healthy baked bean recipe

charmed2570
charmed2570 Posts: 48
edited September 22 in Recipes
Ok friends I need some help, how can I make my bb as healthy as possible, but also taste amazing, and low in calories? I want to serve them for thanksgiving for a large group and my family knows that I m ake a killer bb so this yr. I have to show them that it can rock and have flavor without the major fat, sugar etc. So can u help me out? Thanks ahead of time.

Replies

• This will sound weird, but it's really good! My sister-in-law adds crushed or chunked pinapple to her baked beans, and that way doesn't have to add as much sugar... and they really taste great!
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    So as to not change your overall recipe too much, maybe you can provide your original recipe & we can suggest changes to lighten it up?
  • cbonuz
    cbonuz Posts: 63
    I agree with Pani...let us look at it and see where we can help you make shortcuts. Keep up the good work!
  • 2 lrg. cans of pork n beans
    1 c. brwn sugar
    1/2 diced onion
    1 lb. cooked then crumbled regular bacon, with the bacon grease.
    1 tblsp. mustard,,
    ketchup
    Bake in oven until its yummy.
    I know it doesn't seem to hard of a recipe, but its off the chain, but also no that healthy.
  • If you start with dried beans you will save a lot of sugar and salt, and then you can add flavorings back in to taste. I cook my beans in just water overnight in my crock pot, drain them, and then add all of the extra ingredients and cook everything together (a lot like your recipe). I also add diced red and green bell pepper to up the veggie count and lower the calories.

I am doing a lot of recipe overhauling and keep asking myself two questions: How do I make it sweet? and How do I make it salty? but in a healthier way.

The brown sugar makes your beans sweet, but so do the onions if they are sauteed before you add them, for fewer calories and sugar, and the ketchup could be swapped out with tomato sauce to save sugar. The bacon makes your beans salty and smoky, but so would a little less bacon and a spoonful of salt and some Liquid Smoke. I also add apple cider vinegar for a tangy taste. Good luck, they sound great!
  • Thanks I will give it a try this weekend, b4 thanksgiving rolls around.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    I’ve never heard of baked beans before and I have left over black beans from last night’s dinner so I did a little googling at other recipes from caloriecount.com and then decided to further reduce it to be less than 150cals a serving and this is how I’m going to attempt my recipe;

Baked Black Beans

1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 strips turkey bacon
    ¼ cup chopped onion
    ½ tsp mustard
    ½ medium green pepper
    2 tbsp ketchup
    ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 packets splenda
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Cook bacon separately, combine remaining ingredients with chopped up bacon and pour in baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

WW Points: 2 (serves 2)

Willing to take suggestions on the ketchup/mustard ratio in case I got it off. Please NO ANTI-ARTIFICAL SWEETNER comments, use sugar or agave or whatever if you want, let the skinny people be happy and die of aspartame poisoning k? LOL! jokes ;)
  • I’ve never heard of baked beans

Seriously?! Go out and find some! They will rock your world!
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Kidney Beans (red/light and baked)
    Jar of Salsa (extra chunky) - (no need to dice onions/green peppers and the like)
    Ground Turkey (browned)
    Cocktail shrimp - add raw
    Splenda
    A little honey
    BBQ Sauce (lowest in calorie you can find)

Mix together and bake for about 30 minutes:

Don't sleep on the shrimp. It does NOT make the beans fishy, bulks it up and adds protein.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    I’ve never heard of baked beans

I've seen the mixed can of beans before but never thought of serving beans as a side dish. Sounds like a southern American type of thing, I keep picturing Louisiana or something.
  • I’ve never heard of baked beans

I've seen the mixed can of beans before but never thought of serving beans as a side dish. Sounds like a southern American type of thing, I keep picturing Louisiana or something.

lol Boston is actually the place most well known for baked beans.. and that's in the north :)
This discussion has been closed.