HMR Diet Shake only

Options
Is there anyone else out there doing the HMR, shake only diet? I am new to myfitnessplal, but have been doing the HMR shakes only for the past 7 weeks and I would like to be friends with someone who is also on the HMR diet so we can motivate one another. Thanks -- Mary:happy:

Replies

• amyangel777
    Options
    please share what this diet is? I may be interested :)
  • KHoffmann08
    KHoffmann08 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did HMR for about a year when i was in middle school. I lost a bunch of weight. When i stopped doing it i gained all the weight back and then some. Its a good program if you stick with it. I was using it as a quick fix and not really as a lifestyle change. I am working again to get back into shape but I'm changing my frame of mind and lifestyle first. I may start to incorporate the shakes again though. They were very filling and you can make then taste pretty good. i used to blend some ice, frozen strawberries, and a little bit of jell-o fat free sugar free cheesecake pudding mix. Very good.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I did HMR for about a year when i was in middle school. I lost a bunch of weight. When i stopped doing it i gained all the weight back and then some. Its a good program if you stick with it. I was using it as a quick fix and not really as a lifestyle change. I am working again to get back into shape but I'm changing my frame of mind and lifestyle first. I may start to incorporate the shakes again though. They were very filling and you can make then taste pretty good. i used to blend some ice, frozen strawberries, and a little bit of jell-o fat free sugar free cheesecake pudding mix. Very good.
    Good for you!:flowerforyou: Eating healthy and working out is what keeps the weight off as we've all learned it's not the fad diets that can do that! Changing our lifestyles to incorporate healthier foods and making exercises part of that lifestyle is what will be a life long change and not only keep our bodies healthy but the weight off long term as well. Shakes, shots, pills, they might drop the weight fast and short term but it won't stay off :frown: and isn't that what we really want to be keeping the weight off once and for all?!.:love:
  • Mrsfoxtrot
    Mrsfoxtrot Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Amyangel777,

I am on HMR program, medically supervised diet through my PCP. We chose the more aggressive plan for me (there are several plans to choose from) to see quick results. You can also check it out on the web. Being a diabetic and have tried all sorts of diet, and yet my weight kept going up and I gave up. My PCP recommended the HMR program to me, and it has been working for me. The key is to stay with the program and not give it. I get weighed in weekly, meet with the doctor and attend classes. I started Sept 20, 2010 and I am down 30 pounds; something I am very proud of.

I also have a great support system at home. My husband is also overweight and he will exercise with me and my best friend, K, has also been a great help too. both of us were laid off from our jobs, so we exercise during the week together with walking and we are up to walking 5 miles. We will walk 2.5 to 5 miles a day. Then I am also on my air walker as well and will do that 3-5 times a week in addition to walking.

I hope this information has helped.
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am glad to find this forum. I started hmr on 6/14/2011 and joined mfp shortly after. I only have 5 shakes and an entree. Sometimes I will have 6 shakes. On Friday evenings it is hard for me because I am alone,it is easier to eat things I should not and this is my old pattern
  • annglenn
    Options
    Once I get down to the weight I want then I will go into phase 2 or maintence which either one you want to call ii. That was the mistake that I made back in 2000 when I lost 70 pounds. Instead of learning to eat right I went back to eating the same old foods and stopped exercising.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I tried HMR last year. good shakes but got tired of it real fast. Switched to Medifast. had some success with that but again, the food was bland and not much variety. Product does work as advertised though. Lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks but it was tough for me to maintain and it would be hard to maintain without a lifestyle change which i wasnt committed to then. Trying again with fitness pal tracking and excercise. Proper diet and excercise is the only tried and true way to lose weight and keep it off. Its got to be a lifestyle change.
  • annglenn
    Options
    I know I hope I will be successful this time. I have done it before but just did not follow through to maintaince which is learning how to eat healthy. I am trying to figure out ways to get in exercise
  • annglenn
    Options
    How is everone doing? Are we going to continue this site?
  • nicolemariedwyer
    nicolemariedwyer Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just started the HMR Shake diet and am looking for some people to stay on track with and share recipes with! Friend me!!
  • Alyshahmr
    Options
    I am also on the program. I do the at Home Call at hackley health and purchase them on line at their site. I love the shakes. Chocolate is my favorite but I do mix it up a little with their flavors additives. We are working on the increased PA to head off the holiday pounds. How are you doing on the program?
  • PeanutsMamaTx
    PeanutsMamaTx Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am a "restart patient", having done the program in 2004-2005. I restarted October 19, 2011, and I have lost 41 lbs so far. I would love to be friends on here with others doing HMR.
  • chaundra_haynes
    Options
    I'm participating in this program via my insurance carrier and I'm about to crack! The shakes aren't good at all. I'm so sick of them already and I'm on day 3. I need some help. The variety isn't good either. I'm not lactose intolerant but these shakes are giving me gas and causing me to belch. Any suggestions?

