What does alcohol really do?

Options
2»

Replies

• FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    moderate I mean no more than THREE drinks a week is good for your heart and cardiovascular sysytem, but NOT during the initial industion to wt loss phase it is just empty calories with wine(AOX) and Beer(Cromium and AOX) being exceptions, and when your body can have that treat do it!!!! Just beware the BOOZE MUNCHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have changed everything about my life. Much healthier eating, working out 6 days a week, and while I have gained some nice muscle so far, I haven't lost a pound or my tummy. The only thing I haven't given up is my drinking...guess there is some truth to it being REALLY bad to a diet even if you count the calories.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I was going to have a glass of wine. Not sure now????
    :drinker: :explode: :drinker:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting article about alcohol:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=563

Not from a doctor but it's good info just the same.
  • GreggChr
    GreggChr Posts: 6
    Options
    Obviously how your body responses to alcohol is different with each individual.

I was on a similiar calorie counting diet about five years ago. I drank wine throughout my dieting efforts and lost twenty pounds. The trick for me was to be sure to consume less calories on the day that I drank. Personally for me, I was still successful on my diet!
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For every article you read about the benefits of alcohol consumption, another seems to warn you of its risks. You might find such conflicting information confusing and frustrating.

Though moderate alcohol use seems to have some health benefits, anything more than moderate drinking can negate any potential benefits. Moderate drinking is defined as two drinks a day if you're a male under 65, or one drink a day if you're a female or a male over 65.

So should you avoid alcohol? Or can you continue to enjoy your glass of wine with dinner? It's up to you and your doctor. Here are some points on alcohol consumption for you to consider.

Health benefits

Moderate alcohol consumption may provide some health benefits. It may:

Reduce your risk of developing heart disease, peripheral vascular disease and intermittent claudication
    Reduce your risk of dying of a heart attack
    Possibly reduce your risk of strokes, particularly ischemic strokes
    Lower your risk of gallstones
    Possibly reduce your risk of diabetes

Health risks

Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to serious health problems, including:

Cancer of the pancreas, mouth, pharynx, larynx, esophagus and liver, as well as breast cancer
    Pancreatitis, especially in people with high levels of triglycerides in their blood
    Sudden death in people with cardiovascular disease
    Heart muscle damage (alcoholic cardiomyopathy) leading to heart failure
    Stroke
    Brain atrophy (shrinkage)
    Cirrhosis of the liver
    Miscarriage
    Fetal alcohol syndrome in an unborn child, including impaired growth and nervous system development
    Injuries due to impaired motor skills
    Suicide

What counts as a drink?

A drink is defined as 12 ounces (oz.) of beer, 5 oz. of wine or 1.5 oz. of 80-proof distilled spirits. Again, keep in mind that people age 65 and older shouldn't drink more than one drink a day. With increasing age, adults break down alcohol more slowly, leading them to become intoxicated more quickly and increasing alcohol's damaging effects.

Who shouldn't drink alcohol?

People with certain health conditions shouldn't drink any alcohol, as even small amounts could cause problems. Don't drink alcohol if you have:

A history of a hemorrhagic stroke
    Liver disease
    Pancreatic disease
    Evidence of precancerous changes in the esophagus, larynx, pharynx or mouth
    If you have a family history of alcoholism, be particularly cautious when it comes to drinking, as you are at higher risk of alcoholism. And if you're pregnant, avoid alcohol entirely because of the health risks for your unborn baby.

In addition, alcohol interacts with many common prescription and over-the-counter medications. Check with your doctor, if you take:

Antibiotics
    Anticoagulants
    Antidepressants
    Diabetes medications
    Antihistamines
    Anti-seizure medications
    Beta blockers
    Pain relievers
    Sleeping pills
    If you combine alcohol with aspirin, you face an increased risk of gastrointestinal bleeding. And if you use alcohol and acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), you increase your risk of liver damage. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration requires all over-the-counter pain relievers and fever reducers to carry a warning label advising those who consume three or more drinks a day to consult with their doctors before using the drug.

What to make of all the evidence

Weigh the pros against the cons of moderate drinking and decide whether drinking is OK for you. Be sure to consult your doctor if you have questions or are unsure.

Above all, don't feel pressured to drink. Few medical experts, if any, advise nondrinkers to start drinking. But if you do drink and you're healthy, there's no need to stop as long as you drink responsibly and in moderation.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just beware the BOOZE MUNCHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :drinker: Munchies.That's why I can't drink! Ok, I do drink on weekends sometimes anyway, but any and all will power fly out the window and don't come back till Tuesday. When I know we're going out for a drink or two or four, I am very careful with what I eat that day, I eat much less and try to be extra healthy to make up for what I'm about to do! And you can bet I'm dragging my butt out for a long walk the next day.