Healthy Family Meals when your broke & not a good cook?

Options

Replies

• LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    One of my family's favorites is really quick and tasty. I use ground turkey and brown it. While it is cooking I take about a cup and a half of salsa and add it to the ground turkey. If I don't have salsa I will use Ro-tel or a can of diced tomatoes. I use the McCormick or Mrs. Dash spicy seasoning and add enough to taste. (More or less...depending on how you like it) Take the mixture and place it on a tortilla and add lettuce, fat free sour cream and cheese, if you like. You can also serve this with rice. OR...mix it with macaroni. It's more calories with the rice and macaroni. You don't have to use taco seasoning and there is less sodium in this version and if you really want to cut the salt...make your own salsa with fresh ingredients. It is awesome for lunch the next day!

Another inexpensive meal my family likes is Beer Butt Chicken. Take a can of beer and pour out (or drink) half of it. Add whatever spices you like to the beer. Use seasoning on the outside of your chicken. Make sure there are no giblets in the center of the chicken cavity (take them out if there is). Place the beer can in the center of a large poasting pan and then slide the chicken down over the beer can. You may have to open the cavity a little so that it slides down easily. Make an aluminum foil tent over the chicken and place on a rack low enough in the oven so that there is about 8 inches of space from the top of the oven and the chicken. Roast in the oven as per package directions. When there is about 30 minutes left spray the outside of the chicken with Pam (I use the butter tasting kind). You can use the leftovers in quesadilla's, chicken soup, chicken salad, on top of a salad, etc. .. A whole chicken is not expensive and will feed two people at least 4 meals!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This is what I threw in the crockpot last nite...

Diced up onion, carrots, celery, red pepper and garlic.
    Added brown rice, an inexpensive piece of roast ($3.50) and poured lower sodium beef broth on top.

Not sure of calories as I haven't put it in yet, but pretty tasty. And it makes a lot!!! You can freeze it too.
    Just need to experiment a little with spices. I added a little pepper and think I should have put a little extra garlic in.
    Very inexpensive for the quantity you get....
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas, keep them coming! I really needed some help on this!
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post Virgo. Some great foods I will try also.
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    Here is a plan that I came across years ago and lost ~50 pounds on. If you follow it to the letter it does work. I don't do rule #4 to excess as I found i would gain everything back I lost. I do eat the things I really like that aren't so good for me on the off day.

Fat Loss via Better Science and Simplicity
    It is possible to lose 20 lbs. of bodyfat in 30 days by optimizing any of three factors: exercise, diet, or drug/supplement regimen. I’ve seen the elite implementation of all three in working with professional athletes. In this post, we’ll explore what I refer to as the “slow-carb diet”.
    In the last six weeks, I have cut from about 180 lbs. to 165 lbs., while adding about 10 lbs. of muscle, which means I’ve lost about 25 lbs. of fat. This is the only diet besides the rather extreme Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD) that has produced veins across my abdomen, which is the last place I lose fat (damn you, Scandinavian genetics). Here are the four simple rules I followed…
    Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates
    Avoid any carbohydrate that is — or can be — white. The following foods are thus prohibited, except for within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length: bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating anything white, you’ll be safe.
    Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again
    The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. Mix and match, constructing each meal with one from each of the three following groups:
    Proteins:
    Egg whites with one whole egg for flavor
    Chicken breast or thigh
    Grass-fed organic beef
    Pork
    Legumes:
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Pinto beans
    Vegetables:
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Peas
    Mixed vegetables
    Eat as much as you like of the above food items. Just remember: keep it simple. Pick three or four meals and repeat them. Almost all restaurants can give you a salad or vegetables in place of french fries or potatoes. Surprisingly, I have found Mexican food, swapping out rice for vegetables, to be one of the cuisines most conducive to the “slow carb” diet.
    Most people who go on “low” carbohydrate diets complain of low energy and quit, not because such diets can’t work, but because they consume insufficient calories. A 1/2 cup of rice is 300 calories, whereas a 1/2 cup of spinach is 15 calories! Vegetables are not calorically dense, so it is critical that you add legumes for caloric load.

