MACRO HELP

Options
MeIShouldB
MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
Hey guys. I need some opinions on my macros.

Stats:
SW:224
Goal Weight:150
Current Weight: 155.4

Right now my distribution is
Carbs- 40%
Protein- 40 %
Fat- 20%

My goals are set at: 212 g Carbs
212g protein
47g Fat

I'm taking a class that talks about fitness and nutrition and it's making me feel like I need to change my macros. So I just checked on scooby'sworkshop.com which is what I always use to set my calorie goal. According to them, I should be on 30% protein, 50 % carbs, and 20 fat. According to my textbook I should be at 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body fat. which puts me at 105 grams of protein.

Replies

• supnicole
    supnicole Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There is no "correct" macronutrient distribution. Some people do awesome with 40%, 40% 20%. Others do better with 35%, 35% 30%. I eat low carb, so I try to eat 60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs and have had great success. It really depends on what your goals are. Do you feel better eating more protein, more fat, and less carbs? Or do you feel better eating more carbs and less protein/fat?

There are lots of different studies that discuss protein requirements. Some say 1g per pound of lean body mass, others recommend 1g per pound of body weight. Either way, I think 212g of protein is pretty high (and unnecessary). I'm 23/F 5'7 158 pounds and strength train 5x per week and I try to aim for 110-120g of protein per day which has worked well for me.

Hope this helps.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bumping this as the whole issue of macros really confuses me. Do they matter if you are in a calorie deficit anyway?
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    It just depends on how you feel on certain macros. I make sure to keep my protein over 100g daily, and my fats over 60g, the rest goes to carbs.

I don't feel the need to get more than .8-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. If I go over, cool. But if I at least hit 100g I'm happy. Fats I neeeever go under 60g because I love fat. Lol. I'd rather have more fats then have extra carbs. I like fattier cuts of meat, I like olive oil with my bread, I like full fat cheese, I like coconut oil in my coffee.

Fats are my liiiiife.