Fondly remember foods you don't like anymore

Options
ebbingfat
ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
Does anybody else have a problem with eating foods that don't actually taste good to you anymore, because you remember how good they used to taste? All week I've been craving pizza from my favorite pizza place. Today I was out with some friends and blew well over my calorie limit for the day, plus had a fair amount of alcohol, so I decided to say "f*** it" and get pizza from my favorite pizza place that I had been resisting for most of the week.

Well, I just ate two pieces of pizza from there, and despite the fact that I'm still really drunk right now, it was WAY too greasy for me. Just a month ago I could've eaten this pizza like it was nothing.

And despite the fact that I didn't enjoy it too much this time, because my tastes are changing due to my healthier diet, I know I will again order it in the future and probably have the same experience. I'm so bad with eating foods for nostalgic reasons. For example, there's a restaurant I loved when I was a kid - Old Country Buffet. Now, I can't stand their food. Despite that, I end up really wanting their food a couple times a year, even though I know that I won't like it. I somehow talk myself into thinking that I really want it and that it probably was just bad the last time I had it. How the heck do you take off the rose tinted glasses and just realize you don't like that certain food anymore?

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Pizza is one of my staples. Though not the horrible greasy type affairs and I wouldn't ever touch a Dominoes Pizza again in my life after seeing a programme about the amount of oil in it - just the base! This is before we even get onto all the shizzle they put in the rest of thing.

I can pretty much eat most things again that I orginally abstained from when starting MFP. I remember when I started (about 3.5 years ago now) I cut out a lot of fat from my diet just because of the sheer amount of calories it used. Long term it left me feeling pretty rubbish so fat is back. My diary today has a tablespoon of olive oil in it already to through over some .....hang on, rewind, I remember I just changed my pasta topping to a creamy one. Anyway, you get the point. With fats I do try and make it healthy - like olive oil, avocados, nuts etc. I'm far more aware of my macros now than when I started MFP.

Anyway, I digress. The one thing that really makes me reel back in horror when eating out is vast amounts of cheese. I've had this with a toasted panini I bought on the road - there must have been about 150g of cheese in it and also a pizza on holiday. I had to pick most of the cheese off. I just cou;dn't enjoy it knowing how awful that amount would be for me! So that's probably about it. I'll eat everything else in moderation. Of course there are things that I eat a hell of a lot less of nowadays, but as they say; Knowledge is power, and I'd much rather eat cake one day in a month and feel great in my jeans the whole the month!

P.S. Kudos for posting drunk.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's potatoe chips for me. I used to love it so much, but now I CAN'T stand it! I haven't eaten it for over year and half and not because I can't fit it in my calories, but because I simply don't like it anymore.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Chinese Food :cry:

It's been so long since I actually enjoyed it, and it makes me feel ill every time. Every. Time. BUT, like you, I will order it again, because I **used** to love it so much! :sad:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    This has not happened to me at all. I still luh all the things that made me fat - just eat much less of it.
  • EmmaEVille13
    EmmaEVille13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    anything with cream in - I used to devour it but now I feel like the inside of my mouth is just coated with grease after I had some.

chips / fries - same again... my mouth feels like it is coated in grease

just yucky :sick:
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Diet soda...but I do not remember if fondly. I used to be totally addicted to diet cola and I used it as fuel for basically being anorexic. I guzzled the stuff like there was no tomorrow. My health deteriorated because of it and I've had to do years of clean up on myself to get over the migraines, digestive problems, etc. I have not had any in years but I remember the last time I had it I had gone a while without it and it just tasted like poison. I don't miss it at all, F artificial anything food, eat real food!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Not really - I didn't change what I eat, just how often and how much I eat. I don't believe in good food/bad food, and I didn't give anything up when I changed my lifestyle. Of course, my diet is focused on eating lots of fruits, vegetables, homemade meals, etc - but I always have 'treats' in my daily food diary.
  • karinmelanie
    Options
    I used to love instant noodles. The really nasty ones full of MSG and other chemicals.
    Thankfully. I stopped eating anything that comes from factories. I had really bad cravings for a few weeks but now I couldn't possible bring myself to eat anything that has MSG in it.

