Healthy Snacks?

Options
Hey, everyone! Does anyone have any healthy snack ideas or recipes? Something that isn't disgusting lol. I can only eat carrots, cucumbers, and apples so often lol. I'm starting to become repulsed by them, actually. ANYTHING that is flavorful would be fantastic!

Feel free to add me, of course. :)

Replies

• Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Home popped corn
    Salsa
    Flapjack made with Banana instead of syrup and sugar
    Small amounts of seeds or dried fruit

I used to subscribe to Graze which supplied me with plenty of variety at a cost that want too horrendous.
  • nicsos
    nicsos Posts: 4
    Options
    What is graze?
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    What is graze?

www.graze.com
    Snacks on line delivered to your door
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Anything that fits within your calorie allowance and that doesn't nudge out your micros, is healthy. Don't bore yourself with what are habitually considered "healthy" foods. Boredom has caused more than one person to give up on their goals.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    The cardboard the Graze boxes come in probably taste better than the snacks. They're expensive and totally not worth it.

OP, have you tried Nature Box? It seems like they have some good alternatives to chip-type things.

Otherwise, go with the normal snack foods and pre-portion so you don't over eat, and then fit that in with your daily goals. Good luck!
  • 24Donna
    24Donna Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I try to snack on fruit as much as possible BUT my problem is that I actually don't really like apples..
    Then I read somewhere online the super easy tip of dipping your apple slices in something.. You can use peanut butter, nutella, anything! Personally I use Belgium Biscrips (cinnamon cookies) Spread. I highlyyyy recommend this, I don't think lots of people outside Belgium know it but it's delicious.. It makes an apple a whole new much more satisfying snack =)
    I think I can generalise this 'dipping' tip to most of the healthy foods out there.. Find a nice dip you like for fruit or vegetables like carrots, cucumber, celery.. And it makes them way more fun to eat!

Other snacks I enjoy: cucumber slices as 'toast' (you can spread anything you like on them) and eggs (I usually only eat the whites). And when I'm already close to my calorie goal and still have cravings I drink lots and lots of tea - usually green tea, but a sweet rosehip if green tea just doesn't do it.
  • 24Donna
    Options
    Oh, and I almost forgot:
    Low-fat (preferably 0%) cottage cheese/quark/curd cheese. It's really low on calories and you could use artificial sweeteners and fruit or maybe even some chocolate sprinkles to make it really delicious!
    Bonus: it also is a GREAT source of protein. So that makes it a pretty rare food considering it's still so low in cals.
  • patricia7_28
    Options
    I haven't heard of Nature Box... Is it something I can buy at the store, or is it like the food version of of Ipsy Box?
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I like protein bars as snacks sometimes. The Zone or Special K ones are great for people who don't like the chalky texture and taste of other bars. like me hah.
    I also freeze bite sized pieces of fruit like mangoes, grapes, bananas, peaches, and strawberries. They're like little mini popsicles and with even a little fat-free whipped cream it's like a little dessert :)

Or you could try Stacy's Simply Naked Pita Chips. 10 of them are 130 cals and 2 tbsp of spinach and artichoke hummus is 70 cal. It fills you right up!
  • snorkizzle
    snorkizzle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i go for any sort of fruit or vegetable. carrots, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, mango, banana, etc. These all have lots of sugar but realistically are a bit better than binging later on.
  • patricia7_28
    Options
    Haha, I don't really like apples either. I just force myself to eat them.
    I will definitely check out Belgium Biscrisps. That sounds delicious!
    Do you think I could use hummus as a dip? I have been avoiding it because people keep telling me it is high in fats. :/
    I usually eat cottage cheese for breakfast because it is so low cal. :)
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I love salted edamame. I found frozen ones at the supermarket and just heat them up in the microwave. I'm a bit of a salt freak so I do salt them pretty well. They have a ton of protein and they taste delicious.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    Options
    Hummus is like an avocado. It may have a little more fat than you want, but it's HEALTHY fats! Hummus is a great dipping alternative and there's so many options out there!
  • patricia7_28
    Options
    Wow, I didn't even think of edamame! I've only had them once, but they were sooo good. I'll have to pick some up from the store later in the week.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My favorites are greek yogurt with honey and wasabi ranch flavored snap pea crisps. And apples. And chocolate. And strawberries. And veggies with Oikos yogurt dip. Mmmmmm... Just ate lunch, but I think I may have figured out my snack for later!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    All fruits and veggies
    Yogurt
    Nuts
    Peanut Butter
    Cheese
    Protein Bars (my two faves are Luna Lemon Zest and Nature Valley Protein peanut butter and dark chocolate
    Hard boiled eggs

Really ANYTHING....as long as it fits into your calories and macros for the day!
  • 24Donna
    Options
    I love hummus :) I find it's actually pretty low in cals for a dip - especially compared to peanut butter etcetera :P it's also really easy to make yourself if you want a lower calorie version, the store-bought ones do indeed often have a lot of added oil and stuff. Hummus is high in protein too and since I'm a vegetarian I eat it all the time :D
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    Options
    You can also try roasting chickpeas! I love them with some chili powder and crunchy. They're a perfect snack to replace those gross and greasy chips.
  • patricia7_28
    Options
    Wow! Thank you to everyone who responded. You all had some really great ideas and information! :)
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I dip my carrots and cukes in salsa or the wholly guac 100 calorie packs for a good mix on the normal veggie snacks! Or like others have said also just preportion your snacks ahead of time. I still like crunchy stuff so I portion them all out in baggies ahead of time. (chips, crackers, etc)