Over 200 pounds to loose?

Options
2»

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Thank you so much for taking the time to click on this!

I need some help.. I was wondering how long it'll take to lose the first 100 pounds? I am currently 400, and need to get this under control NOW!

Any tips are appreciated :D

Mackenzie

So I had about 150lbs to lose, and I've lost almost half of it so far so here's what I know from experience

- Make changes slowly and here's why: if you shock your body into weight loss with rapid, drastic changes then your body will adapt to those changes quickly (because the human body is awesome!) and therefore you're going to have to continue to find ways to shock your body. But if you do changes slow and steady, you're always going to keep your body guessing - and this is how the most change will be seen.

- Don't be afraid of weights (if you're going to the gym) . . . all overweight people have a significant amount of muscle on them - they have to, they've been carrying around all that extra weight and fat doesn't support that right? Therefore, you're probably stronger than you think you are and building some muscle can significantly help your results. If you mix cardio (which is all I could do at first) with weight training and a regular eating routine you'll rock this for sure!

- Explore your options - there are so, so many different eating plans and types and so on. Find what works for you - you know what clearly didn't work, so don't be afraid to try different things to figure out what makes you feel good and what works for your body type and lifestyle. For example, lots of people praise Paleo but it isn't for me, lots of people praise shakes/smoothies and those aren't for me either - just not my thing, not saying they're bad - so find what works for you.

- Enjoy the process, but don't let it get to you. A little bit of success can be danger - you lose your first 20 or even 50 and people are complimenting you left, right and centre and you're feeling great so you may slack a little and then a little slack turns into 10lbs gained back (this happened to me) so just keep yourself motivated, no matter what that means for you! Everyone gets motivation from different places . . . find what makes you go!!!

Good luck! It's the toughest journey you'll ever do, but also the most rewarding too. Feel free to add me if you'd like . . . I am always open to new friends and new sources of experiences.

You've got this girl!

Amanda
  • socalnikki22
    socalnikki22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of your weight is definately hard and depends in the person. Ever heard of Edwin Velez? Lost 140 pounds in 4 months. I like many others want to see the results but hate putting in the effort because my schedule is different day to day, month to month. However it really depends on how much effort you are willing to put into you. AND TIME! The more time I have to invest inme, the more successful I am. So ultimately its a you thing, but there are definately people willing to support you!!!
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It took me 7 months to lose 100 but everyone is different....one thing I have learned in this journey is not to compare myself with others or to put time limits on my weight loss....goals are great but don't time them...as long as your doing your best and working your hardest the weight will come off....if you have any questions I am more then happy to help,you.....pm me anytime! Good luck! You can do this!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The more you lose, the harder it gets.

I don't know how long it will take, but it's going to be a looooong time. Sometimes you'll work hard and see no results.

Stick with it!

You can do this! :)
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I lost my final 60lbs in about 6 months
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!! This is a great place for support. In regards to your question of how long it will take to lose 100 pounds, that depends on many variables. Some people lose easily while others like myself take a while. I lose the first 30 pounds in about 5 months. However, it's taken me a combine 2 years to lose 67 pounds. Well, I am also 45 years old, so age may have something to do with it. I also don't mind taking my time to lose the weight. This way, I can minimize lose skin and eating at a slight deficit works better for me. Good luck on your journey! You can do it. Just take your time. It's a lifestyle, not a race!! :flowerforyou:
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Started at 432lbs and 10 months, 5 days in this WOE i am down 172lbs with 60lbs to go before reaching my "goal"
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It took me about 9 months to lose about 100 pounds and one year and 4 months to lose the last 65. I still have about 75 pounds to go. When you first start out it seems daunting but be assured losing a lot of weight can be done. I would really encourage you to first find out what caused your morbid obesity in the first place. From my own experience it was incredible woundedness coming from an hard life and unplanned disability. Once I became settled and my binging, overeating and emotional eating problem was fixed the weight loss became ten times easier. I wasn't fighting a losing battle. Next set your self up for success by not having the bad foods in your house whereas you won't be tempting yourself. I eat pretty clean cook mostly from scratch and eat portioned out food 5x a day. I used the biggest loser books as my base and built on a lifestyle that worked for me.

When you exercise start of slow and work yourself in a routine. Over two years ago I started out 5 minutes at a time 2x a week. Over two years later I work out about 50 minutes 4x a week. Don't overdo it and listen to your body. Too much exercise can cause injury. Consistency is so important. You won't make progress unless you are. Don't beat yourself up when you have a bad day because you are overhauling your life. You will have bad days. Just do better the next day. You're taking the first step by reaching out. That's great! Build a network of support and never give up no matter how hard it gets. Always believe you can and you will and know there are people before you who have. Good luck and feel free to add me for support!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Losing 2 pounds a week is 104 pounds a year, so at 200 pounds to lose you're probably looking at 2 -1/2, to 3 years. You'll take off weight quickly at first probably losing more than 2 pounds per week, and as the more you lose it will slow down.

Don't get discouraged and remember you didn't gain all that weight quickly and you won't get to goal weight quickly either. Just stick to MFP stay within your calorie goal and you'll get there. You're going to get hungry, that's to be expected. But eventually when your brain and stomach gets used to the new lower calorie consumption the hunger pangs subside.

Try adding in some walking for exercise, a little farther each time you go. Then when you feel comfortable increase your speed and distance.

Good luck, you can do this, just stick to it, make a permanent lifestyle change and you'll get there.