Also crisps! i used to love crisps.
  • Nenya_Elvenring
    Nenya_Elvenring Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Whole milk and cream: just too greasy feeling and rich tasting. I started drinking my coffee & tea black a few years ago, and anything but skim in an iced coffee makes me nauseous. I almost never eat ice cream anymore (except Phish Food, or a homemade pumpkin chocolate chip from a joint we go that has it in the fall!). And anything from Hostess.

Another big change is Girl Scout Cookies. I took a bite out of a Caramel Delite about three years ago and had to spit it out! I haven't touched a single Girl Scout Cookie since. The greasy feeling combined with a vague petroleum flavor have turned me off them forever.

I am just as happy to decide I "hate" something I sholdn't be eating anyhow :) It makes the "cheating" so much more satisfying when I cheat with something I still love...
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Yep, had that with pizza a while back, was sorely disappointed...
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    This has not happened to me at all. I still luh all the things that made me fat - just eat much less of it.

This.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I ran into that with those orange jelly candies that are shaped like orange segments and covered in white sugar. I used to eat those like crazy. Now, I can't eat one. All I taste now are the chemicals. In fact, my daughter complains that all of my snacks taste lousy to her because I tend to go all natural(freeze dried fruits and natural fruit twists, for example). Go figure.
  • OneStepLighter
    OneStepLighter Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the taste of Lays BBQ Chips. I used to be able to eat the big bags of them without fail. :D I recently had two smaller bags about two days ago. The moment I started eating them, there was just a taste to them that made me ill on my stomach! Even thinking about them make me nauseous. I just stick with the Lays Mesquite BBQ chips, so much tastier & crunchier! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I feel that way about many foods I used to love when I was young. I've stopped even trying them again because they never taste the same as I remember and it just ruins the memories.

I still love pizza though, but then, I never did like greasy pizza and have never uderstood how pepperoni became such a pizza staple. I've picking that off my pizza since I was a child.
  • mrsslls
    mrsslls Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I splurged my remaining calories (and then some) tonight on store bought apple pie. It was waaaaay too sweet and I didnt really enjoy it.......such a shame, use to be one of my fav's.
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oreos: my daughter had the mega double stuffed ones. WAY too sweet.

And Coca-Cola. Coke used to be the only thing I would drink...all day and every day. I used to love it so much. Now it's just blah. I've never been sure if that makes me happy or sad. Makes me happy because I'm not struggling with going and buying a Coke all the time anymore, but sad because I used to love it so much...it used to be so good.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    For me it's mostly things like chocolate bars (especially Snickers which was my favorite for many years), and most donuts, snack cakes, cookies, etc. Frosting in general, unless it's homemade by mom or husband, or unusually delicious frosting from a bakery.

Probably the BIGGEST let down for me was when I "saved up" calories, fat & sugar one weekend for a big ol' cookie cake slice from Great American Cookie Co. It just tasted overly sweet and like plastic and food coloring. Hugely disappointing.

I still love really good chocolate (Lindt, See's, and better quality) and donuts or pastries from a select few bakeries (macarons!). But I have become SUPER picky about this stuff...kind of a good thing of course...but when I take a bite of something less than great, I immediately regret it and not because of "guilt" but because it just isn't super-delicious tasting to me like it once was.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    ooh I thought of one savory-type food. McDoubles from McDonald's. My mom and I used to grab those for a buck when we were out running errands or whatever...was the perfect quick, cheap, tasty lunch. Now I think they taste like salt and leave an aftertaste of blood. Disgusting.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Reese's peanut butter cups. :frown:

There was a time when I loved them. When it was my TOM, I'd kill an entire 8 pack of them in a sitting. They were delicious. The only candy bar I'd ever eat was a Reese cup. I stopped eating them. Back in February, my sister got some for Valentine's day. I snuck one.

Alas, it was not the same. It actually tasted horrible compared to how I remember it. :cry:

I think I have spoiled myself to real peanut butter and chocolate. And now, those peanut butter cups will never be the same.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lol