2728660.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • fitkitty1
    Options
    I will be starting HMR tomorrow... Please feel free to add me as a friend! I KNOW I will need the support!
  • shaylalogan
    shaylalogan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I start tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous. Anyone who's been on it awhile can give me any advice? Feel free to friend me, btw
  • porscheparcher
    Options
    I suggest Shakeology plus a good workout! It's all about fitness AND nutrition AND support! Those 3 things together create optimal health and results! It's been LIFE changing for me! If you want to hear my story and change your life, ask me! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I suggest dumping the shakes altogether unless you're willing to use them the rest of you life. People get overweight because they DON'T know how to control their calorie intake with regular food. Once you master that, then weight loss isn't an issue. A shake doesn't teach you how to eat less. All it does is reduce your calorie intake with fillers, protein and some vitamins/minerals. Not the same as eating food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I Think Ninerbuff's advice above is spot on.

I was on the program for about 5-6 months in 2011.

Good news is that the program does work in respect that you do lose weight by sticking on their program. At the time, I lost 50+ pounds through excercise and following their prescribed shake and meal-replacement routine.

That said, there are a number of negative things about the program that puts it into the "do not recommend" file for me:

1) Ridiculously expensive.

2) The food choices get really monotonous and not sustainable for any prolonged amount of time.

3) Food choices and shakes are chock full of sweeteners, not really a great choice if trying to break the cycle of being dependent upon junk food and certainly not a great choice for a diabetic like myself. Their default mode is "You're hungry and need a snack between your shakes? - then why don't you eat one of our diet protein bars?" which are pretty much like having a Snickers. Also the attitude was that if you are getting tired of the taste of their HMR shakes then why don't you jazz things up by mixing a diet Coke or diet orange soda with the shake powder. Really? That's their answer, put a soda pop in your shake?? really???

4) Like Ninerbuff says, the program doesn't teach you and pattern you to change your lifestyle towards learning how to eat normal healthy food in proper proportions. What it does do is limit your daily calorie intake so that basically you are near starvation mode.

After 3 months on the hardcore program and 2+ months on maintainence I just could not stomach another one of their damn meals or shakes.

That's when the spiral backwards started. Even though I had lost 50+ lbs, I had not changed anything (except I did excercise more) with respect to my eating habits.

Within 1 year I had regained every one of those 50+ pounds - and then some.

In Fall of 2012 I vowed to get myself back into shape and to do it right as a lifestyle change this time and not look to one sort of an unsustainable diet or another (of which I have tried many and always failed).

This time in I am doing it sensibly by realizing that the key to turning things around is nothing more than math. Eat Better + Portion Control + Calorie Journaling + Move More + Time Passing = A lifestyle change that is sustainable for the long haul and leads to a more healthy self in both the physical and mental sense.

I am eating normal food, but have given up sweets and sodas, and excercising again. Most importantly, I am now logging the calorie content of everything I put into my body so that I am aware of how many calories I have consumed each day and can make conscious decisions about what foods I can, or cannot, afford to eat on each particular day.

From starting out at nearly 350 lbs, I am now down to 295 and am well on my way to my goal of getting my 6' 3" body back down to under 200 lbs for the first time in 25 years. This time I am 100% confident that I will do it, it might take me over a year, but those lbs are coming off daily/weekly as I have made the lifestyle change necessary to learn how to eat properly.

This is not a diet, I'm eating real food (steak, eggs, tacos, bbq, chicken, fish, fruits, vegetables, etc...) but I am now eating them in proper quantities in a conscious manner.

The funny thing is, this time it feels easy - whereas every other time before it has been a daily struggle.

Anyway, please don't let this discourage you on your journey to get control. Just wanted to relay my own experiance and why the HMR method only provided to be a temporary band-aid solution to what has and is a long term/life-long issue for me.

Go ahead and read some of the success stories in these forums of any number of people who have recounted their journies of lossing 100 lbs, 200 lbs and, in some cases 300-400 lbs or more, and have kept the pounds off long-term.

I searched those out and read through those accounts and have found so much inspiration in their stories that at times I was in tears.

Almost invariably, the people who have been the most successful are those who made the commitment to move their bodies more (slowly at first with baby steps), have kept close attention to logging their calories, and have not allowed thier long-term goals and successes be derailed or discouraged by the short-term road blocks and failures that we all invariably face.

It's those accounts that helped me realize that this is so very do-able, that it is not "brain-science" or "rocket-surgery" , but simply nothing more than Math, Consistancy and Time.

I can do this and am doing this. I have all confidence that you can do this to.

Wishing everyone the best in thier own journeys.

- DG