Piyo

Options

Replies

• hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love yoga - it is my favourite thing, but I also love bodybalance. I wonder why people hate it so much. I don't like the pilates element as much as the yoga, but I find the sun salutations, the balance (standing sequences), the hip openers, twists etc are all fantastic. I wonder if people who hate it are purists and only want yoga, or only pilates etc. I find it as a workout it hits the spot with everything. It wakes me up on a Monday morning (express Balance), and as my main yoga instructor is off having a baby, we have Bodybalance in its place on a Thursday, and it is no hardship to me at all! PiYo might not be my thing due to me not loving pilates so much but I might try it anyway if I get chance.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Anyone putting down movement is just hating and obviously loves to not expand their horizons.

Rubbish.

I train in tai chi, yoga, gymnastics as well as a variety of sports.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Anyone putting down movement is just hating and obviously loves to not expand their horizons.

Not true.

I have trained in Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan and also in Ashtanga Yoga and have studied both in depth and have chosen to continue with yoga.

What I dislike (not hate) is crossbreeding such disciplines which, in my opinion, waters down both to create a fusion for no other reason than an organisation to make money selling the latest fad built from a combination of proven classics.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Not true.

I have trained in Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan and also in Ashtanga Yoga and have studied both in depth and have chosen to continue with yoga.

What I dislike (not hate) is crossbreeding such disciplines which, in my opinion, waters down both to create a fusion for no other reason than an organisation to make money selling the latest fad built from a combination of proven classics.

Chalene Johnson actually created PiYo over a decade ago, never with the intention to market it as a Beachbody product until last year.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine a few days ago via my NYC friend's beachbody page. I'm an ashtanga yogini, t'ai chi chuan master instructor and martial artist, former professional ballerina, and

I get bored easily!

I love programs like this where I can turn off my brain and just do moves I love to do. Anyone putting down movement is just hating and obviously loves to not expand their horizons. But, those of us who love movement of all types... Let's get this party started!

:)

glad to be jumping in on the fun! Anyone on the piyo facebook page, or is that something just set up for beach body coaches' clients and friends?

Fun! I'm on the official Piyo workout Facebook page, is that the one you mean?
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Chalene Johnson actually created PiYo over a decade ago, never with the intention to market it as a Beachbody product until last year.

Slightly off-topic but her Wiki entry doesn't state much, even about PiYo. What I'm curious to know is, according to the Wiki entry she's not a Pilates instructor nor a Yoga instructor so how does she get insurance to create such a system and avoid getting her *kitten* sued off if someone injures themselves at home?
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I ordered the base kit! I did some classes at the gym and it's a great workout! Can't wait to see what she has in store for us. I love her and I love her programs (Turbo Fire, CLX) I'm just crazy excited about this one.
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Slightly off-topic but her Wiki entry doesn't state much, even about PiYo. What I'm curious to know is, according to the Wiki entry she's not a Pilates instructor nor a Yoga instructor so how does she get insurance to create such a system and avoid getting her *kitten* sued off if someone injures themselves at home?

There's a disclaimer at the beginning of all Beachbody videos stating that by using the DVD you are agreeing to be responsible for your own safety and to use caution and not push yourself so far as to get injured. Basically, it's the same legal principle that applies to anyone who signs up for a gym membership or to attend a fitness class. You're responsible for knowing your own limitations and not being stupid.

-Tex
  • texstorm
    Options
    Ordered yesterday, but really aggravated that they sent through two different order numbers and charged me twice, ugh! I did NOT hit resubmit/double-click, etc... I don't know if it is because I went through a coach link, or what. At any rate...

Excited to try the program, though, as I like the idea of no jumping and hopping around. I haven't done much of either Pilates or yoga, so hoping the change in routine will jump-start my muscles :)

You know, every company has order screw-ups. It's not because of the coach link, and it's entirely possible that your bank is the one who made the mistake (I work for a bank, trust me, we screw up a lot, especially on online credit card transactions).

-Tex
  • darrensurrey
    Options

There's a disclaimer at the beginning of all Beachbody videos stating that by using the DVD you are agreeing to be responsible for your own safety and to use caution and not push yourself so far as to get injured. Basically, it's the same legal principle that applies to anyone who signs up for a gym membership or to attend a fitness class. You're responsible for knowing your own limitations and not being stupid.

-Tex

Which begs the question - why do trainers need professional indemnity insurance? (Or is it just a UK thing?)
  • texstorm
    Options

Not true.

Not everyone loves Yoga. Not everyone loves Pilates. Chalene created this program because she knows that she personally needs mobility and flexibility work based in those disciplines but doesn't have the mental temperament to participate in the strict disciplines. She told a funny story at Summit this weekend about getting kicked out of a Yoga class for talking too much. If you know Chalene this won't surprise you at all.

She has also said that this is not a Pilates & Yoga fusion program, and that if she regrets anything about it, it's naming it PiYo. There's cardio and resistance training elements to this that you will never find in a Yoga or Pilates class. This is something else altogether.

-Tex
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Finishing P90X3 first and then this is next on my list! Love Chalene!! xo
  • texstorm
    Options

-Tex

Which begs the question - why do trainers need professional indemnity insurance? (Or is it just a UK thing?)

Why? Because stupid people don't listen and hurt themselves. Also because there are bad trainers out there who get people hurt. Same reason you have to have liability insurance on your car, or to practice architecture or to run a landscaping business. All professions have to carry liability insurance.

However, if you buy a workout DVD, put it into your player and follow along in your living room you are making a choice that you own. Legal precedent in the US limits the liability of the company that makes the video so long as they clearly spell out that there are risks involved.

That said, I did a PiYo workout at Summit in Vegas last week and you'd have to be pretty amazingly stupid to hurt yourself doing this program. As in - you'd need to work at it.

-Tex
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Why? Because stupid people don't listen and hurt themselves. Also because there are bad trainers out there who get people hurt. Same reason you have to have liability insurance on your car, or to practice architecture or to run a landscaping business. All professions have to carry liability insurance.

However, if you buy a workout DVD, put it into your player and follow along in your living room you are making a choice that you own. Legal precedent in the US limits the liability of the company that makes the video so long as they clearly spell out that there are risks involved.

That said, I did a PiYo workout at Summit in Vegas last week and you'd have to be pretty amazingly stupid to hurt yourself doing this program. As in - you'd need to work at it.

-Tex

Right, I get you.

I guess they're covered if they write the disclaimer or the industry would have died years ago from one lawsuit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    I've decided to make a fitness video inspired by Mitchell on Modern Family.

TROGA- treadmill yoga

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Why invent a fusion of two or more things when those things are available in their purity, taught by experienced teachers and charged at much lower prices? PiYo has to be a watered down version of pure forms and people are expected to pay high prices for something that already exists.

edit: using the same analogy, I would rather have a glass of freshly squeezed OJ than a juice INSPIRED by OJ. I know what's in it, it's been around longer and I enjoy it more and - in this case - its cheaper.

Have you ever tried PiYo or are you just bashing it because you feel threatened and/or you love your own yoga so much? It sounds as if you're speculating and haven't actually done it to know if what you're saying is true or not.
  • ashleighjoy2007
    Options
    Finishing P90X3 first and then this is next on my list! Love Chalene!! xo

I'm starting on Monday, Chalene is my favorite! Good luck on the rest of X3!
  • ashleighjoy2007
    Options
    I ordered the base kit! I did some classes at the gym and it's a great workout! Can't wait to see what she has in store for us. I love her and I love her programs (Turbo Fire, CLX) I'm just crazy excited about this one.

I did too and got it yesterday! I hate to admit I wasn't a huge fan of TurboFire, but I love Turbo Jam. She's definitely my favorite and I'm excited to get started too!
  • pinklotus1973
    pinklotus1973 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have received the base kit.. and previewed all of first disk.. seems heavy in the yoga dept with a little movement added...I did the intro video yesterday and my abs are super sore. Im pretty sure this is going to be a good workout.. just from my own personal experience.. IM about to venture into Define Lower body when i finish this post.

I think everyone has their own preferences and I see nothing to gain by someone complaining that it's not enough this or that or a copy of this or that.. if you dont like it - find then.. dont do it. It's that simple. I personally LOVED the idea of getting strength training without all the weights and bands.. I love yoga and pilates.. it was a perfect marriage for me.. which is why I bought it. Chalene is just loveable if you ask me, and not annoying like a lot of the instructors can be.
  • pinklotus1973
    pinklotus1973 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    also in the US you dont have to be licensed or certified to be a yoga instructor.. it's not required by law.