Swimming and running

Options
sloseph
sloseph Posts: 157 Member
so last night i went for my first swim in about 10 year and really enjoyed it, ideally i'd like to go 3 times week

the problem is i'm also running 3 time a week and i'd like to keep doing that but i really dislike working out at the weekend

so the obvious solution is using Monday Wednesday and Friday as my workout day and doing both running and swimming on the same day, but i don't know if that's too much for my body to handle

do you this is ok or is it just too much?

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different see how it goes if it's too much reduce the length of the run or the amount of swimming you do and then build it up. :)
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Nowt wrong with that. Your body will soon tell you when you've done too much.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    so the obvious solution is using Monday Wednesday and Friday as my workout day and doing both running and swimming on the same day, but i don't know if that's too much for my body to handle

do you this is ok or is it just too much?

If it works for you, that's fine. A big factor is how long each session would be, but it doesn't sound like a huge amount at the moment.

As times increase you might want to slip that to alternate swim/ run with one day of two sessions, then weekends off.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    thats great thanks everyone for getting back to me so quickly

i'm only running for about 35 minuets and will only be swimming for about the same amount of time so nothing to strenuous so it should be fine

i'll just see how it goes
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - sounds good to me. I usually run for about 30 minutes to deliberately bring up the internal heat before running straight out into the sea for a 30 minute swim - otherwise its too bloomin' cold!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I know of a few people who run & swim on the same day, one more experienced runner during summer at least will run to pool, swim and then run home with something in the region of 25-30km of running for the day.

So I think it's like everything else, listen to your body and don't over do it.
  • ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do both on the same day quite a bit. The biggest limitation for me is not whether my body can handle it, it's sometimes finding the motivation to do a second workout. I typically run in the early morning and swim around noon.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's doable but as others say listen to your body, the great thing about swimming is it's easy on your joints (which running is less so) so you may find it quite therapeutic/relaxing.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    :-p go for a cycle too :-)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    thats great thanks everyone for getting back to me so quickly

i'm only running for about 35 minuets and will only be swimming for about the same amount of time so nothing to strenuous so it should be fine

i'll just see how it goes

shouldn't be an issue. to put it in some context as far as I'm concerned, I'm comfortable running to the pool, about 4km, swimming for an hour and then runing home. sometimes I'll make up the extra couple of km to cover 10 in total.

Perfectly reasonable.