Making yourself work out

Options
I've had great success in the past from simply walking. It's great exercise, it's enjoyable and not too hard on your body. There is a nice park on the way home from picking up my daughter so my plan is to stop there and go for a 30 minute walk a few days a week.

My problem is time. I already get home later now that I have to pick her up after work (6:30pm) and then I have to get dinner ready when we get home. Cooking, eating, cleaning up usually takes till about 8pm and that's if she is not cranky and lets me get this done without needing to tend to her too much.

Then we get ready for bed, I have to shower, get stuff ready for work the next day, try to have a little relaxation time and then go to bed. Thirty minutes is nothing when you think about it, but I already hate how late we get home and I have so little time as it is, so pushing things back by another 30 minutes makes me not want to walk. How do you force yourself to make the time?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    A few things I do to create more time in my week is to meal plan in advance and spend some time on the weekend to batch cook the stuff that takes the longest (so things like my proteins, casseroles, etc.). That way I already know what we're eating throughout the week and barely have to spend any time cooking and the clean up is a snap because I cooked some of it in advance. This is seriously a LIFESAVER for time.

As far as just making myself work out - I honestly don't see it as an optional part of my day. I see it as just as essential as brushing my teeth or going to work. It's seriously non-negotiable. I remind myself that I have MORE energy, feel MORE clearheaded and MORE focused after a workout than I do if I don't get it in and it's also my built-in stress reliever. I'm far more cranky on days when I don't work out than on the days that I do.

At first it was just tough love. There's no real trick to it, you do it or you don't BUT when I switched my mindset to making my workouts non-negotiable I was able to stay consistent.

Does that help? Feel free to friend me! :)
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I do it first thing in the morning so I don't have time to find excuses. Now it's just the norm for me... I get up, work out, then start my day.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I find if you have to "make" yourself workout then its not going to motivate you at all. It becomes work, which means no fun.

You mentioned that you pass by a park and you plan to walk there with your daughter. Why not become a kid again and "play". Go down the slides with her (stairs are great for legs), do the monkey bars (great for arms), go on the swings (good for core), toss a ball, play frisbee, and even the walk as you suggested are all great forms of exercise. Play hopskotch with her, its great for the whole body all that bending and hopping. Hula hoops. You don't always need a workout that requires the use of a gym. Just moving and interacting just as your daughter does is all great forms of exercise. Be a kid again! Heck, guaranteed, if I went back to doing even HALF the activities I did as a kid, I don't think I could keep up with myself lol.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I am not hating on walking but if time is a factor it is not the best way to get in a workout.

You could do some calisthenics for less time. It burns about 3 times the amount of calories per minute that walking does.
  • loomatic
    loomatic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I switched to morning workouts. It was way too easy for me to find excuses in the evening: oh, I have to work a little late; oh, I'm cooking and it took longer than expected; oh, I have errands to run on the way home. Now I get everything ready in the evening, and I'm out the door 10 minutes after I get up. The bonus for me is that the gym I use (in my building at work) is always deserted in the mornings. I have one workout buddy, but everyone else who uses it goes after work.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am not hating on walking but if time is a factor it is not the best way to get in a workout.

You could do some calisthenics for less time. It burns about 3 times the amount of calories per minute that walking does.

this.

walking is nice if you have time to go for a walk.

You could do a HIIT workout in 12-15 minutes at home and get about 150% more work done in half the time.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I find if you have to "make" yourself workout then its not going to motivate you at all. It becomes work, which means no fun.

You mentioned that you pass by a park and you plan to walk there with your daughter. Why not become a kid again and "play". Go down the slides with her (stairs are great for legs), do the monkey bars (great for arms), go on the swings (good for core), toss a ball, play frisbee, and even the walk as you suggested are all great forms of exercise. Play hopskotch with her, its great for the whole body all that bending and hopping. Hula hoops. You don't always need a workout that requires the use of a gym. Just moving and interacting just as your daughter does is all great forms of exercise. Be a kid again! Heck, guaranteed, if I went back to doing even HALF the activities I did as a kid, I don't think I could keep up with myself lol.

This is a great idea, but it'll have to wait a bit, she's only three months old ;). But when I am cleaning with the music turned up I do like to grab her and dance around. Great work out and we have fun.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

This!
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the early morning workout. I am not a morning person and would love to stay in bed a little longer, relax over my morning coffee, etc., but if I don't get up and get it done before the rest of the world wakes up and starts making demands, then it won't get done. Honestly, as a working mom, I think that is the best strategy. Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Increase your N.E.A.T if time is an issue. Park further away everywhere you go. Use stairs when you can. Stand instead of sit. Pacing around if you can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition