SO discouraged

Options
I am sick and tired of dieting. It seems that I have been on some type of diet my entire adult life. I am 27 and 236 lbs oh and I am 5'8''. I signed up for MFP but i am too discouraged to start. I think I have a food addiction. I cant stop eating :-(

Replies

• Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    There is a lot of people on here that don't follow a diet but just have food in moderation.

I know if I was on a diet I would fail because I love food too much. =)

Making small adjustment to your eating habits also help vs making a major change all at once. When I go grocery, I always try to make a new adjustment or find new ways to prepare meals that I love. Pretty soon you'll notice that you are making better eating habits.
  • bittersweet1989
    Options
    There is a lot of people on here that don't follow a diet but just have food in moderation.

I know if I was on a diet I would fail because I love food too much. =)

Making small adjustment to your eating habits also help vs making a major change all at once. When I go grocery, I always try to make a new adjustment or find new ways to prepare meals that I love.

Great advice! :)
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Ok, well, my first thought upon reading your post is that this should NOT be a diet, but a lifestyle CHANGE. I know that sounds corny, but the more you think about being on a diet, the worse it sounds and the HARDER it will be to WANT to lose weight. Nobody is happy on a diet. But a change? Whole different story! PLEASE don't be discouraged. PLEASE know that you OWE it to yourself to lose the weight and be a better, healthier YOU.

MFP is a GREAT site. You WILL find the help/motivation you need. This site is FULL of people who feel the same way as you do. OR who have felt the same way as you, at one point or another. Myself included. So please don't hesitate to ask questions or add friends that will support you and motivate you!!! GOOD LUCK!! :flowerforyou:
  • queenofdisney
    Options
    I am like that. I am 26 and I've been dieting my whole life too. I get discouraged too. But we can do it. Just try making tiny steps here and there and it all adds up :)
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Diet's are LAME.

I never have gone on a diet, ever. This for me is just a lifestyle change. Little things make a big difference. I used to drink soda 24/7, eat A LOT of food in large amounts of portions until I was stuffed, ready to blow up. I never ever drank water, ever. Ate crap all day, like chips and cookies. I didn't eat every 2-3 hours or have a real breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I have learned so much and that is what has got me to lose weight. Portion control and learning about nutrition facts.
  • mom23kids
    Options
    You don't need to think of it as dieting. It's a lifestyle change. Once you start MFP you'll be more aware of what you're eating and how many calories you're getting. It then just becomes a matter of making decisions. You can indulge every now and then, and if you do, don't beat yourself. Every day is a chance to start again. You will be successful with MFP and with the support of friends you make on this website. Don't get me wrong, it's tough to get started, but it's well worth it. I am 45 and wish I had done this when I was 27. Feel free to friend me.
  • MandeeSue
    Options
    Toya hunny I was feeling the same way you are just a couple of days ago. Think of MFP as a lifestyle change and not a diet. I started here and done so good and then it hit me and I went back to my "addiction" and that's food. But I've learned that when I eat till I can't breath....it makes me feel horrible. But when I eat good, I feel great. And after you log your food in for the day it will tell you if you ate like this every day you would weigh _____ in so many weeks. And that makes me want to do better when I see I could lose that much weight in 6 weeks just by watching what I eat. Just hang in here, we are all here for the same reason and you can get great support here. Just start slow, remember its a lifestyle change, not a race. Wishing you the best of luck, and hope to see more of you on here !! Feel free to add me, if you need a friend :)
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think a lifestyle change regarding eating habits and exercise is what you're after.....I hate to say that I'm on a diet, too....BUT, using the tools that this site has to offer will help you to realize how big/small a serving really is, and how many calories you can consume and/or need to work off.

I haven't lost much weight, but I've lost a pants size (!) and I feel great! I am paying attention to the nutritional info, too, because I'm not great at eating certain things that I need (such as water and protein). So, having that tool in the food tracker has taught me so much!

Good luck!
  • MammaEllis
    Options
    I can relate girl. What this site is all about is not dieting but rather eating how we should be eating for a healthy life... not just until the weight is off.

