High Fat diet

Options
I'm eating over my fat every day but the fats that i'm consuming are not from mcdonalds nor red meat.

Mainly the fats are coming from cheese and olive oil. Over all - i'm hitting my goal for fats (what MFP recommends) on a weekly basis as some days my fat levels stay lower if I keep away from cheese and olive oil.

However, lately - with more working out - my body is getting so much good energy from these foods - it's craving these foods.

Anyone want to check out my diary and just make sure i'm not going to be clogging anything up or that i'm not doing extreme damage by "going over" my fat limit on certain days (weeks).

Thanks, Dana

Replies

• klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Most people like me who eat high fat...are on a LCHF regime (keto or paleo). I eat fats/proteins mostly and very little carbs (under 30g a day).

I can tell you that your ratios are totally off. 1490 is very high for wanting to lose. In addition I would try to cut out the bread and diet coke, Stick with water and coffee. Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional content - have spinach/kate/chard - instead. Your meals don't have much nutritional content at all. Just fat and carbs. I would start eating a better breakfast, 600 cal salad for lunch is a lot. Your dinner appears to be fine, but I will say processed foods like that Ragu sauce are full of excess salts and other additives. Making your own isn't hard and is far cleaner.
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to do paleo or any other carb cycle or anything like that. I have considered it and feel the it is unattainable (RIGHT NOW) not to say that I would not give these a try in the future.

I read a little bit about ketosis... and i'm not aiming for that either. I guess - from someone on basic "healthy" lifestyle - having a high fat diet is okay???

I should be eating cheese and olive oil? It's not going to kill me???

This is better than fast food!! I'm not ready to give up bread - there - I admit it. I'm just not going to right now.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What are your protein/carb/fat ratios?
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    How much cheese are you eating?
    Olive oil is fine.

I have my macros set to protein and carbs, 25% and fat at 50%.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to do paleo or any other carb cycle or anything like that. I have considered it and feel the it is unattainable (RIGHT NOW) not to say that I would not give these a try in the future.

I read a little bit about ketosis... and i'm not aiming for that either. I guess - from someone on basic "healthy" lifestyle - having a high fat diet is okay???

This is better than fast food!! I'm not ready to give up bread - there - I admit it. I'm just not going to right now.

Your ratios are off. If you refuse to reduce your carb to fat intake you won't lose weight. Your already running a large glycogen surplus at 1490cals a day unless your doing serious exercise. No you cannot have a high fat diet unless you balance it out by giving up something. As I mentioned carbs being the easiest. I would do some research and educate yourself on balancing your ratios.
  • danaberge
    Options
    Right now MFP goal is Carbs-50% Fat 30% and Protein 20%

I'm thinking I should change this to Carbs 40% and Fat and Protein 30%

This would be okay???
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I like cheese, use olive oil, and like my diet soda also. My carb # tends to be a little low each day (compared to the default MFP guidelines) but I don't worry about it. Mainly I make sure to get a variety of fruits & veggies each day, and enough protein. And let the fat/carbs fall where they may.

I do wonder if you're truly using as much shredded mozzarella as you log? It seems like a lot. Do you weight it out on a food scale each time?
  • danaberge
    Options

Your ratios are off. If you refuse to reduce your carb to fat intake you won't lose weight. Your already running a large glycogen surplus at 1490cals a day unless your doing serious exercise. No you cannot have a high fat diet unless you balance it out by giving up something. As I mentioned carbs being the easiest. I would do some research and educate yourself on balancing your ratios.

Right now i'm within the ratios that MFP set for me. I wanted to change them to carbs 40% and protein and fat 30:30
  • danaberge
    Options
    I like cheese, use olive oil, and like my diet soda also. My carb # tends to be a little low each day (compared to the default MFP guidelines) but I don't worry about it. Mainly I make sure to get a variety of fruits & veggies each day, and enough protein. And let the fat/carbs fall where they may.

I do wonder if you're truly using as much shredded mozzarella as you log? It seems like a lot. Do you weight it out on a food scale each time?

We think alike! And we can do this! I'm probably over thinking! HAHA I did a whole study on Paleo today.. and it's just not for me.. right now!
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options

This would be okay???

Absolutely! I'm losing with more fat too! I eat a lot of peanuts, almonds, cashews, etc for healthy fats, low carbs. :smile:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

This would be okay???

