Shin splints. Please help!

Options
Hi all,

I noticed on my last few runs that I have been getting shin splints and I dont know why! I sometimes get them but I havent had them for a while. I was wondering if theres a reason for getting shin splints and secondly what can we do to help it and is there a cure for it? Any advice is much appreciated. Its quite painful on my shins when running and it seems to be affecting my running.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... but I havent had them for a while

Two potential factors, what age are your shoes and are they used for non-running activities, and have you recently increased your mileage or speed much?

It could be that shoes are worn out and need replaced, or it could just be a bit of overtraining.
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    They also happen when you switch surfaces you run on. If you walk on hard floors at work during most of your shift and then run on the sidewalk for your workout this can lead to shin splints. I've had them all my life and ignore them.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Ice & run less
  • taraneedham73
    taraneedham73 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My shoes do not need replacing!! They are new shoes and I only got them last week. To be honest I am having a lot of hassle with trainers at the moment and they are the 4th pair from the shop. I was running in a pair of Nike structure and I didnt seem to get shin splints in those but I did race for life the other week and my ankle was hurting afterwards so I took them back and they said I can change them for a higher support shoe. I have had ankle pain for the last few months but I had a sports massage which eased the pain a bit. Would a new pair of running shoes give me shin splints?

The reason I say I havent had shins splints for a while is because I sometimes used to get them in my old trainers but I havent experienced them for a while. I got a new pair of trainers about 2 months ago and they gave me shin splints and also ankle pain and I took them back and changed them for a different pair. I just hope the Brooks trainers havent given me the shin splints? I have put ice on my shins and also been doing toe raises.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Would a new pair of running shoes give me shin splints?

Not out of the question, personally my road shoes are motion control, so if I use a more cushioned shoe I end up in a lot of pain. If you've gone from a shoe with less control then it may be contributing.

Given what you're describing about ankle pain, as well as shin pain then it's dififcult to suggest the most appropriate response. I'd be inclined to suggest a physio referral.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My shoes do not need replacing!! They are new shoes and I only got them last week. To be honest I am having a lot of hassle with trainers at the moment and they are the 4th pair from the shop. I was running in a pair of Nike structure and I didnt seem to get shin splints in those but I did race for life the other week and my ankle was hurting afterwards so I took them back and they said I can change them for a higher support shoe. I have had ankle pain for the last few months but I had a sports massage which eased the pain a bit. Would a new pair of running shoes give me shin splints?

The reason I say I havent had shins splints for a while is because I sometimes used to get them in my old trainers but I havent experienced them for a while. I got a new pair of trainers about 2 months ago and they gave me shin splints and also ankle pain and I took them back and changed them for a different pair. I just hope the Brooks trainers havent given me the shin splints? I have put ice on my shins and also been doing toe raises.

Have you had a gait analysis done to see what type of shoe you need (stability, neutral, etc.)? Also, increasing your mileage too quickly can result in shin splints. Changing terrain can cause them, such as suddenly running hills when you have been mostly doing flat terrain.

As others have said, icing and compression after each run can help. They also make neoprene shin splint sleeves to wear while running. There are also exercises you can do to strengthen your feet and legs. But the biggest factor is running in the wrong shoes, and increasing mileage too quickly.
  • taraneedham73
    Options
    Are you saying that a more cushioned shoe is likely to give me shin splints? Thats a bit confusing. It says online if your shoes dont give enough support then that can give shin splints. If the new shoes are giving me shin splints then I might be better off going back to the shop again but its not something I want to do but I would rather have the Nike ones that I had before as they didnt give me shin splints.

Once my shins feel better I think I might try a run in my old trainers and if I am not getting pain in my shins then it could be the new trainers that are giving me pain. Shin splints is just as bad as having ankle pain and I want to continue with my running but I dont think I can if I am getting shin splints.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Okay...honetly...you didn't get the shin splints with the Nikes, but got ankle pain. Switched them out for your current shoe, and now have shin splints. Willing to bet it is the shoes.
  • taraneedham73
    Options
    [/quote]

Have you had a gait analysis done to see what type of shoe you need (stability, neutral, etc.)? Also, increasing your mileage too quickly can result in shin splints. Changing terrain can cause them, such as suddenly running hills when you have been mostly doing flat terrain.

As others have said, icing and compression after each run can help. They also make neoprene shin splint sleeves to wear while running. There are also exercises you can do to strengthen your feet and legs. But the biggest factor is running in the wrong shoes, and increasing mileage too quickly.
    [/quote]

I have been told that I am an over pronator and I think I am as my foot rolls in slightly when I run. The reason why they changed my shoes to a higher support shoe is because they said a more support shoe will help with the over pronation. I havent increased my mileage recently, I am only doing about 3 miles on a run. Would increasing speed cause shin splints?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Are you saying that a more cushioned shoe is likely to give me shin splints?

