How often to weigh self on scale?

Options
How often do you weigh in? I try to get on scale daily (first thing in the morning after I pee and before I eat or drink anything) - I probably remember to do it approximately 4 days a week. I find that helps me stay on track and gives me immediate feedback and motivation. Only issue is that I can't get too caught up in the minor bobbles up and down. Have to look more for the general trend of loss of maintenance. What works best for you? Daily? Weekly? something else?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm on that scale probably ten times a day. I record the first morning weight. It's never the lowest, but I stick with recording that one.

I think the smarter way is once a week or (at most) once a day.
  • BonworthVonFattyPants
    BonworthVonFattyPants Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When my scale was the Wii Fit in the living room ... probably weekly. A couple weeks ago I bought a bathroom scale and now I weigh myself a few times a day.

Now hold your warnings weighing too often or whatever...

(a) I don't care what it says. I'm just curious how I fluctuate over time. I record my weight every 4 days.
    (b) Weighing myself before/after runs helps me know how much water weight I lost which has opened my eyes to how much water I need to bring on long runs (especially now that is hot)
    (c) I'm childish. Weighing myself before/after ... bathroom activities ... is funny to me. I'm setting records.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    once a week.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I'm on that scale probably ten times a day. I record the first morning weight. It's never the lowest, but I stick with recording that one.

If your morning weight is not the lowest at what point in the day is it?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    When my scale was the Wii Fit in the living room ... probably weekly. A couple weeks ago I bought a bathroom scale and now I weigh myself a few times a day.

(a) I don't care what it says. I'm just curious how I fluctuate over time. I record my weight every 4 days.
    (b) Weighing myself before/after runs helps me know how much water weight I lost which has opened my eyes to how much water I need to bring on long runs (especially now that is hot)
    (c) I'm childish. Weighing myself before/after ... bathroom activities ... is funny to me. I'm setting records.

Good the water weight you lose should be immediately consumed right back.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

im glad im not the only one who does this

i weight my self every time i go into my bathroom, be it to shower, brush teeth, or use the toilet just out of curiosity. i only consider the weight i see first thing in the morning as valid
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Weekly (same day, same time) is what I do.

I personally don't see the value in weighing multiple times a week or per day.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing every morning (after peeing) and record that weight. I don't worry about changes up or down. I want to see the trend line on a downward trek. It keeps me honest every day. If I only weighed myself once a week, I would probably go off track. I need the daily enforcement.

If movement upward bother you, weighing daily is not for you. You will weigh more some days.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Ha, I do all of a, b, & c, too! It's fascinating to me, but I'm weird :laugh: .

To OP, I record daily ("official" weigh-in is first thing in the AM after bathroom) on the Libra app for my phone. It tracks a trend line, which averages daily fluctuations and gives a forecast of future weight loss.

For MFP, I enter my first day of the week weigh-in (for me, it's Monday AM, after a rest day, so as to remove any muscular water retention from "skewing" the number).

Or, if daily weigh-ins and seeing fluctuation is stressful to you (it is for many, many people--and that's okay, too). Just step on the scale once a week or less. That works for tons of people, too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

If your morning weight is not the lowest at what point in the day is it?
    Every day is different, but usually, about 1/3 of the way through the day.

Like another poster, I also like to see the Before and After poops. :)

I know the fluctuations don't matter, I just like seeing what is going on, :)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

I've never considered that before! Super smart- will try that one time...

and OP, I'm pretty much like you- weigh myself often through the week (also in the mornings) but I only record my weight on MFP from Wednesday weigh ins if there's a loss. I use a separate app to keep track otherwise.

Edit to add: The Libra app is AWESOME for Android, but if you're an iPhone user- not available :( I use WeightTrend+ and uLog... have been testing them but I'm leaning towards weighttrend.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I weigh in 3-5 days per week...it's really up to you and how many data point sets you want. Just make sure you understand daily weight fluctuations.
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    I typically only weigh myself once a week, though this week was the exception and I've weighed myself 3 times. This is because when I first signed up here (last friday) I simply guessed at my weight, so then I weighed myself a second time to get an accurate measure. Then, today I weighed myself again because I had been constipated before and I finally managed to have a poo this morning, so I wanted to see where I was after that. Also, I tend to skip weighing myself during the week of my period because I know it's not going to be accurate thanks to the water weight.

But yeah, exceptions aside, I don't see a point to recording one's weight more than once a week.
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I once ran a half marathon on a treadmill at a hotel gym against a friend. It was hot and I lost 2.8 pounds in sweat.
  • FollowYourArrow8
    FollowYourArrow8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose .04 - 0.5lbs a week so I like to weigh myself every other week. I keep the scale at my friends house that way I'm not sneaking onto it before.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    probably every other day to every three days. it keeps me accountable!
  • krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on a sunday morning at my boyfriend's house. I use his scales as they are digital and i weigh naked so i know it is as accurate as it can be. Although i swear they are not right sometimes lol.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I try and do just once a week, mainly because my weight can fluctuate quite a bit over that time so its counter productive to weigh myself every day. I go up and down all week because I am still big and hold onto a lot of water so waiting a week between weigh ins I always see a loss.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh once a week. Saturday mornings. That way I have time to take measurements too. I used to weigh daily, but I got really depressed if the number went up, even though I knew it was because of normal fluctuations...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I used to weight myself once a week, on Friday morning after morning bathroom rituals and before morning exercising/eating. I now do it everyday because I like to track the water weight fluctuations and track mean progress over the long term.