Who uses a stationary bike?

JuicyJBaby3
JuicyJBaby3 Posts: 123 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been a regular to the gym for 3 months now. When I started I only used the treadmill, then worked my way to the elliptical. Recently after going up to 45 min on the elliptical, I began to get bored so I opted to try the stationary bike. The first time I tried it, I was a little bummed that for 15 min on level 10 the system only showed I burned 123 calories. Which to me seemed off cause it was hard work!

I got home and used a calorie counter and for doing 5.63 miles in 15 min was = to like 380 calories ( taking account that I am 200+ lbs). Does that sound right?? Thats like 20 mph which is like vigorous racing.

My question is: is this bike a hidden calorie buster that I have been missing out on??

Last night I used the elliptical for 30 min.. then hopped on the bike for 10 min.. and it literally bout killed me!!

What benefits have you seen from it.. is it the only equipment you use in a workout?

Replies

• butilovetacos
    butilovetacos Posts: 29 Member
    I love to use the stationary bike as my warm-up. I ride for about 15 mins and give it my all, it really gets my heart going for my weights and than keeps me motivated when I concur the stair master (which is murdering). Keep up the great work and switching it up is GREAT!!! I get super bored very easily, it is the curse of the ADHD!!! I like to do lots of different things!

Oh and i also find that my calories burned on the machine are much different than what MFP tells me I burned and what my HRM tells me! I just know that I am burning calories and getting fit! BE-FRIEND-ME, we can bike to nowhere together!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I use a spin bike, and it really depends on how hard you do it, I can burn 1000cals/hr doing it intensely
  • peanut352
    peanut352 Posts: 75 Member
    I walk, and also do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, but my main calorie burner every day is my stationary recumbent bike. It def burns alot more calories in a lot less time. I have been doing this for a little over 4 months and have lost 2lbs per week consistently (well there was two weeks I only lost 1lb) but still very consistent. I absolutely love my bike!!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I use my HRM to tell me what I am burning during workouts. I find the elliptical gives me a better cardio workout and burns almost double the calories of my recumbent bike. However, my legs get tired and burn more with the bike, so I think they are working harder there.

Question.....was the calorie counter you used specific to a stationary or recumbent bike or was it for cycling in general? I am sure that cycling outside with varying terrain and environmental conditions would burn much more calories that doing the same distance on an exercise bike, but I could be wrong. :smile:
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    I have been a regular to the gym for 3 months now. When I started I only used the treadmill, then worked my way to the elliptical. Recently after going up to 45 min on the elliptical, I began to get bored so I opted to try the stationary bike. The first time I tried it, I was a little bummed that for 15 min on level 10 the system only showed I burned 123 calories. Which to me seemed off cause it was hard work!

I got home and used a calorie counter and for doing 5.63 miles in 15 min was = to like 380 calories ( taking account that I am 200+ lbs). Does that sound right?? Thats like 20 mph which is like vigorous racing.

My question is: is this bike a hidden calorie buster that I have been missing out on??

Last night I used the elliptical for 30 min.. then hopped on the bike for 10 min.. and it literally bout killed me!!

What benefits have you seen from it.. is it the only equipment you use in a workout?

I have a recumbent bike which is similar to a stationary bike except that you can set the resistance and speed either manually or with an ifit training card. It also has a built in heart rate monitor similar to those that some treadmills have - you grip the handle and it reads your current heart rate. Recently, I have been monitoring my heart rate and keeping it above 130 then using a calculator to calculate my calorie burn (http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm). This seems to be very close to the calorie burn that MFP uses for the stationary very vigorous calorie burn. It is just a little higher - recognizing that this isn't a "regular" HRM and so my ability to consistently monitor my heart rate and then have a printout that tells me what my "real" average Heart rate is, I am accepting pretty much what MFP indicates as being relatively close. It could be somewhat higher or lower. The important thing is to recognize in your body when your heart rate is elevated to the point you are really burning calories. I can ALWAYS tell, especially following the workout, if it was a good workout or if I only put in moderate effort. last night for example, I gave it my all for 30 minutes. I estimated I burned approximately 475 calories and I definitely believe that I did because my heart rate and body temperature after the workout indicated that I had put forth very vigorous effort. There have been other nights when I am more tired, less motivated and then my physical condition following the workout provides evidence that I just didn't put my all into it. So, really, just get to know your body - realize what it can do, what it feels like when you give it your all, and you will be able to then determine the level of calorie burn. Eating healthy and getting that heart rate up there for at least 30 minutes are the most important elements to successful weight loss as well as becoming a healthier person.

Vickie
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    I live in the country, and the small town nearby does not have a gym. So I exercise at home. I do recumbant bike, treadmill, kettlebell, and some other stuff I create. When I first started the bike, I couldn't do more than 30 seconds without terrible knee pain. I just kept chipping away at it each day. Now I do 60 to 120 minutes a day, with 90 being the typical day. If I don't do the bike, I notice the next day that some of my knee pain is trying to return. For me, the trick has been to park the bike in front of the tv. I try not to watch tv unless I'm biking, unless I have reached my goal for the day. If the show is good enough, I don't even notice I'm exercising. And on those phone calls I wish I didn't have to take, I ride as well... at least that person isn't wasting my time. Haha

Good luck on your journey!
  • I picked up a used Schwinn Airdyne from a neighbor for $150 last year and it sure gives a good workout with the feet and arms both moving. I also walk/jog on a treadmill but I'm not losing like I have in the past. I think I'm going to start spending more time with strength training on my bowflex and see if that makes a difference.
  • JuicyJBaby3
    JuicyJBaby3 Posts: 123 Member
    Thanks for the info guys... I think I will start to make the stationary bike a part of my workout more often.. Maybe the first 15 min.. Seems like I have a better handle on it because I havent exhusted my legs from other activites yet.
This discussion has been closed.