Over-pronators tend to be more subject to shin splins than neutral runners or under pronators. If an over-pronator were to run in an excessively cushioned shoe, rather than a motion control shoe, then the risk of shin splints is increased.
    ...I might be better off going back to the shop again...

where are you going for these shoes?
  • taraneedham73
    Options
    I have been told that I am an over pronator and I think I am as my foot rolls in slightly when I run. The reason why they changed my shoes to a higher support shoe is because they said a more support shoe will help with the over pronation. I havent increased my mileage recently, I am only doing about 3 miles on a run. Would increasing speed cause shin splints? The trainers I have are Brooks Adrenaline 14
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If your shoes aren't the proper type then yes new shoes can contribute to shin splints. As another suggested a gait analysis would be very useful. Do you struggle during your run? If you find yourself "shuffling" or struggling that could cause shin splints. Resting would be good. If you push yourself when injured you can get stress fractures.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Cushioned shoes are generally designed for "underproners" or people with high arches. These people tend to have more back problems because the high arch does not absorb shock as well as it should. Motion controlled shoes are designed for "overproners" or people with low arches. These are the ones that generally have problems with shin splints and runner's knee because of their legs rotate when they run.

The best way to know what you need is to go to a good running shoe store and have a gait analysis, and I don't mean have someone just watch you from across the room while you walk barefoot. It works best if they have you wear your running shoes on a treadmill with cameras they can watch in slow motion. If I have someone just watch me walk I look like I am neither an over or an under proner, but on the slow motion camera, I am very clearly an overproner.

Now something you can try if you don't to have to replace your shoes is order a pair of the Superfeet green running insoles. They are a little pricy (about $40 a pair I think) and they are real stiff, but they solved all my shin splint and most of my runner's knee problems.
  • taraneedham73
    Options
    I am getting the shoes from sweatshop. The thing is I cannot get a refund on the shoes, they can only exchange them for another pair and its my 4th pair from the shop which is rather annoying and I think they are getting fed up with me by now. I thought a more cushioned and support shoe would not give you shin splints? It sounds like you are saying that a support shoe is going to make shin splints worse.

I got the shoes last Monday 9th June and I have done 3 runs in them and got shin splits on all 3 runs. It is a bit weird I wasnt getting shin splints in the Nike but I am in these ones. Do you think they would change them back for the Nike. I think time will tell when I do a run in my old trainers, if I dont get shin pain then I think that is telling me that its the Brooks trainers that is giving me shin pain. I seem to be having nothing but hassle with trainers at the moment
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had to switch to other form of exercise to get legs to recover after shin splints, try cycling or you might have to reduce on mileage. I was told by the doc that it is the surface and my type of shoe that caused it.

I am not an expert - just what I was told at the time
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I am getting the shoes from sweatshop.

OK, they're credible.
    I thought a more cushioned and support shoe

They're different beasts, a cushioned shoe is less supportive, whereas a motion control shoe tends to be less cushioned. An overpronator in a cushioned shoe is more likely to experience shin splints than running in a motion control shoe.

Given that you seem to have a combination of ankle and shin problems I'd suggest that while shoes are contributing to this there may be an underlying issue.

Do you do any resistance training?
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses, but here's my 2 cents worth. 1. Shoes either worn or moving your foot into unfamilar form can cause all sorts of havoc up and down you legs. So, shoes may be a culprit. 2. DO NOT IGNORE shin splits.....according to my sports medicine doc they can be the harbinger of stress fracture if not remedied. 3. STRETCH your lower body after runs. Everything from your plantar fascia to your IT band. Focus on stretches for Achilles and calves. Tight calves and Achilles can put extra strain on your shins and cause pain....again, info from my sports medicine doc. If all else fails, see a doctor that specializes in sports medicine and follow her/his advice. OK...that was like 4 cents worth.
  • taraneedham73
    Options
    The shoes I have been given are a higher support shoe and it mentions on a few websites that they are for over pronators and not under pronators and I know I over pronate. I have done a gait analysis and a few running stores have watched me run on the treadmill and it comes up on the screen as to what runner you are. To be honest the shin splints seem to be quite bad and quite painful. I dont want to get shin splints each time I go running so I am not sure what to do and I dont want to keep going back to the shop, I am sure they are fed up with me by now!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    They're different beasts, a cushioned shoe is less supportive, whereas a motion control shoe tends to be less cushioned. An overpronator in a cushioned shoe is more likely to experience shin splints than running in a motion control shoe.

Yep I've noticed that myself. I can do shorter runs in a neutral shoe but need a slight amount of support for longer runs. For neutral shoes I need something less "spongy" and the ASICS Nimbus is the best I have tried so far. It's a stiffer neutral shoe. A lot of cushioned shoes are too soft for me. Mizuno is another great choice.