My advice to you until you get the ball rolling...
    Set your daily calories to lose just 1 pound per week giving your self as much wiggle room as possible. Promise your self to record every single thing you eat and drink for just one little 24 hour period and celebrate that accomplishment before worrying you fail before you begin.

You can do this! We are all here for you!

830631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • best1
    best1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I hear you. I am 42 and have been on and off of different diets since I was 12. I am 238lbs and 5'5.

I know what you mean about food addiction, it is a real diagnosable problem similar to bulimia, but without the purging. I have been diagnosed with an eating disorder and was bulimic for 5-6 years when I was in high school and college.

What I found out recently is that 'food addiction' for me is really just "CARB addiction'. When I severely limit carbs (eat only low glycemic carbs) and do long low-intensity exercise (like walking) the food addiction goes away. High-intensity cardio workouts will make you crave carbs.

Seriously, it is the strangest thing, but I actually forget to eat sometimes, even on days when my calorie intake has been very low. It is like someone who has been addicted to nicotine all their life and wakes up to find the addiction gone. MFP has really helped because it helps me keep track of the carbs day-to-day.

If you have never tried a low carb/ high protein diet, give it a try and cut out the cardio workouts and replace them with low intensity workout. It might work for you, it is working for me.
  • Jaiime
    Options
    Hi,

I found it really discouraging in the beginning. I was eating way too much. After a while and some helpful suggestions from my wonderful cousin I started consuming less calories. I felt hungry at first but then my body adjusted to the amount of cals it was actually suppose to get. Also, I started a great exercise routine... which allows me to eat a little more ;) If you find an activity or sport that you really like, it's much easier to stick to. Plus you'll enjoy going. You can still enjoy chocolate, cheese, ice cream... all of it, just smaller portions. I find that being able to see how I'm doing is also a great motivator.

I hope this helps :)

Take care.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place. I am more than twice your age, so I will save you about 30 more years of frustration and pass along some things I have learned since getting on this website about a year and 1/2 and about 75 lbs. ago.

When I started writing this post, no one else had posted, so some of what I say is redundant, but I don't want to start editing things into confusion, so here goes:

Make up your mind that this is a LIFESTYLE change--NOT another "DIET"--Diet is a 4-letter word for failure.

Start with small steps. You didn't gain your weight in a week, or a month. You are taller than I am. I am 5'4" and started out at 245 lbs. Now I am just over 170, and still losing, but more slowly than when I first started. I started out thinking I would lose 100 lbs. in a year, but when a year came and went, I didn't give up--I just kept at it.

In keeping with the small steps model, for the first 2 weeks---

Make sure you have a reliable, consistent scale, and get weighed at the start, so you have a starting point. Don't become scale-obsessed. Weigh first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom, but before consuming any food or drink.

Own the Day. Every day is a new opportunity to make good choices. If you slip and eat a cookie, that doesn't mean you have an excuse to jump in and eat the entire bag. If that is, in fact, what happens, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start over the next DAY, not next WEEK, or next MONTH.

Drink more WATER. H2O is your friend. Better hydration will pay off with improved digestion, and better looking skin.

Log ALL that you eat. It will help you see how to make better choices. I find it helpful to plan my food and log it before eating, whenever possible, so that I can make any adjustments.

Get Moving. I walked off my first 50 lbs. Since then, I have added other types of exercise. You don't have to be a gym rat. There are videos available, from the library if you are on a budget. If you have "on demand" as part of your cable service, the exercise videos there are changed up regularly. Eventually, you can purchase some light weights and combine your cardio with strength training to firm up.

Read the MFP message boards for encouragement, Post your questions, successes, failures...vents. It can change your life.

After two weeks, in addition to the above---

Analyze your diet. Figure out where you can make better choices. Start by reducing the amount processed foods you eat, as they usually are high in sodium, and often high in sugar/and or fat as well. If you are a fast food junkie, repent.

Think about your relationship with food. Are you an emotional eater? Do you eat when you are bored, stressed?

Fiber is your friend. It is found in veggies, fruits, and whole grain breads, pastas, rice, and many other natural products.

Get acquainted with your kitchen. Making it yourself enables you to control what goes in to your body, and that goes a long way toward achieving success.

