Getting put on Prednisone :(

coronalime
coronalime Posts: 583 Member
edited September 22 in Motivation and Support
Killed my knee and we cant get the inflammation down. I am going on the steroid prednisone which swells you up, causes you to not sleep and makes you very hungry...Cant work out, cant do ANYTHING for 2 weeks. I am so down. I had/have only 15 pds to go.Guess my pity party is over

Replies

• caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Ugh I hate Prednisone. I've been on that before, as well.

All I can say is do the best you can while you're on it. Don't write the entire time off. Keep eating as best you can. Maybe try and do some upper body exercises even though your knee won't cooperate. Maybe you'll just stand still for a while but in the bigger picture just remember you've come so far and you're still going forward! You will get through this! Stay positive and keep smiling!
  • I know what you mean. I have to go on it from time to time with my Lupus. Probably about 3 or 4 times this year. Make sure that you have good food to snack on, and not lots of empty calorie garbage.

At least I get to feel better when I am on prednisone.

If you are on it for an auto-immune disease you might want to check out "The Lupus Recovery Diet". I started that about 8 weeks ago, and it has been life changing in a positive way. I feel much better. I still have bad days but not as often or as bad.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    Can you get some swimming, yoga, stretching in or ask for physical therapy? Where there's a will, there's a way!!! Even wheelchair bound people in nursing homes get some sort of exercise.
  • My mom has lupus so she has been on prednisone since 1991. It's a hell of a drug! Just try to realize as you go throughout your day that if you start feeling different than usual, to give yourself a break and try to recollect yourself.

Good luck!
  • coronalime
    Can you get some swimming, yoga, stretching in or ask for physical therapy? Where there's a will, there's a way!!! Even wheelchair bound people in nursing homes get some sort of exercise.

I am not allowed any form of working out (minus upper body) But absolutely no yoga, or stretching or walking until after my MRI comes back. I have it this week and results read on Friday along with work up from the drained fluid. Cant even swim the dr said that it may not be weight baring but its still the movement. I am bascially suppose to keep walking to a minimum but its not an issue right now since I could probably stand to use some crutches.
  • coronalime
    I know what you mean. I have to go on it from time to time with my Lupus. Probably about 3 or 4 times this year. Make sure that you have good food to snack on, and not lots of empty calorie garbage.

At least I get to feel better when I am on prednisone.

If you are on it for an auto-immune disease you might want to check out "The Lupus Recovery Diet". I started that about 8 weeks ago, and it has been life changing in a positive way. I feel much better. I still have bad days but not as often or as bad.

Is that a book by Jill Harrington?. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and I have celiac and thyroid and PCOS and everything else auto immune...I am on Humira which suppresses your immune system. A couple things come up so I just wanted to clarify. Hopefully my library has it!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Ugh I hate Prednisone. I've been on that before, as well.

All I can say is do the best you can while you're on it. Don't write the entire time off. Keep eating as best you can. Maybe try and do some upper body exercises even though your knee won't cooperate. Maybe you'll just stand still for a while but in the bigger picture just remember you've come so far and you're still going forward! You will get through this! Stay positive and keep smiling!

I agree, do what you can. This is only a bump in the road. I have heard that when people read about healthy living, eating, exercise, ect, they are more likely to stick with a healthy plan. So count calories, read up on healthy living, and try your best.

:flowerforyou: You will get through this!
  • Yeah it is the Jill Harrington book that you are asking about. Good stuff. It has helped me so much. It sounded too good to be true, but I tried it and it has helped a lot.
  • I got put on it again Friday. Figured that I was going to gain a lot of weight. But I lost a pound so far, and broke through a plateau.
This discussion has been closed.