Tips on strength training on a tight schedule

Options
For the past two years, I have worked part-time. That means that I could go to the gym for a wonderful weight-lifting session Monday and Wednesday mornings after dropping my kid at daycare and before heading to work at 11am. Then I would pick up the kid after work around 4, go home to play, make a leisurely dinner, etc. I hated not working full time but the schedule was nice. I also went on Saturday mornings while the offspring hung out in the gym nursery.

Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday morning strength-training. Maybe a light swim or run on Friday mornings. It was a pattern, a habit, and so easy to keep up with.

I just got a new job! Yay! But it is from 8am to 5pm 5 days a week. GULP.

I would love some input on how and if I can maintain my strength-training. The kid will have to be dropped off at daycare around 7:30, which is when we used to sit down to eat breakfast. Anyone get up around 5am to lift weights? Is it just painful? Any tips on how to get to the gym, shower, get dressed up, eat, feed the kid, and get out the door so early?

Or maybe I could do it on my lunch break, although I'm always STARVING afterwards. Anyone have tips on that?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I get up at 515 to exercise. You can do it. Can you do something at home? That would eliminate a lot of time spent traveling.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    As a swimmer you should be used to those early hours! I wake up at 4:30 to work out from 5-6:30, shower walk the dog and eat all before leaving at 7:15. The first couple weeks will be hell but once you adjust you'll enjoy the routine more than working out after work when you have no energy at all.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I get up at 515 to exercise. You can do it. Can you do something at home? That would eliminate a lot of time spent traveling.

I can do it! I also worry about my poor hubby having to get the kid ready in the morning as I'm at the gym. I can't do weight lifting at home unless we get a squat bar and full set of weights :)
  • swimmermama
    Options
    As a swimmer you should be used to those early hours! I wake up at 4:30 to work out from 5-6:30, shower walk the dog and eat all before leaving at 7:15. The first couple weeks will be hell but once you adjust you'll enjoy the routine more than working out after work when you have no energy at all.

I was getting up at 4:30 for masters swimming a few years ago... and then I got pregnant. I was lucky to swim 20 laps in one day while I was pregnant and switched mostly to weights after having her. In other words, I've never done the morning workout thing with a dependent hanging about :)
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a kettlebell program called Simple and Sinister. It's minimalist: a warmup circuit, then 100 swings and 10 Turkish getups. Takes about 25 minutes. It's not perfect, but I have an infant, a full-time job and other hobbies (Brazilian jiu jitsu a couple nights a week, wish I could train more), so it works for me.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I spend 20-30min in the gym. Set yourself up a compound exercise circuit. 5 rounds of bench press, pull ups, squats, and burpees makes for a short, killer workout that hits every muscle.

You can easily get it in before you need to drop the kids off!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I can do it! I also worry about my poor hubby having to get the kid ready in the morning as I'm at the gym. I can't do weight lifting at home unless we get a squat bar and full set of weights :)

Not seeing the problem. Home gyms are relatively cheap and pay for themselves in unspent gym fees.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    I have a new schedule! I get up at 4:50am two days during the week and rush to the gym for a quick workout and shower. I'm home, already showered and dressed, by 6:30am. It's tight but I can get out by 7:30am. I'm exhausted by the evening but I'm sleeping great! :)

Still enjoy my nice, leisurely Saturday workout the best, though!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Do you have any room in your living space for an at home set up? A bar, some weights and a bench don't take up much room and then you'd save not only the money on a membership but you'd also save a lot of time when you could just walk to your weights then walk to your shower to get ready.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:20 to lift 3 days during the week. It becomes, a habit pretty fast! You can do this!
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It cannot be done. If you try to strength train fast it becomes cardio. :wink:
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Do you have any room in your living space for an at home set up? A bar, some weights and a bench don't take up much room and then you'd save not only the money on a membership but you'd also save a lot of time when you could just walk to your weights then walk to your shower to get ready.

I wish! We just don't have the space, unfortunately.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

or crossfit :wink:
  • swimmermama
    Options

or crossfit :wink:

God forbid! :)