A personal tip, if you are planning to use processed "diet" foods, think twice. In the past 18 months I have learned that artificial sweeteners create carb and sugar cravings in me. Ditto on alcohol, and consuming processed sugar--pastries, candy, cakes.

After 30 days, of doing the above, take a look at how you feel, how your clothes are fitting, how you look, and jump back on the scale and see what has happened. By this time, some of the steps will start to feel like habits, and now just carry on, refining your food and exercise.

Don't ever say you CAN'T eat something, but PLAN for it. This is the rest of your life. If you are going to an occasion where you will be eating treats, or larger amounts of food, plan for it with extra cardio exercise, maybe a light menu for the rest of the day.

Don't assume that eating less will mean losing more. There is a reason MFP says don't consistently go under 1200 calories per day.

Good luck!!!
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way as you.

To get me started, I didn't stop eating anything.

I just cut my portions.

I took less of each thing and before I knew it, I was losing some weight.

Seeing a difference on the scale and in my clothes inspired me to start making better food choices, and the weight loss picked up.

You can do this. I know you can.
  • AngelSharum
    AngelSharum Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You have received some great advice. I do hope you'll give the site and yourself another chance. Maybe make one small change this week and stick with it, then next week change something else. Baby steps will get you there and who knows, you might decide to make bigger changes soon. I wish you all the best.
  • pixelblossom
    pixelblossom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. Very good information. I would only add one thing. What I have learned is that my overeating comes from a need to satisfy my "heart hunger". Often times I find myself eating when I'm not hungry. I am learning how to 'feed my soul' so that I will feel satisfied and not so prone to overeating.

For this to work I must first catch myself before I head off to the refrigerator or cupboards. I must stop myself long enough to breath in and think about what I'm doing. Next I try to locate in my soul what really needs satisfying. Food only helps for a few minutes. You always need more, but it never can solve what's really bugging you deep down. When you think about the purpose of food you realize it's just to keep your body nourished. It's when we use it to solve our emotional needs that we get into trouble.

So, after I catch myself and have located the real source of the need, the next thing I usually do is pray. I have found that often times my real need is to feel peace in my heart and food can't make me peaceful. It only makes me temporarily full (and fat, lol). I think losing weight for me is a partnership between me and God. For me it's impossible to lose weight on my own without supernatural strength. I've lost about 20 lbs and have about 15 more to go.

I hope that helps you a little. I would add, don't give in to discouragement. There's a lot of help on this site and many people who are learning how to get healthy. They6 are happy to support you.

God bless you and God bless you all.
    :wink:
  • sumirei
    Options
    I am following what most ppl does here. To cut the portion I eat. Well, I am starting today. =)
  • dwilson2
    Options
    just start with baby steps. the first week, cut out the rich sweets and just limit to small things and eat more sweet fruit. the next week cut out the fried foods and see how that goes. change to skim milk....etc. I am 42 and I too feel like I have tried to diet on and off my whole adult life. my wake up call is that my brothers are both diabetic and I think I could be next! my doctor said my liver is "fatty" and that could be bad in the future and high cholesterol as well. this tool is really great for me, looking at the breakdowns of the nutrients.
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    Hey I feel ya, I feel likes I've yo yod my whole life until i lost it for a good five years spanned then put it all back on when I graduated high school in 02. I joke sometimes about my love affair with food. It really is about making changes for yourself. It may be eating less of things or picking either or. I noticed things that I felt I was wasting calories on, mindless eating or just doing it out of habit. Do this for you! We are all here to support. Add us friends on your profile and we can encourage eachother along the way. Unlike other things I've been a part of (weight watchers, Jillian michaels.com and anything else you can think of) with mfp you have a support net of people who are going through it with you. Some have already had great success some are right at the same place. Bur all of it will help motivate! You can do it! I hope you stay around.
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    wow! what great advice! No way you can lose if you follow it!
  • janamuma
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. You can make such small adjustments that will make a difference. Don't think of it as a diet. Just change your eating habbits. You have to decide to make the change but don't deprive yourself where you feel like you are on a "diet". Just changing the way you eat the majority of the time, then when we eat those great meals, it is not so bad. You learn to appreciate the good food more. It takes some time to get used to this, but I promise you can do it and you will feel so good when you do! Happy to just listen anytime....