Is it me or my scale?

Options
Hello and thank you for reading! Last week my scale said I weighed 336 now it says I weigh 368. In just one week it says I have gained 32 lbs!!!! I changed the batteries but it still says I gained 32lbs! I have kept to my caloric goals and eaten like I usually do. I did swim a couple days ago. I also thought maybe it's my hormones but 32lbs? I could understand 5lbs....but 32lbs!!!! In my head I am thinking no way in heck did I just gain 32lbs it's my scale but there is a horrible sinking feeling of what if? So is it me or should I get a new scale?

Replies

• tmorris54
    tmorris54 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe that it's time for a new scale; I had that happen to me and I finally just broke down and got a new one. They never seem to last very long.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh at same time?

I find first thing in morning,out of bed, have a pee, no clothes, is the best measure
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It is the scale - mine did the same thing to me a couple of weeks ago (except it said I lost 38 pounds overnight - which would be wonderful wouldn't it?). If changing the batteries didn't fix it then it is time for a new one.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    It's the scale. 100% it's the scale. Your new scale may say something entirely different. Try to be prepared for whatever it says. Who knows how long your old scale was out of whack for!
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If it's digital it may need to be recalibrated. Next time look for a model that does it automatically!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Your scale is broken. You will need to see about getting a new scale and/or fixing this one.

To test, weigh yourself 5 times in a row. You should get back the same number +/- 0.2 pounds roughly. If you do not, it may be time for a new scale.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Your scale's new weight for you is definitely too large of a difference to be accurate. I doubt seriously you put on that much in a week. Do you have access to a professional type scale at a doctor's office or fitness center? You could compare those results with your scale and go from there before spending any money.

My scale gives me different readings every time I get on it, especially if I don't take it into the hall and put it on a "for-sure" flat surface. It doesn't like the floor in the bathroom; must not be completely level.
  • sparkly_blonde
    sparkly_blonde Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize this about my scale, but it needs to be tapped and turned on first otherwise the weight is not accurate. Did you move your scale? Maybe this is it?
  • mfourada
    mfourada Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses! I do weigh at the same time every week. I think you are all right my scale has gone Kapoot. I will try to get a new one.