Boston Marathon's speed

Options
DanOhh
DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
Your average treadmill's fastest setting is 10mph. The average winning speed of the Boston Marathon for the last several years has been about 12mph. That's 12mph for around 2hrs and 10min for a 5min mile pace. They would break your treadmill. WOW!

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's enough to boggle the mind. On the one hand they "only" have to hold that speed for two hours(ish)...but on the other hand I can't even bike that fast for two hours!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    They just did our local maraton and the winner finished in 2:18. I'm amazed. It's a hard 26 miles (not comparing to Boston since I have no clue what that one is like), they send you through a local park that is pretty much a wooded hill climb and well and up and down some incredible inclines around town. I can't even imagine how much time and effort it takes to train to that kind of ability.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Lol, I love when my husband runs on the treadmill @ 10-12 mph (god knows I couldn't go that fast) then I see him struggling for a 5k, and I think about people who go THAT FAST for SO LONG. Sheesh.