Strength training on a Total Gym? (chuck norris machine)

Options
I have some questions about strength training on my new total gym. Here is some of my background so far:
I had lost 133lbs as of a few weeks ago doing mostly cardio 5 to 6 times a week and cutting back calories. I recently purchased a total gym and in the last 3 weeks have gained 7lbs. My calories have not changed and the only difference is the total gym. I have been using it 3 to 4 times a week for about a half an hour each time, working both upper and lower body. I do notice a difference in my arms, they look more tone and feel tighter, but not much else. I am worried about the 7lbs since I am actually still trying to lose weight. I currently weigh 175 and would like to get to 160 since I am 6ft tall. So my question is will I keep gaining weight by doing this strength training on my total gym or could it just be water wieght from the new exercise? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Strength training requires a progressive overload which tapers off pretty quickly with the Total Gym. The Total Gym is more of just a "resistance" training apparatus rather than a strength training apparatus.
    You're just holding water since anyone new to resistance training will retain it due to muscle repair and glycogen storage. It's temporary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are retaining water. Hence why your arms feel tighter. The body will release the water soon.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks I hope so, I am freaking out a bit about the weight gain :)