What is your favorite way to make cauliflower?

Options
hilarydurst
hilarydurst Posts: 91 Member
I have two kids who hate to eat vegetables. I'm looking for a good recipe to make it so maybe they'll at least try it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• candidcastaway
    candidcastaway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I made cauliflower "fried rice" the other day. You cut up a head of cauliflower and put it into your food processor or blender, and pulse it until you get a grainy consistency. Put that into a big pan, and heat it up with some mixed vegetables, low sodium soy sauce and an egg. I cooked up some teriyaki chicken (cut up chicken breast and some teriyaki marinade w/ pineapple juice) on the side to add to it, but I could have eaten the cauliflower mixture plain. It's a way to "hide" the vegetable from your kids, and it tastes good.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the way my mother makes it is my favorite. She steams it just until it is crisp tender then she puts it in a buttered casserole dish and sprinkles it with grated sharp cheddar cheese and then sprinkles homemade breadcrumbs, that have been tossed in melted butter, on top before baking for 20 minutes. It is deeeelish!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    throw whole bag frozen into pan. top with 2-4 slices american cheese. add tablespoon or teaspoon of butter. add cayenne salt and pepper. Place lid on the whole thing and cook on medium heat until cheese starts melting. Keep "steaming" this way until cooked through and smoothed and coated from stirring.

fave.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    make cauliflower I typically plant seeds in mid May... water them... watch them grow... THAT's just how I roll & Grow (cauliflower that is:drinker:
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    OR you can stick it in a blender and mix it with No fat plain Greek yogurt ...add a little salt and pepper... and tell them it's mashed potatoes
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Not really healthy, but cauliflower with a cheese sauce over it and then baked until golden in the oven. YUM.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Buffalo bites! I've made them and they are really, really good.

http://theleancleaneatingmachine.com/2014/02/02/cauliflower-buffalo-bites/
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I make roasted cauliflower soup. It's sooooo creamy and velvety. Tastes and smells completely different than regular steamed cauli.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/silky-cauliflower-soup-with-parmesan-crisps-recipe.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    roasted or in a stir fry.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I also have a recipe from my Romanian grandma that goes something like this:

Cut cauli into florets
    Dip each floret into seasoned whisked egg
    roll in breadcrumbs
    layer in sprayed roasting dish
    top with a little nutmeg, and shredded mozz
    Roast at 375 till golden
    serve with sour cream.

It's really really good.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I also have a recipe from my Romanian grandma that goes something like this:

Cut cauli into florets
    Dip each floret into seasoned whisked egg
    roll in breadcrumbs
    layer in sprayed roasting dish
    top with a little nutmeg, and shredded mozz
    Roast at 375 till golden
    serve with sour cream.

It's really really good.

Yum!!! This and that soup you posted sound awesome! I love Cauliflower.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just roasted with a bit of olive oil and spices, or mashed with some cream cheese. Seriously I could eat the whole head that way. So good.
  • Crzyangel
    Crzyangel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza crust!! I found it on pintrest, have yet to try it but it looks so good.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    I like it when its "mashed potato's"
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I love it as is. If I get a bag of frozen florets, I just put them in a bowl and microwave it for 2 minutes, then stir, then microwave for 2 more minutes. Perfectly steamed. I add some salt on top. And that's it.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! I think I'll try the cauliflower buffalo bites this way instead of with the cup of flour in the other recipe.
  • ellypoopypants
    Options
    smother it with garlic
  • BlueDaisy717
    BlueDaisy717 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza recipe I found on youtube low calorie and tastes amazing! I put low fat pizza sauce
    loads of other veggies and cheese on top. My nephew who is a fussy eater eats it with us too :) Or cauliflower
    cheese bake with some other veggies added in.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower steaks with chimichurri sauce.
  • annasensei
    annasensei Posts: 39
    Options
    Someone mentioned "mashed potatoes." What you do for that is chop up a whole head of cauliflower, boil pieces until tender, put into food processor while still warm, add 1/2 tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons light cream cheese, salt, pepper and let it go until it's silky. The cream cheese makes it a little thicker and there's minimal taste difference between "mashed cauliflower" and mashed potatoes. I have added a clove of garlic before and that gives them a little extra kick.