I LOVE MY HRM!

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
Been using my HRM for 4 days now and I love it!!!!!! It has been so enlightening to see what I'm really burning in calories.

Interestingly--MFP estimates low for my stationary bike but high when I enter in for riding my bike outside.

And, I found out that I've been pushing myself too hard when riding and probably going WAY over my maximum heart rate. Today, I tried really hard to stay within my optimum HR for aerobic burn and found out that I was no where near breathing as hard nor heart pumping as hard as I had been pushing myself before wearing my HRM. I'm probably blessed I didn't have a heart attack out riding one day :ohwell:

It's inspirational, too, as I can see right then how many calories I've burned, and encourage myself while riding.

Plus, and I'll admit it, I'm a techno geek with things like that and love keeping track of my stats!

Tomorrow, I'm wearing it all day to see what my true BMR is to compare that with MFP estimates.

It you don't have a HRM yet--BUY ONE NOW! :glasses:

Replies

• shorerider
    Options
    Been using my HRM for 4 days now and I love it!!!!!! It has been so enlightening to see what I'm really burning in calories.

Interestingly--MFP estimates low for my stationary bike but high when I enter in for riding my bike outside.

And, I found out that I've been pushing myself too hard when riding and probably going WAY over my maximum heart rate. Today, I tried really hard to stay within my optimum HR for aerobic burn and found out that I was no where near breathing as hard nor heart pumping as hard as I had been pushing myself before wearing my HRM. I'm probably blessed I didn't have a heart attack out riding one day :ohwell:

It's inspirational, too, as I can see right then how many calories I've burned, and encourage myself while riding.

Plus, and I'll admit it, I'm a techno geek with things like that and love keeping track of my stats!

Tomorrow, I'm wearing it all day to see what my true BMR is to compare that with MFP estimates.

It you don't have a HRM yet--BUY ONE NOW! :glasses:
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I hope to get one soon but I'm still going crazy comparing brands. What kind did you get?
  • shorerider
    Options
    Highgear Duo--got it off Amazon.com for $40--great value.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    So
    with your suggestion, i also got the highgear duo off of amazon. It came yesterday,and i am wearing it right now. I did have to immediately replace the battery bc it died almost straight out of the box. It took a little while to program it and figure out how it works,
    but ive been wearing it all day today!
    its awesome because i know how many calories ive been burning today doing yard work, an exercise that is hard to determine calorie-wise.
    Thanks so much for the suggestion. I plan on wearing this thing all day on monday to get a reading for sitting on my ball at the computer all day...

One thing i have noticed is that when i come inside and rest, it says my heart rate is 0! does yours do that? I would like to know what my resting HR is also, but it dosent seem to register it sometimes, only when i get it pumping pretty good..like i have to "jump start" it into reading my HR .. just wondering if it is just mind doing that or if i am doing something wrong...bc as i sit here, the little heart is blinking like its reading, but there is no number displayed. Anyway, if you have any ideas about that let me know.

SO far so great tho, while exercising this thing seems to be very accurate, and its nice to know an exact number for measuring purposes.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I had to replace my battery right out of the box, too! But at least they included one with it--guess they anticipated that happening.

To see your heart rate, you have to either go to the 'chronograph' mode or I think just a quick push of one of the buttons will bring it up, too. I have noticed that it won't register when I'm near my laptop, so apparently the wireless connection interferes with it but they warned that could happen.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    ive beeb keeping it on Kcal mode so i can see calories burned. its doing a great job of showing the heart rate while working, but as soon as i stop for a break it goes down to 0... even if the heart is blinking..so im not sure what thats all about, but as long as i stand up and move for a second, it seems to re-register. Sometimes i have to readjust it at my chest too, and it goes from 0 to 100 as if it had a bad contact. Not sure yet whats making it do that or if its just one of those things it does while calculating in Kcal mode...guess with time we will see. All that really matters is that i can see what im burning, but i was hoping that it would calculate my resting heartrate also, while sitting watching tv, but its at 0, so then it would look as if i was dead if i went by this monitor! Maybe ill read some online later to see if other people have encountered this problem with the chest strap.
    Thanks again for the reccomendation! love it!