UK Help wanted - scales

Options
LucyBzz
LucyBzz Posts: 47 Member
Looking for recommendation for a new bathroom scale
Mine is hard to read & inaccurate ( I can weigh 3 times in a row & get 3 very different readings!)

Any suggestions?

Replies

• SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I bought this electronic one from Argos a few weeks ago:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1017425.htm

I've found it very accurate, it has a 10 year guarantee and it looks nice and modern if appearance is a factor for you. :-)
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Weight Watchers branded ones that I got from Argos a few years ago, 20-ish quid I think. Digital, nice big display, choice of units (stone and pounds, pounds or Kg). They're reliable and consistent. However, after my visit to the nurse yesterday I think they may weigh a little heavy (I was a pound lighter, with my clothes on, at the surgery). I'm toying with the idea of getting a Fitbit Aria though, because, well, any excuse for a new gadget.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    John Lewis have a good range, I bought their own brand digital glass ones and they are consistent and very accurate (I calibrated them against ones in a sports lab).
  • LucyBzz
    LucyBzz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thanks - I'll check John Lewis & have another look at Argos too ...
    I've never had a digital scale, always analogue ones but I need to face facts that I can't read 1-2 lb weight loss on these so I think I need to go digital if I'm going to stay motivated here!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration - at first I used an old fashioned pair of scales with a dial, and it drove me nuts because I couldn't get them to be consistent and it was also hard to read the numbers when stood on them. Then I got round to getting batteries for my other half's digital scales thinking it would solve the issue. Guess what? Still confused as they still give different readings! It also seems to depend on where on the floor they are placed.

Incidentally, I went to the doctor's for a health MOT the other day and the scales in the surgery weren't digital, they had the dial - but I noticed they were placed on a thick wooden board to counteract any wobbly floorboards!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've got a WeightWatchers one which came from Argos about five years ago. It does stone, pounds and kilos (I set it to pounds and it weighs to the nearest tenth of a pound) and it works on carpet as it has special feet.
  • jakkidoodles
    jakkidoodles Posts: 103
    Options
    I have a set of Weight Watchers branded ones that I got from Argos a few years ago, 20-ish quid I think. Digital, nice big display, choice of units (stone and pounds, pounds or Kg). They're reliable and consistent. However, after my visit to the nurse yesterday I think they may weigh a little heavy (I was a pound lighter, with my clothes on, at the surgery). I'm toying with the idea of getting a Fitbit Aria though, because, well, any excuse for a new gadget.

^ What she said- I believe I have the same ones and I can move them about my kitchen, step on them 3 or 4 times in a row and I will weight the same. My mum has a set of scales that tell me I'm 5lbs heavier by the door, 2 lbs lighter by the window, so on and so forth. I learned with those that if you put them in a certain place and stand on them more leaning forwards a little I can be half a stone lighter than I thought lol
  • rosie291289
    rosie291289 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Mine are weight watcher from Argos too, had them for a few months, can't remember how much they cost, my mum said to get salter ones but the ones with good reviews were too expensive for my budget so I went with weight watchers and they weigh just as accurate as her salter ones! X
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had 2 sets of old fashioned scales that weighed approx 4lb different. So off I toddled to Argos and bought myself a new digital scale (£20-£30 ish) and found that I was actually lighter than both of those scales :laugh: . Very happy with my new scales and haven't looked back. I also weigh in kgs now, working with smaller numbers makes me feel happier. :tongue:
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have the Withings ones. They're rather excellent.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of cheap digital ones from Morrisons. They're excellent (and did I mention, cheap?)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I also have weight watchers ones from Argos - they do body fat % too and allow you to set up a profile for up to 5 people so you can enter age and sex. They're really good and I've found them to be accurate against my doctor's scales in the past.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I got some basic ones from tesco. They're consistent and do the job. Your weight varies daily anyway so in reality weight is just a guide so no point really spending ridiculous amounts on one imo
  • PinkPowerRanger71
    PinkPowerRanger71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually weigh once a week at Boots and get the printout because my scales are much like the others-lean more one way and you can get a different reading,place them elsewhere and you get a different reading...
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have these Salter MiBody ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-MiBody-Analyser-Digital-Bathroom/dp/B0013IUNQO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403263612&sr=8-4&keywords=salter+mibody

You plug in a supplied USB stick and it downloads all the data. You then import the data into the Salter software. Great for monitoring body fat, muscle mass, etc.

If you're looking for something simple then get these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-145-Mechanical-Bathroom-Scale/dp/B0001HYH5Q

My sister and my dad are both GPs and they say this is a popular one in GP surgeries.