows you set at 1200 calories for your target per day. I suggest looking at that. While I get that you are not actually eating that low, it will throw off your macro targets and that could be causing some trouble as well. Third, I would recommend reading about and considering following the TDEE method. It will likely give you a much higher daily calorie goal, but does include exercise, so you will have just the one target to aim for. Here's a great read which will give you a lot of information about TDEE:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It's a lot to read, but well worth it. I hope something in this is helpful for you.

ETA: Ignore the self control guy.
  • surfstarved
    Options
    I’m sick of my relationship with food.
    I am pretty much average weight, but I’d like to be slim. I always wanted to be thin even when i was very thin. This mindset that I’m always too fat has probably led me to become chubby.
    Anyway, I need help.
    I have tried mindful eating and have found this to be the most effective thing but i still suffer from binge eating disorder and it’s killing me. The worst part about it is not the actual eating or the weight gained. It’s the way my thoughts about food control how i feel and act. Like if i eat well and restricted amounts for a week i feel exceptional - elated. If i eat poorly for one night i feel like i am a failure and should not bother trying to achieve anything.
    This problem effects every aspect of my life.
    Any tips?
    I think i just need to talk/write about it so that i can figure out what the real problem is.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ive recently been binge eating once or twice a week (today i consumed around 3670 kcal) and i dont know why i keep doing it. What the hell is going on. Its killing everything ive worked for and I feel so freakin ****ty every time it happens. I cant workout the next day either because i usually get sick which doesnt help the way i feel. Has anybody else run into this at all

PS: weight is 155 lbs 20 year old male, usually net around 1700 kcal a day (about 2400 intake -700 from workout) usually exercise 5-6 times a week

how tall are you? sounds like your body is trying to tell you it needs more fuel... i net 1700 cals a day and i am 20lbs lighter and only workout half an hour 6 x a week...
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    how tall are you? sounds like your body is trying to tell you it needs more fuel... i net 1700 cals a day and i am 20lbs lighter and only workout half an hour 6 x a week...
    [/quote]

Not an expert, but when I tried 1200 restriction and then 5 : 2, I overrate regularly. I found that behaviour scary! Eat to TDEE - 20% and exercise is incorporated. Calorie calculator at www.scoobys.com