Help! Need less Sodium

Options
tamnel
tamnel Posts: 18 Member
Hi everyone!
I am finding that I am either over or right on the line of sodium intake. Can anyone give me some ideas for lunch & dinner that doesn't contain so much sodium. I would appreciate any help w/ this. To all good luck & thank you. All of you have been an inspiration to me & I keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Tam

Replies

• artnoren
    artnoren Posts: 54
    Options
    Have you tried Recipezaar.com? You can pick any meat fish or vegetable that you like and filter all the recipes to find the ones low in sodium. I eat better than I have ever eaten in my life using between 900 and 1200 mg of salt daily. I don't cook with it or put it on my food. I use a wide variety of fresh and dried spices to compensate.
  • tesparza
    tesparza Posts: 3
    Options
    I gave up salt about a year ago, it was hard . Also I try not to eat too many frozen meals or can food ,its loaded. I now have regular blood pressure, it use to be high. Good luck
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I gave up salt about a year ago, it was hard . Also I try not to eat too many frozen meals or can food ,its loaded. I now have regular blood pressure, it use to be high. Good luck

I completely agree. ANY processed food is loaded with sodium...stay away from them and eat mostly fresh, "clean" food. Don't add any salt to your plate. I know it's hard, believe me! I have been a lover of salt for a long time (thank goodness I have really low blood pressure-around 90s/50s) but believe it's contributed to water retention.

Your tastes will change and you'll surprise yourself how quickly you learn to eat foods without the added sodium!
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    The daily required sodium intake is 3,300 mg, apparenly americans consume an average of 4,000- 5,800 mg daily. (a teaspoon of salt contains about 2,400 mg of sodium.) good luck.

Various organizations, including the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine, have published recommendations for daily sodium intake. Most recommend between 1,500 and 2,400 milligrams (mg) a day for healthy adults. A lower sodium intake has a more beneficial effect on blood pressure.

If you are older than 50, are black or have a health condition such as high blood pressure, chronic kidney disease or diabetes, you may be more sensitive to the blood pressure raising effects of sodium. As a result, aim for a sodium intake at the low end of the range recommended for healthy adults. Talk to your doctor about the sodium limit that's best for you.

This is from the Mayo Clinic...3300 is high.