Started eating clean, lost my appetite

sarah2954
sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
I opened my diary, feel free to have a look. A little background...I joined MFP in January 2012. I weighed 198. Got down to 124 by July 2012. Started running in April 2012. Running ebbed and flowed, I was also in grad/law school, planning a wedding, and have three kids. (I just graduated and am currently studying for the bar exam.)

Fast forward...maintained between 135-140. Started running daily again in January, until I was in a car accident in February and now have 3 herniated discs in my neck. I just started running again last week and am running daily for about 35 minutes. Feeling good :)

I want to get back down into the 120s or teens. Even at 124 two years ago, I felt bloated and had a little belly. Even though I've been sticking to my calories, I was eating total crap and mostly carbs. I decided to give up all grains for one month to see how that makes me feel. I may stick with it beyond that, but I'm telling myself 30 days for now :) I also gave up processed foods and added sugars. I do still eat hard cheeses which have saturated fats, but I'm just not giving them up. So there. :)

Anyway, I started eating clean Monday, and have felt AMAZING! However, today...I got up and ran this morning. I just ate my breakfast, 2 hardboiled eggs, and had to choke them down. I have seriously zero appetite. I'm not super worried, because it is only day 4, but I'm wondering if this is typical and my appetite will come back, or whether I need to adjust something in my diet.

FYI - I'm a creature of habit. I tend to eat the same things every day for months on end. Its just how I am, and I likely will not change that.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Edit: I'm 5'2" and 32 years old.

Replies

• You may just not have been hungry that morning, that happens. If it happens every day for a week, that is another matter.

I know I have some days where I am just not hungry at all and some days where I am.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    What are your Carb Levels, I find if I slip into "Fat Burn" or Keto I lose my appetite and need to remind myself to eat. Usually you slip into this after 3 days of Low/No Carbs. The strange this is if you don't eat, you feel empty but not usually hungry.
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    I think that happens a lot with people who eat clean. I've run into this myself. I used to snack a lot, and NEEDED a snicker bar to get through my afternoon, but now, after lunch I'm not hungry at all. My understanding is that clean foods keep you satiated much longer. Clean eaters usually go with the, eat when you are hungry. So if you aren't hungry after your run, don't force it. Just eat something when your body feels it.
  • sarah2954
    What are your Carb Levels, I find if I slip into "Fat Burn" or Keto I lose my appetite and need to remind myself to eat. Usually you slip into this after 3 days of Low/No Carbs. The strange this is if you don't eat, you feel empty but not usually hungry.

Prior to this I was over 200 with carbs, now I'm around 80.
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Your appetite will return, but how is your bar exam stress? Could that be playing a role?

Keep in mind that studying for the bar is very hard work and your brain might benefit from some carbs during the day.

Good luck!
  • sarah2954
    Your appetite will return, but how is your bar exam stress? Could that be playing a role?

Keep in mind that studying for the bar is very hard work and your brain might benefit from some carbs during the day.

Good luck!

My stress is through the freaking roof. I've been doing awesome... but then all three of my kids got sick with hand, foot, and mouth disease :( They're not super sick, just very contagious so they're all home! Luckily my three-year-old's blisters are gone today so she went to daycare, my older two are here but they're pretty self-sufficient :)

Where do you suggest getting carbs from? Are sweet potatoes a good source?
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    That's got to be hard with the kids around and sick, too!

Sweet potatoes seem like a great choice, and during the day, maybe even a banana or orange or fruit with easily-converted sugar (it looks like you are enjoying berries but I have no idea if they fall into that category).
  • sarah2954
    That's got to be hard with the kids around and sick, too!

Sweet potatoes seem like a great choice, and during the day, maybe even a banana or orange or fruit with easily-converted sugar (it looks like you are enjoying berries but I have no idea if they fall into that category).

Awesome, thank you. I found this recipe where you blend frozen bananas with a teaspoon of instant coffee and a bit of dark chocolate to make "ice cream." I think I'll get some coffee and chocolate and give it a try!