Rule #3: Don’t drink calories
    Drink massive quantities of water and as much unsweetened iced tea, tea, diet sodas, coffee (without white cream), or other no-calorie/low-calorie beverages as you like. Do not drink milk, normal soft drinks, or fruit juice. I’m a wine fanatic and have at least one glass of wine each evening, which I believe actually aids sports recovery and fat-loss. Recent research into resveratrol supports this.
    Rule #4: Take one day off per week
    I recommend Saturdays as your “Dieters Gone Wild” day. I am allowed to eat whatever I want on Saturdays, and I go out of my way to eat ice cream, Snickers, Take 5, and all of my other vices in excess. I make myself a little sick and don’t want to look at any of it for the rest of the week. Paradoxically, dramatically spiking caloric intake in this way once per week increases fat loss by ensuring that your metabolic rate (thyroid function, etc.) doesn’t downregulate from extended caloric restriction. That’s right: eating pure crap can help you lose fat. Welcome to Utopia.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    There has been alot of good ideas given so far. I quite often buy rotisserie chickens & they do for two meals. I usually cut off the breast meat for a second meal. Have the rest as a just meat with potatoes or rice & veggies of some kind. Or salad. Then I use the breast meat cut up with veggies of all kinds in a stir-fry or cut up breast meat that I add tomatoes or pasta sauce, some veggies such as zuchini, onions, peppers & make a pasta sauce to put over pasta, for the second meal. I buy them when they go on sale & freeze them. You just have to defrost them & put the pieces in the oven for 20 minutes to warm up again, for the first meal & save the breast meat for the second meal.
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options

first i get the veggies prepared so i can just toss them in the pan when its time. I know "real cooks" might have a better way to cook than i do, but here is what i do: Get a pan nice and hot, not HIGH, but still nice and warm. I use cast iron skillets so i dont need much olive oil added because the pan is old and well-seasoned. Anyhooo, i digress! Add a Tbsp or so of oil to your pan then throw in the garlic, onions, peppers (i really love yellow peppers!) cut into strips or ~ 1 inch chunks, zukes and squash either cut into disks or ~ 1 inch chunks and just keep moving them around in the pan till they start to develop a golden color. Then dump the tomatoes over top and heat that thru. You can turn it down and simmer on low if you want or serve, as-is now. You can use an immersion blender and make the veggies into a smooth sauce (what i do to get my kids to eat it) or leave it chunky (the way the adults prefer). You will want to hit it with a bit of black pepper and sea salt, to taste but try to go with the "less is more" route. .... If you are turning it into a spaghetti (smooth) sauce, you might want to try adding things like basil as well.

Thank you so much! Do I have to do anything besides wash everything first (do I wash garlic?) and then chop/slice it? is there a method to chop garlic? Geeeez, I am such a veggie noob, LOL! I have never even used EVOO, but I have been meaning to. I could just add all this to spaghetti sauce and serve it over spaghetti too? or rice? are roma tomatoes different tasting than on the vine tomatoes (the only kind I have tried (raw)
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Oven fried chicken might help you replace that McDonald's $1 sandwich craving. It's really simple to make, and I highly recommend using cornflakes in the breading to make it crunchy! Add a little fat free or lite ranch dressing for dipping.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    Thank you so much! Do I have to do anything besides wash everything first (do I wash garlic?) and then chop/slice it? is there a method to chop garlic? Geeeez, I am such a veggie noob, LOL! I have never even used EVOO, but I have been meaning to. I could just add all this to spaghetti sauce and serve it over spaghetti too? or rice? are roma tomatoes different tasting than on the vine tomatoes (the only kind I have tried (raw)

nope, no need to wash garlic. Just pull a clove (small segment) from the bulb, peel the papery skin away, trim the end and mince/slice finely. No need to get super particular about the tomatoes.. whatever you get the best deal on is fine. Canned is fine too. Roma/plum/italian tomatoes tend to have more "meat" to them and less juicy seedy part. They are good for cooking and are usually pretty cheap.

