Replacement for milk?

Options
I love milk, grew up drinking it at every meal. My problem is that there's soooo much sugar in it! Is there a good replacement for milk without losing the benefits the calcium and such? I've heard Almond milk is good but I don't want to buy it only to discover it tastes horrible. Any ideas?

Replies

• letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love blue diamond almond milk, vanilla and chocolate are my faves.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I was vegetarian I used to use soy milk, but the plain variety isn't so great. With soy, almond or rice milk the flavored varieties will have more sugar (comparable to regular cow's milk) than the plain flavor.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I love Blue Diamond Almond milk....I only drink the original flavor. It tastes real nice. They have a low sugar one, or something like that, which is in a smaller box.

Even my kids drink it. I haven't bought regular milk in my house in years. First I had switched to the Soy milk, but then since this year, I started on the Almond and haven't looked back since,
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to milk. I loooooooooooove almond milk - it is mild, creamy, and delicious. I also use it in recipes that call for milk.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love unsweetened Almond Breeze.. Much lower calories than regular milk. Low gylcemic index, also.

Unsweetened Variety:
    Original - 40 Calories
    Vanilla- 40 Calories
    Chocolate- 45 Calories

I definitely keep several on hand at all times. I loveee it. :)
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Almond milk rocks!! I occasionally drink soy, but it is usually the plain almond milk, sooooo good. Buy a small one, maybe try some almond and soy milk, they do come in small containers, and find what you like the best. Rice milk is also pretty good.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Oh, and I am also a big fan specifically of either Silk or Blue Diamond Original Almond Milk. They are identical nutrition-wise (I compared labels). You can buy it in any grocery store - it's usually right next to the regular milk. I know prices are different in different parts of the country, but it is around $3 for a half gallon where I live.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have to jump on the bandwagon... almond milk is amazing. You should try it!
  • serena22289
    serena22289 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'll definitely have to get a small container and try it for myself. 0g of sugar and 40 calories is definitely worth a little extra money wise!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Not sure what brand you guys are using to get only 40 calories...my almond milk has 60. It is the plain almond milk, not vanilla. Vanilla is good, but loaded with sugar. Plain has no fat and less sugar than skim cow's milk according to the back of my box.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Original almond milk has 60 calories/serving.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. However, it doesn't not taste anything like cow's milk. It is a unique type of delicious.