Garmin Vivofit vs Polar FT40 - Calorie Calculation

Hi there - has anyone else experienced any issues in calorie calculation between these two devices? I'm getting totally different readings between the two and unfortunately its messing up my calculation for my remainder of the day calorie intake!

For example, if I wear just the Vivofit with my HRM strap and take a look at the activity after I've completed my exercising, it will range anywhere from 670-780 calories just for that one activity. It's usually either jogging or on an elliptical with my HR at a steady 165-175.

When wearing the Polar FT40 with the HRM strap, completing either of the same exercises with the same HR range of 165-175, I usually get a calculation of 480-540 calorie burn.

Has anyone else experienced this type of difference and which one is accurate? That's probably my main concern! If I could tell which is more accurate then I would wear that strictly for exercise. Any input helps. Thanks!

Replies

• 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    I have with my Vivofit and FR220... I thought my device was defective but replacement does the same thing... Makes me have less faith in the Vivofit...
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member

I have a bit of a problem with those calculators as the activity levels are slightly confusing. I do at least 14 hours a week exercise, but I would not call it strenuous. Some of my exercises are others are not.

I prefer to set my activity level to sedentary and then add some (!) of my exercise calories manually. I have the luxury of owning a Polar multisportswatch with heart rate monitor and so far my calorie expenditure calculated by my watch is pretty much spot on.

I tested it by eating all of my exercise calories back over some time and I was able to maintain my weight.

To the OP: I would go with the more conservative number just to be on the safe side. Polar heart rate monitors have a good reputation.

Stef.
  • Hii, I am new but I have owned my Polar FT40 since 2009 and the Polar Loop since January of this year. I am not familar with the VivoFit. I did find a difference in the Loop vs FT40 but only a couple of %.

Basically, I think the FT40 is probably more accurate that the VivoFit if you have taken the fitness test including on the FT40 and set the VmaxO2 accordingly.