Question for the REALLY big joggers out there

Options
Ok I am 268 lbs and 5' 3". I know I am VERY VERY overweight. BUT I have been working out solid 4-7 days a week for like 5-6 months now. (Yay me!) and I have lost around 26 lbs total (woohoo!). My question to the other big people out there...I have noticed many of you can jog. How on earth do you guys do that?!?! I walk 3 mph and it is a fabulous burn, but the 'uncomfortability' of jogging scares me to death. Now only you large people will know what I mean. Our jiggly bits (thank you Bridgette Jones diary for a cute reference lol) move, shift, slap, and all the other gross verbs out there lol. Doesnt it hurt or at the very least get uncomfortable?!? And I know I have seen some people post who are bigger than me that they jog! I am strictly speaking of the fat moving and bouncing, not the strain or the short breath (I can handle that lol). Anybody willing to step up and give me some tips so I can maybe, too, start jogging? :blushing:

Replies

• bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Do a web search on C25K. It is a start jogging program. Many here have used it. I personally have a bad knee so cannot start jogging until I take some more weight off.

Good luck.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think if you have the right running gear, you don't have to worry about your parts "jiggling". There are pants that are fitted to hold things in place. Plus, a good bra is a must! Look into Moving Comfort. They have the best bras for running for any size of woman.

Also, start off slow. Jog for like a minute and then walk. It takes time to build up. I remember when I start jogging, jogging more than a tenth of a mile was way difficult. Now, I can run a couple of miles without walking. It takes time to build up.
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I know it won't up the comfort factor too much, but it will restrain the jiggly bits if you wear some kind of body shaper when you work out (you can usually find them up to 3x and some can cover from mid thigh the top of your abs, Walmart around $20). I've also heard that wearing them often will aid in tightening the skin as you loose weight (most friends that have had babies and had to deal with the skin and weight say this is a fantastic tool), so you don't have as much floppiness...it aids in the elasticity of the skin. Hope this helps. Soon you won't have to worry about it!!!
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Do a web search on C25K. It is a start jogging program. Many here have used it. I personally have a bad knee so cannot start jogging until I take some more weight off.

Good luck.

Thanks! I will do that!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    C25K (Couch to 5k). There is a podcast on itunes that I used. I ran my first 5k Saturday!! It does work if you stick with it. And yes, good bra and good shoes. If you think your ankles might be a little weak, some simple athletic taping will help. I use it on an ankle I sprained last year when it starts to bother me. I also use compression tights. You might not want to go that route, but I find that I can't wear super loose clothes as the jiggly gets to me! :) Good luck!!
  • groucherella
    Options
    You have to bind the boobs with kryptonite strength and as for the other jiggly bits, I never notice them. Only pain I suffered was in the shin area, but I've worked through it, and done various stretches and am doing much better now. Check into the C25K
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas guys! :)
  • msemejuru
    Options
    Go to http://www.junonia.com for plus size workout clothes. They are pricey but the workout bra I purchased kept my DDD cups from moving an inch. If you are comfortable you can do anything!
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I wear more form fitting capri pants that, while not tight like Spanx, do keep the thighs from rubbing against each other or against the loose pants. (I still can not wear shorts when I walk/run because I spend more time pulling them down in between the legs where they like to ride up.) I also wear a sports bra with a tighter workout tank top over it. If that is not long enough to cover the tighter pants, I will put a looser or longer t-shirt over it. Most of my workout gear was purchased in Wal-Mart or Target. I see no need to put a lot of money into workout clothes that get worn out (think wear and rubbing) so quickly. Although, I must admit, I have had the same few pairs of pants for many months now and (yay!) they are getting a little big but not really too worn out.
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I jog 3 times a week - I'm 244lbs & I can be honest & say that there are times that my knees really hurt & I wonder what the hell I'm doing it for - but I completed my first 3 mile jog without stopping on Saturday & am doing my first 5k on 4th Dec.
    I know that once I have a steel grip of a sports bra & all the rest of my clothes are soft I feel very comfortable.
    The main thing is to start off slowly & follow a plan - that way you don't get put off ---- Good Luck
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I jog 3 times a week - I'm 244lbs & I can be honest & say that there are times that my knees really hurt & I wonder what the hell I'm doing it for - but I completed my first 3 mile jog without stopping on Saturday & am doing my first 5k on 4th Dec.
    I know that once I have a steel grip of a sports bra & all the rest of my clothes are soft I feel very comfortable.
    The main thing is to start off slowly & follow a plan - that way you don't get put off ---- Good Luck

Way to go Jam. I am still trying to work up to jogging that long. My big accomplishment is being able to go 10 minutes this week without stopping (and not feeling like I am going to keel over - lol)

AZlady, start off slow. I started three months ago doing 30 second jogs, and that was HARD. I have worked up more and more. I did not follow C25K simply because I walk a bridge over the river with quite the incline. I am still trying to master running up it. I can do it for about 1.5 minutes of the 5-7 minutes it takes to get over. Otherwise I would have been doing C25K too because I heard it was an excellent program.