Yeah that would be totally okay.

As for concern of how much fat you are getting keep in mind that when you diet appropriately that calorie deficit you are generated is balanced out by your body burning your own bodyfat. So not only are you getting the fat from what you ingest you are also getting the fat from your body.

The point being pretty much everyone who is losing weight is getting a lot of fat in their diet :-)
  • danaberge
    Options
    Ok! Awesome! I just want to make sure that this is okay with a "high" carb ratio. Even though I really never go over 50% right now - ever!!!

Aiming a little lower I can do.. and still enjoy my pita bread with greek salads.

:)
  • monolith66
    Options
    Protein is the macro you want the most of, honestly go 40/30/30. Those are my macros and I find I get enough fat to be sated, very sustainable over the long term. I recommend exercise as well if you don't already, cardio and strength training.
  • danaberge
    Options
    Protein is the macro you want the most of, honestly go 40/30/30. Those are my macros and I find I get enough fat to be sated, very sustainable over the long term. I recommend exercise as well if you don't already, cardio and strength training.

I'm walking at least 4 hours a week and also am doing high intensity (sweat pouring) stepping while I watch tv about 3-4 times a week.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Most people like me who eat high fat...are on a LCHF regime (keto or paleo). I eat fats/proteins mostly and very little carbs (under 30g a day).

I can tell you that your ratios are totally off. 1490 is very high for wanting to lose. In addition I would try to cut out the bread and diet coke, Stick with water and coffee. Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional content - have spinach/kate/chard - instead. Your meals don't have much nutritional content at all. Just fat and carbs. I would start eating a better breakfast, 600 cal salad for lunch is a lot. Your dinner appears to be fine, but I will say processed foods like that Ragu sauce are full of excess salts and other additives. Making your own isn't hard and is far cleaner.

No offense (or maybe just a little bit) but this is god awful advice. 1490 is not that high for cutting weight, depending on the person cutting. I lose rapidly at around 2400 calories/day and rarely do cardio - saying 1490 is pushing it without considering a person's specific circumstances is ignorant. As for avoiding diet coke because it's not clean... yeah, that makes no sense. You're saying a 600 calorie salad is too much... that's not even a huge salad and if it fits into the daily calories, who cares? When doing IF my salads easily go above 1000 calories - again, who cares, so long as it fits into my daily goals?

The ratio of carbs to fat is completely irrelevant to weight loss. The raw amounts of carbs and fat are relevant (when considered with protein intake and alcohol consumption) to determine total calories. But the ratio of carbs to fat somehow mattering? Nonsense.
  • monolith66
    Options

I'm walking at least 4 hours a week and also am doing high intensity (sweat pouring) stepping while I watch tv about 3-4 times a week.

In that case, definitely go 40/30/30. You're going to need the carbs to sustain your energy level and the fats will keep you satisfied.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i eat 35% fat. i try to hit the fats goal (aim to reach) without going over the saturated fats amount (try to stay under). look at weekly averages, bc day to day is harder to reach (too ocd for most).

works for me. :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    IMO the potential 'problem' with consuming too much fat (in terms of weight loss) is if extreme, it doesn't leave many calories for protein, carbs and that can leave one feeling like they're not getting enough to eat.

I eat approximately 1400-1600 per day total, more often in the higher half than lower. I think the trick to all of this is for each to identify our strengths & weaknesses. And then focus on our weaknesses. For me, its drinking water & eating fruits & veggies and making sure I stay active. I'm lazy! Which is fine, as long as I don't myself give in to it too often.

Off to fill my water bottle and have some carrots & ranch. :)
  • bluntlysally
    Options
    there are too many bits of incorrect advice in this thread. ratio of this to that for weight loss is total crap. stop listening to this bs.

has your doctor ordered you to adjust your macros? (for me, yes!) <<this is truly the ONLY reason to be so worried about macros.

does adjusting your macros in a certain way allow you to full more full or more easily eat at a certain calorie goal? (for me, yes! more fats/protien/fiber keeps me full. incidentally, this generally comes out to an 80/20 rule of "real" vs processed.)

if you answered no to both, just go for trial and error.
  • bluntlysally
    Options
    and bc no one has mentioned it yet - search for the sexypants thread and READ IT. i'm pretty sure there is a link to a setting macros thread in there as well. READ that too.