BMR TDEE Question

Options
I have been at this for awhile, so I'm familiar with the math and basics of BMR/TDEE. What I'm trying to figure out is what activity level I should factor in.

I work at in finance, so I'm at my desk all day but occasionally sneak out for 30 minute walks at a little over 15 min/mile. I live in a city so I walk 2.5 miles to work and 2.5 miles home, everyday. I am also lifting in the gym 4-5 times per week. On the weekends, I'm pretty much useless, if I'm being honest. A lot of socializing but not a lot of fitness.

I'm asking because a lot of calculators have the activity levels with an option of "desk job", which I have. So, it's throwing me for a loop. And when I select "active" it has my BMR around 1500 and my TEDD around 2274. I'm scared eating between those levels will cause me to gain weight.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Eat 1,820 (TDEE minus 20%) for a few weeks, then reevaluate.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to add that with TDEE you must not eat back any exercise calories.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I would start with lightly active, which is working out 1-3 hours a week (which is sounds like you do). If that has you losing to fast or gaining, you can reevaluate and change it to active or sedentary. This is a good calculator to use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are moderately active at best. Have you tried Scoobys calculator at ScoobysWorkshop? I also have a desk job and like you try to walk on my lunch. I also exercise formally 3-6 times a week. I wear a Fitbit and it says I'm sedentary but it only tracks steps and it doesn't take into account weights, yoga or non step movements. I have MFP set at sedentary but it's all trial and error. I would aim at eating at the higher end of your estimated TDEE and then going lower if needed but I wouldn't net below 1500. With all the walking you do plus lifting you sound very active. Good luck.
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks so much!