You CAN add this to spaghetti sauce if you want, but it basically IS spaghetti sauce, just in chunky form (so is good on the chunkier pastas like spirals and penne). If you want a smooth sauce, you can toss it in a blender (or use an immersion blender) to smooth it out. You can even take that puree and dilute it 50/50 with a jarred sauce from the store. Your choice!
  • qwho
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    nope, no need to wash garlic. Just pull a clove (small segment) from the bulb, peel the papery skin away, trim the end and mince/slice finely.

I like to "peel" my garlic by taking a broad knife (i use my butcher's knife or meat cleaver, really) and smashing it. the paper falls away leaving me with a lovely garlic clove ready to be chopped, minced or pureed.

we eat garlic almost every day, and a lot of it. peeling it stinks, but smashing it is, well, smashing!

edit: save the "skins" and bottoms and add it to your soup stock. if you're still collecting items to make a soup stock (carrot & celery tops, other greens, onion skins & parts, etc) save everything in the freezer.

put your "discards" into a pot covered with water, boil, cover, simmer until a rich, lovely aroma ensues.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    There has been alot of good ideas given so far. I quite often buy rotisserie chickens & they do for two meals. I usually cut off the breast meat for a second meal. Have the rest as a just meat with potatoes or rice & veggies of some kind. Or salad. Then I use the breast meat cut up with veggies of all kinds in a stir-fry or cut up breast meat that I add tomatoes or pasta sauce, some veggies such as zuchini, onions, peppers & make a pasta sauce to put over pasta, for the second meal. I buy them when they go on sale & freeze them. You just have to defrost them & put the pieces in the oven for 20 minutes to warm up again, for the first meal & save the breast meat for the second meal.

don't forget, if you buy a whole rotisserie chicken, save those bones and make soup stock. freeze what you don't use immediately. you'll have amazing chicken soup for the winter this way!
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    Crock pots are your friend.........You don't have to be a great cook to make fabulous dishes with one. vegetables are fairly reasonable, and the best part is it's impossible to destroy food in a crock pot unless you add too much salt.
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • helengator1
    Options
    I'm so glad someone asked this question and that it got so many excellent answers! So many of us struggle with this and all of these suggestions will help my family tremendously! Thanks everyone! :happy:
  • heather19th
    Options
    It's Good For You cookbook is great from Pampered Chef. In this cookbook it gives you Nutrition Facts.

I sell a ton of these and everyone who has bought one LOVES it. I have mine on its way and I can't wait to use it.

www.pamperedchef.biz/heatherflock

Check it out:
    Shop Online
    You do not need to have a host to order either and it will ship directly to you!
  • qwho
    Options
    I love using my crock pot, but I am afraid to ever use it unless I am home,
    so I can never come home to a crock pot meal ... I know lots of people
    go away and leave their's cooking unattended, but I am afraid of a fire
    plus I have two cats I would not want to put in harm's way, how do I get
    over this phobia?
  • Jamison3
    Options
    lowcalorieideas.com is a great place to get low cal crock pot meals...double them and freeze them...even my kids like them!
  • nuttynetty114
    nuttynetty114 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Some very good ideas :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Chicken Gyros - slice a grilled/sauteed chicken breast (marinated in a little olive oil, salt pepper and oregano) and place in a pita with red onions, tomato, and tzatziki sauce (greek yogurt, cucumber and garlic)
    Omelets with veggies and cheese

Good luck :)

This is one of my favorite meals Chicken Gyros are amazing and so delicious I also make them with other meats. Lots of lettuce, fresh baby spinach and red onion. Make your own sauce its so good fresh!