Doctor ORDERED me not to lose any more weight

Options

Replies

• sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My husband (he's 31, 6'4 and about 183) was told the same thing by his doctor.

We changed out eating habits about 2-3 years ago and he used to be about 210.
    He thought it was hilarious since he was actually happy with losing his gut finally.

He's a carpenter and a brick mason so he doesn't formally exercise or try to diet at all.
    He just works hard and eats tons of (now better) food.

So I say just do what you feel. It's your life.:drinker:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that to me when I was 10 pounds heavier than I am now. She was thrilled with my weight loss but said 'don't lose more'. My BMI then was okay, but defiitely not low. I said I wanted to get to my current weight (150) and that was where I was when I graduated from college and after both babies. She said 'fine'. I have.

I think they worry you'll become eating disordered. But you aren't underweight. Work at fitness and what happens will happen.

Good luck.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I think some (not all) doctors also don't want you to lose weight and get healthy because then you won't have to see them as often..
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I think some (not all) doctors also don't want you to lose weight and get healthy because then you won't have to see them as often..

Ah, I see you took Cynicism 101 as well, eh? :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    no medical reason at all

didn't really feel like asking him "why," perhaps I did not want to make him suggest I'm anorexic or something.
    Medical reason or not, if a doctor orders you to do something you should always ask why?

This ^^ I could see not asking if he said you didn't need to lose more because you were healthy, or even if he suggested you not lose more.

But if it was truly a doctor's order not to lose more, it seems crazy not to ask why. Even crazier to post on an open forum, presumably for opinions.

Nobody here is going to know why the doctor ordered this, and without that knowledge, no one is going to be able to offer any informed opinion on whether you should follow that order.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP--when you scheduled your appointment what was the purpose of the appointment with your doctor?
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I'm in the camp of people who think "gaining muscle weight" is just a copout.

Do you even body composition?

Yeah I am not even sure I know what that means... 'gaining muscle weight is just a copout' ??? Yet you believe in toning?

With body recomp, you could stay at the same weight and get rid of all the jiggles, looseness or whatever people call it.
  • marchellaz
    marchellaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Accomplish your goal..you got this far, might as well finish it!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My husband is 35, 6'3, and about 190lbs. He isn't too thin. In fact, he had his BF% measured back in February, it was just over 19%. He's been working on losing some of the fat. He's definitely lost a couple of lbs.

The dr saw a dramatic weight loss in a relatively short period of time...and the concern could be more about an eating disorder vs. being too thin.

Do some heavy lifting and maintain whatever habits helped you lose the weight. Unless weight loss is some how negatively effecting your health (and the dr can prove it with tests), I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    no medical reason at all

didn't really feel like asking him "why," perhaps I did not want to make him suggest I'm anoerexic or something.

It sounds like you might feel guilty asking him why. I may be assuming things here, but I believe as your Dr. he WORKS FOR YOU. He provides you a service utilizing his knowledge, skills and expertise and in return you pay him money.

If it were me, as a paying customer, I would want to know why in his professional opinion he thinks I should not lose any more weight.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    And if your doctor didn't tell you why, call and ask. If he won't tell you why, find a new doctor. Pulling orders out their *kitten* without an explanation for it is a fireable offense in my book.

+1

Exactly!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This is precisely why I never go to the doctor!! You need to gauge how you feel and if you feel like you should lose 10 more pounds, then go for it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I'm in the camp of people who think "gaining muscle weight" is just a copout.

Yeah I am not even sure I know what that means... 'gaining muscle weight is just a copout' ??? Yet you believe in toning?

With body recomp, you could stay at the same weight and get rid of all the jiggles, looseness or whatever people call it.

Most people call it toning.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    no medical reason at all

didn't really feel like asking him "why," perhaps I did not want to make him suggest I'm anoerexic or something.

:huh:
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Everyone on MFP is certified doctors...

If your doctor said something and you respect your doctor and typically listen to him then I'd suggest you do that. If you don't understand then ask your doctor. You're a grown up least I hope you are... If you don't understand why come here and ask a bunch of Internet People who are certified in posting cat gifs and the ever famous Would you F me threads?

Ask the guy that went to school and does this for a living. Maybe he has good reasons, maybe he's jealous of your bod and wants you to get fat to make him feel better, maybe he wants to shag and likes his men to have a lil cushion...These are all valid reasons as to why you shouldn't lose weight but how in the hell are we supposed to know what your doctor said. Just call the doctor up and say "I've been thinking about what we discussed about my weight loss and I would like to lose another 10 lbs and possibly tone up some more. Can you explain to me why you feel I shouldn't drop any weight?" There could potentially be some test you can run and see how your body truly is.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I'm assuming your doctor can't take your LEGOs away or make you go to bed early for a week if you lose another 10 pounds so I'd just ignore him.

182 at 6'1" is not unhealthy. Unless there are extenuating circumstances you aren't telling us, I can't see why he would demand you stop losing.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I agree with OP actually, if you are attempting caloric deficit and you explain away the fact that you haven't lost weight in many months as "muscle gain" that is a total copout. Either you aren't at caloric deficit in which case you can gain muscle but you shouldnt be expecting weightloss because you aren't at deficit OR you are at a caloric deficit in which case you will not build muscle.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options

I agree with OP actually, if you are attempting caloric deficit and you explain away the fact that you haven't lost weight in many months as "muscle gain" that is a total copout. Either you aren't at caloric deficit in which case you can gain muscle but you shouldnt be expecting weightloss because you aren't at deficit OR you are at a caloric deficit in which case you will not build muscle.

Ah - I didn't read it that way. for some reason I read it as him saying that it would be a cop out for him to gain muscle weight - i,e. not lose the last 10 pounds... doh....
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor "WHY?"! If you are not "fit", then maybe he believes there is cause for concern. But, if you are "fit", then wth?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why you would think he would think you are anorexic if you ask why you shouldn't lose more weight.

This comment suggests to me that there is more to this story.