Carrot Fries! (Seriously Good!)

Tingababoo
Tingababoo Posts: 51 Member
Alright Guys and Gals ~ I know there's no substitute for a good 'ol French Fry (or crispy sweet potato fry) but Carrots? This is seriously good!

We ordered from Blue Apron and had these Carrot Fries
http://www.blueapron.com/recipes/mediterranean-lamb-burger-with-roasted-carrot-fries

Ingredients:
Olive Oil
1 Pound Carrots
2 Teaspoon Mediterranean Spice Blend (Ground Cumin & Caraway Seeds)

Directions:
Peel and cut the carrots into ½-inch thick sticks.
Place the carrots on a sheet pan. Season with salt, pepper and the spice blend.
Drizzle with olive oil and toss to thoroughly coat.
Roast, stirring halfway through, 18 to 20 minutes, or until tender and browned.

I love raw carrots but don't love the taste of a cooked carrot. But this is amazing! The toasted caraway seeds that stick to the toasty carrot sticks give you that crunch you yearn for on a french fry. I'm not saying its a substitute for French Fries by any means but you'll have it and be satisfied AND know you had a healthy serving of veggies. My husband snuck a few off the tray thinking they were sweet potato fries and was surprised to find out they were carrots :)

Hope you like it!

Replies

• I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Yum!
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Thanks! I am going to try these! :flowerforyou:
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    I'm going to try this! I've been wanting to try a service like Plated or Blue Apron for a while but so far it hasn't fit into my budget. Do you generally find the meals to be good?
  • hacker1234
    hacker1234 Posts: 225 Member
    Thanks, I like carrots and this certainly sounds like it's worth a try. I think I'll like them alot. Seems like you could just use those mini bags rather than go to the trouble of cutting them up.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Would this work with sweet potato, too?
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    An you substitute the carrots for cauliflower?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    That's not fries, That's fried carrot sticks. :wink:
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    That's not fries, That's fried carrot sticks. :wink:

What a derp thing to say
  • Tingababoo
    Yup you can definitely try the baby carrots (perhaps cut them in half if they are large) but for me, you lose the "fry" look/length which makes it satisfying for me, a girl can dream :)
  • Tingababoo
    In terms of veggie substitutes, I don't want to say because I haven't tried them. But I know there are a ton of good sweet potato and cauliflower bake recipes out there!
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Wow, these look amazing, thanks!
  • Stadtkatze91
    Stadtkatze91 Posts: 23 Member
    You guys do realize that you could actually do the same thing with potatoes? It's not that high in calories, the problem with french fries is that they deep fry it. But I always make my own potato fries out of the oven, for one pound it's just 350 calories and that is actually too much to eat anyway. One pound of carrots has 210calories, so not that big of a difference.
  • Tingababoo
    Wow! I didn't know it was only 350 Cal! For some reason I can never get Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes to crisp up well, do you know any tips?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    You guys do realize that you could actually do the same thing with potatoes? It's not that high in calories, the problem with french fries is that they deep fry it. But I always make my own potato fries out of the oven, for one pound it's just 350 calories and that is actually too much to eat anyway. One pound of carrots has 210calories, so not that big of a difference.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    ^damn box, i wanted it to look like I said it!:grumble:
  • Stadtkatze91
    Stadtkatze91 Posts: 23 Member
    Well i never really go for the really thin fries, i just go for thin potato wedges, but they always crisp up nicely. So I just cut them and put them in a bowl, then add about 1 tbs of olive oil and some spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, .. just whatever you feel like) put the lid on and shake very well so the oil is distributed properly and then heat up the oven to 180 degrees and spread out the potatoes on baking paper and let them in there for about 30-40 minutes, you can then take one out and try it and if its not crispy enough just turn up the heat to 200 for another few minutes until your satisfied. I get them on the outside nice and crispy and inside their still soft and fluffy - exactly like I want them.

I usually take 300g of potato, so thats 210calories + olive oil a total of 291cal, which is perfectly fine :wink:
  • Tingababoo
    Yum! Will try! Thanks! :)
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Sounds delicious, thank you for sharing!
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member

Yup, I also like to add some fresh sage...
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,010 Member
    Great idea, thanks for sharing. Sounds kid friendly :)