Could use some advice!

Options
Hello Everyone,
To put it as briefly as I can, I'm new to this whole healthy living/eating thing. This is the first time in my life that my weight is out of control. I used to be THAT skinny girl that could eat whatever she wanted and never get an ounce of fat. Well, I became really sick with a 3rd world disease and when I came home to the States to recover all the American food hit me like a ton of bricks, I gained 60 pounds in a very short amount of time. The doctors say I'm perfectly healthy now and can do anything like back to normal and am clear to do what it takes to lose the weight. WELL. NOTHING IS WORKING. Okay, maybe I'm being dramatic, I've only been at it for 2 weeks. I stick to and am obsessed with the whole 1200 calorie setting on here and I do a minimum of 30 min on the treadmill a day at 3.5 speed at a 4% incline. I also do bicep curls to help my newly flabby arms and 60 sit-ups. I dropped coffee completely out of my diet and I don't drink sugary drinks or sodas at all. Mainly water with a lot of lemon in it. I also try and not eat past 8pm and I rarely snack in-between meals… the occasional potato chip may happen when my husband is eating them in front of the television.

The scale has not budged. I drink 60oz of water a day. I also try and walk more instead of sitting around. Thoughts and ideas? Please? I'm getting fed up that all this sweat and healthy eating isn't doing anything.

Thanks, I totally appreciate any feedback.

Replies

• Annesoucy1957
    Options
    Hi, I have a similar experience with sickness where my weight dropped to 75 pounds many moons ago, was put back to a normal weight and then over the years became overweight, one as nothing to do with the other by the way.

You will lose it is just that 2 weeks is not a long time. keep monitoring your calories without getting obsessed with it, do your cardio, continue the toning exercises and you will do just fine.

Just remember that what you are doing is not a temporary change but one that you will have to keep for the years to come. That being said be strict but not to the point where it takes all of your energies, life as to happen also.

Best of luck.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    And as others will probably point out the key to all this is logging your food properly. As a rule, people who need to lose weight are pretty bad at eyeballing portion sizes until they get some experience with a scale and frequent use of measuring cups. Long before you think anything is wrong you'll want to really go through and make sure you are actually eating the calories you think you are eating.

Before I became meticulous about it I was estimating my intake at 1700 a day... I eventually weighed and measured it all to find it was closer to 2300. I'm actually a pretty smart guy so that was a little surprising.

Keep it up though, new exercise programs and high sodium counts make a lot of people retain water which can mask weight loss. I know when I eat certain meals I will show a gain for a few days regardless of calorie counts.

Best of luck!