Regaining after 60# loss! looking for support

Options
So, after reaching my goal weight last May, I have regained 18#. I am looking to add friend that might be struggling with the same thing so we can support each other. I have kept up with MFP recently and even though I feel as though I am still following the program and exercising a lot ( new bike, 60-80 miles per week ) it continues to creep on. All my skinny clothes are to small, ugh!!! Pardon my whining, I promise to keep it to a minimum. But if you relate, please send a friend request...

Replies

• markaleeb
    markaleeb Posts: 1
    Options
    I am in an identical situation! I also lost 60 lbs and kept it off for about 3 years. Over the last 3 or 4 months, I have gained a little here and a little there. I ended up gaining about 15 lbs. I started back on Myfitnesspal this Monday and have already lost 4 lbs, so I am excited! When I see results that quickly, it motivates me even more to stick with it! I am going on a vacation to Daytona Beach in a few weeks, so that is even more reason for me to stick w/ it!

My mistake was not using Myfitness pal after I met my weight loss goal. I am the type of eater who eats because the food is good - not really because i'm hungry. When I use this site, it helps me to realize just how much i'm eating (when I'm not dieting).

This has been, by far, the easiest diet for me to follow. I still eat what I want, just smaller amounts of it.

At any rate - you can do it! The first couple of weeks is usually the hardest for me - but once I get into the routine, it just becomes part of my daily routine :)

Good luck!
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling that comes from regaining weight after a major loss. I had lost 51 pounds following the 5:2 WOE from April to October 2013 when I started maintenance. At that point I was actually too thin so the initial 3-8 pounds was OK but I was struggling after December with sugar cravings and have been since then. The weight crept back up another seven pounds. Right now I am recuperating from surgery so cannot exercise and that is not helping my case. This week I was finally able to have two successful fasts and to eat appropriately the other days and have dropped 5 pounds. Thank heavens! I think I'm finally back on track in the eating department and the exercise will take care of the rest once I am allowed to do so. Maintenance is really a tricky thing and if we could just tell our bodies "I'm on maintenance" and it would listen to us, all would be well. The thing is, although we have lost the weight we have not cured the habit of eating just because it tastes good and we are thin now so why not, attitude. I have to say this week has been a really good one for me. I feel better and am content to get back to my goal. I'm pretty sure it won't take long because it hasn't been on my body for very long and I'll bet it will be the same for you. Good luck on your journey.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I was just reading about this problem this morning (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all).
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I lost 54 pounds and kept most of it off for years. Then one cookie or candy too many and it's the slippery slope for me. Granted, I made lifestyle changes and don't stuff myself until I can't move and I don't eat much cereal, bread or starch anymore. But the clincher was getting sick and bed ridden for 6 months. I reached a new high weight. Now I'm down 37 pounds from my highest.

Were you still weighing yourself regularly once you started maintenance? You want to always be aware of gains or losses as well as what you're eating. Coming back and asking for support is the best decision.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I was just reading about this problem this morning (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all).
    Arggg, I'm upset with that study. I study studies and I also am a participant in many clinical trials.

The problem is a low fat diet! It's also a very low calorie diet. Just because you got fat or your genetics are against you doesn't mean you are destine to failure. Eat fat and eliminate refined carbs and high glycemic foods along with a regular good sleep and exercise regime and maintaining weight and hunger is easily sustainable.

Oh, that article touched a nerve!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Arggg, I'm upset with that study. I study studies and I also am a participant in many clinical trials.

The problem is a low fat diet! It's also a very low calorie diet. Just because you got fat or your genetics are against you doesn't mean you are destine to failure. Eat fat and eliminate refined carbs and high glycemic foods along with a regular good sleep and exercise regime and maintaining weight and hunger is easily sustainable.

Oh, that article touched a nerve!

It's funny you say that. I am also a researcher and teach statistics and scientific methodology. I do just as you do. I was going to post on low glycemic but every time I do I get so many negative comments I decided against it.