Moobs go away

Options
2»

Replies

• KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    Hurray I did it!... sorta

I wasn't able to squat the bar so I tried to do dumbbells the first one was 15 lbs but I couldn't manage 2 reps, so I went lower to 8 lbs, which I managed to 3 reps of five sets. Oh boy I was sweating bullets after the 2nd set, I took off my glasses so I could be in my zone and it worked, I wasn't too nervous and I finished squat's, bench, rows with dumbbells.

My form was terrible but I'm new to this, I'm proud of myself ^_^

Note: my legs were shaking after my workout, is this normal?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Nice work man! The leg shaking is normal. They were basically atrophied before. You're probably really sore today. You can actually just workout through the soreness. It'll be a lot less from now on. Stretch in mean time. Foam roll too if you have one.

See you in weight section.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to try and push past my nerves while going into the weights section of the gym avoiding the feeling that everyone is starring at me, I've read that stronglifts is a great routine and I will try that out very soon. But my moobs are making me more nervous than anything else especially in public and wearing a thick sweatshirt all the time. :{

No one cares bud come on over and lift away!!!

Remember no matter what you do or where you go there are always douche bags around, nothing you can do about it just ignore them.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hurray I did it!... sorta

I wasn't able to squat the bar so I tried to do dumbbells the first one was 15 lbs but I couldn't manage 2 reps, so I went lower to 8 lbs, which I managed to 3 reps of five sets. Oh boy I was sweating bullets after the 2nd set, I took off my glasses so I could be in my zone and it worked, I wasn't too nervous and I finished squat's, bench, rows with dumbbells.

My form was terrible but I'm new to this, I'm proud of myself ^_^

Note: my legs were shaking after my workout, is this normal?

Wow that's awesome! I'm currently squatting 70lbs at home (as I am pretty new myself). I respect your drive to keep trying in a gym. I don't think I could do it. Hence why I am planning on setting up a home gym. And yes, the leg shaking after your first couple times is normal, well, for me at least. It eventually goes away and you'll only have a good burning soreness.

Mad props dude! :drinker:
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Less people are looking at you than you think. I remember when I was 15 years old and walked into the gym for the first time. I was 6 feet and 140lbs. I felt the same way. Everyone is a beginner in the beginning.

Unless you are a bothersome person I guarantee no one is going to pay very close attention to what you are doing.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Walk up to one of those big intimidating guys in between sets and ask him for tips, tell him you're a newbie, he'll probably be one of the nicest, most accommodating people you have ever met. ... Seriously bro, just ask for a little advice, lifters are always up to discuss their program, or their max weight, rep ranges, diet, and supplements. It's just not that serious, we all started out the same way you did.

Rigger

This^^^

Even the scariest of us heavy lifters aren't about to judge the guy walking in for the first time with no clue. You know who we judge? The guys that do dumb $h1t with no want or respect for advice. I'd never judge a guy for doing 10 lb dumbbellls or just the bar but if you act all tough, throw a bunch of weight on there and do a 1/4 squat with your back all out of whack I'm going to shake my head. If I really see something unsafe I'll say something. About 1/3 times the guy that's really going to hurt himself just runs his mouth and I decide to shut mine. It's not MY back...

Ask me for tips in the gym and I'll give you pointers as long as MY day can tolerate and I'll catch up with you another time to see what your new questions are and how you're progressing. I've honestly never met a serious gym goer that ridicules gym goers. Just look for the guy who's not chit chatting, not sitting on a bench doing nothing - that's your non-intimdating advice giver.

FWIW - this all applies to women too - but given your insecurites I doubt you're going to go up to a seriously dedicated female squatter and ask her for some pointers. Maybe I'm wrong - so it applies either way.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    bump
  • swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not shirtless nobody will notice even the worst case of moobs.
    That's with a thin t shirt too, not the sweatshirt you're wearing.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym for years. My diet was trash all this time so my workouts did not do that much so I still have moobs. I jump rope at the gym and do not care about how much my moobs bounce around in my shirt.

For real dude no one more likely care about the way you look. People are there to improve themselves and anyone else who asks for assistance. I ask for spots all the time. What people do judge is if you walk into the gym and play round and not make any gains or loses whatever your goals are. Gymgoers can tell the slackers from people who get in there and work hard.

Don't fear the one place that can physically make you stronger. Maybe even mentally too.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    These are the things that helped me get more confident and step into the weight area:

Watch a lot of videos to learn proper form.
    Always have a plan, know what exercises you are going to do and in what order, that way you are not just standing there looking lost.
    Try using weights at home or a friend's house to get the hang of it, once you do it a few times you feel confident. You also have an idea about how heavy you can start with good form.
    Listen to music, it helps me focus on myself.

Also, understand that people don't look because it's you and you look a certain way. They look because they have a 1 minute rest between sets and they have to look at something.... but if you notice, no one will stare unless you stare at them to see if they are staring at you..... lol - it's true. I sometimes look at the floor when I'm resting but at some point I have to look up, a lot of times guys think I'm interested, because I looked. Once I don't look at them again they get it.....

Don't overthink it. People at the gym come and go and the ones that are always there won't even notice you because they have a purpose.

Good luck!