I can't ever lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    And as a personal opinion: Humans are omnivores. Meat contains many nutrients essential to our health, including Protein and Iron. Vegetarians tend to have a lot of health problems, bad skin and frail constitutions because they simply are not getting enough nutritional food to maintain their immune system and overall health. I urge all vegetarian and vegan friends to please reconsider, for their health. Meat and poultry really are pretty much required parts of a human diet. If you insist on cutting those things completely out, then you owe it to your body to replace that loss with supplements.

No. just no. I'm sorry but you are wrong. Maybe you've known some that were vegetarian/vegan that didn't think it out or research what was needed, that I can understand. I do understand about needing to take supplements *if* they aren't meeting their macros. I know that people should research and make sure they are getting their macros.

I've been a vegetarian for 24 years. I do NOT have health issues, I do NOT have bad skin or frail constitutions. My sister (who eats meat) often tells me how awesome my skin looks, and she thinks it's better than hers.

Meat and poultry (which poultry is meat) are NOT required parts of the human diet, if they were I suppose I'd be dead. Again, vegetarian for 24 years. Alive, healthy, I squat 150#, Deadlift 190#, along with other lifting heavy things.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

And as a personal opinion: Humans are omnivores. Meat contains many nutrients essential to our health, including Protein and Iron. Vegetarians tend to have a lot of health problems, bad skin and frail constitutions because they simply are not getting enough nutritional food to maintain their immune system and overall health. I urge all vegetarian and vegan friends to please reconsider, for their health. Meat and poultry really are pretty much required parts of a human diet. If you insist on cutting those things completely out, then you owe it to your body to replace that loss with supplements.

Uh... I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on that. As a vegetarian for 5 years, I can assure you that I eat a balanced diet, pay close attention to my macros and micros, and eat plenty of protein (in fact, I eat more protein than some meat-eaters I know). I have no health problems (aside from yearly check-ups, I haven't had to go to a doctor or take prescription medication for anything since before I turned 18), people compliment me on my skin and my complexion all the time, and I don't even know what a "frail constitution" is... but "frail" is definitely not a word anyone has ever used to describe me. If you prefer to eat meat, that's shibby - more for you. But I urge you to reconsider your ill-informed opinion on vegetarian and vegan diets. It may not be the lifestyle for you, and that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's a bad life choice for someone else.

To the OP, I agree that if you are already at a healthy weight and aren't terribly concerned with the number on the scale, you may be happier with the results if you focus on your body composition and start a heavy lifting program. :smile:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Just so you know any diet one eats, whether they eat meat or not, can have issues with bad skin, and frail constitutions, due to lack of "enough nutritional food" as you put it.
    Eating meat does not mean they are getting all the essential nutrients (Macro and Micro) day in day out.

It takes a little more research and a little more effort to do this as a vegetarian/vegan, however, most have no issues doing this.

Get off your high horse and do some research of your own before posted absolute BS.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    And as a personal opinion: Humans are omnivores.
    [/quote]
    Actually humans now have the choice of being omnivorous or herbivores.
    Meat contains many nutrients essential to our health, including Protein and Iron. Vegetarians tend to have a lot of health problems, bad skin and frail constitutions because they simply are not getting enough nutritional food to maintain their immune system and overall health.
    And a large majority of the population who are omnivorous don't suffer from vitamin deficiencies, poor diets and bad health?:huh: Poor nutritional planning and execution is not something that is exclusive to vegans or vegetarians.
    I urge all vegetarian and vegan friends to please reconsider, for their health.
    Wow thanks for urging others to take on your dietary preference based upon the observations of the vast percentage of the vegetarian/vegan community you have obviously met. /sarcasm
    Meat and poultry really are pretty much required parts of a human diet. If you insist on cutting those things completely out, then you owe it to your body to replace that loss with supplements.
    Nope they are not as long as you are getting the required amount of nutrients (macro, micro) protein is not that difficult, including all the essential amino acids, necessary fats etc I concur supplementing a diet that is deficient is not a bad thing, B12 and sometime a vitamin D supplement are recommended, but once again supplements are not exclusively needed for vegan/vegetarians, most people supplement their diets with multivitamins if they care about their health.
  • Lara124911
    Lara124911 Posts: 23
    Options
    I was over weight and tried so many things. Different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to find one that worked for me. I lost 18 pounds in one month without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrased to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way. Just shoot me an email at secretosdelara@gmail.com and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ...forget it
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Lol at omnivores.
    As a vegetarian you gotta work a lot harder to get the right nutrition, amino acids and what not.
    It's possible, but hard work. Lazy vegetarians are reasonably common and that's not a good place to be.
    Much easier to just eat meat, but everyone gets to choose
    choose.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    <
    look at us 3 with our horrible skin...yup, all 3 of us are vegetarians. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    <
    look at us 3 with our horrible skin...yup, all 3 of us are vegetarians. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You also look quite frail. :wink:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    <

You also look quite frail. :wink:

I know right??!!! So does my 6'2" brother who is a really big dude.