Does swimming in freezing water still burn calories??

Options
dakotababy
dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
does swimming in cold water still burn *as many* calories as it would in warmer/normal water temperature in a lake? (as I believe it will be harder for my muscles to warm up, etc.)

Replies

• 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Being cold, exercising in cooler temps, swimming in cool water actually burns more calories because of thermodynamics. We expend calories trying to warm the body up to base temperature. Shivering is one of the best ways to burn calories!
  • MississippiMama87
    Options
    If this is even a real question...
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Of course this is a real question - though, the answer does not make a difference, because I am going to be doing this regardless. I just figured if muscles become cold that the calorie burn would decrease, and not increase.
  • ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Of course it does.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    why would you think it wouldn't?
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just because I am curious based on your question of "does it even burn calories?", please tell me you have in fact trained for this by actually swimming?

I say this because I do Ironman races which start with a 2.4 mile swim. I am hungry as hell after my training swims. It is significant exercise. I'm worried that for you to not know that means that you haven't been training, and I have to tell you, that sounds dangerous. Swimming long distances is not easy. Please tell me you have been training or please re-think the swim.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Does it STILL burn calories?

No, swimming in freezing water stopped burning calories back in 1997.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just because I am curious based on your question of "does it even burn calories?", please tell me you have in fact trained for this by actually swimming?

I say this because I do Ironman races which start with a 2.4 mile swim. I am hungry as hell after my training swims. It is significant exercise. I'm worried that for you to not know that means that you haven't been training, and I have to tell you, that sounds dangerous. Swimming long distances is not easy. Please tell me you have been training or please re-think the swim.

This is what I'm saying...
  • dakotababy
    Options
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    you'll burn twice as many calories if you sleep with your hands in warm water.
  • morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Being cold, exercising in cooler temps, swimming in cool water actually burns more calories because of thermodynamics. We expend calories trying to warm the body up to base temperature. Shivering is one of the best ways to burn calories!

The shivering thing is true- but I'm not sure if exercise in cold temperature burns more calories. Wouldn't the body have to work less hard by way of sweating in order to actually cool the body down? No need to shiver because the exercise warms up the body on its own. So- in my admittedly unresearched opinion- I believe it would burn less calories. But probably not a significant amount less since the main calorie consumption is from the muscles and not the sweat glands.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options

The shivering thing is true- but I'm not sure if exercise in cold temperature burns more calories. Wouldn't the body have to work less hard by way of sweating in order to actually cool the body down? No need to shiver because the exercise warms up the body on its own. So- in my admittedly unresearched opinion- I believe it would burn less calories. But probably not a significant amount less since the main calorie consumption is from the muscles and not the sweat glands.

I believe it's true because you're submerged in water. A person doesn't typically sweat when swimming regardless of water temp so they would burn more calories because their body has to work harder to regulate the body temperature if the water is colder. But don't swim in water that is FREEZING. You could get hypothermia!
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    not sure if SRS
  • MississippiMama87
    Options

The exercising in cooler temps I'm actually not sure of. I just know that cold=burn.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Sweating does not require ATP.
  • dakotababy
    Options

I believe it's true because you're submerged in water. A person doesn't typically sweat when swimming regardless of water temp so they would burn more calories because their body has to work harder to regulate the body temperature if the water is colder. But don't swim in water that is FREEZING. You could get hypothermia!

I can say that the water is not freezing, as in - the ice is gone. The water is still going to be really cold, not "come in - the water is great!" I checked some charts about hypothermia, and I will not know the water temp. until I get there. Unfortunately the lake is 3 hours away. I can expect the water to be AT LEAST 4 degree's c. If not, I will not be able to do the swim due to the high chance of hypo.

I was asking because I would think since the body is in cold water, it would not be able to warm up - thus not having as high of a calorie burn. Thought I would check, and ended up with a bunch of sarcastic responses (which hey - this is MFP.) I am very grateful for the decent and informative responses, the rest - luckily I am able to hit ignore on the users from here on out!

Thanks again for your response, whatever that may be! :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I can say that the water is not freezing, as in - the ice is gone. The water is still going to be really cold, not "come in - the water is great!" I checked some charts about hypothermia, and I will not know the water temp. until I get there. Unfortunately the lake is 3 hours away. I can expect the water to be AT LEAST 4 degree's c. If not, I will not be able to do the swim due to the high chance of hypo.

I was asking because I would think since the body is in cold water, it would not be able to warm up - thus not having as high of a calorie burn. Thought I would check, and ended up with a bunch of sarcastic responses (which hey - this is MFP.) I am very grateful for the decent and informative responses, the rest - luckily I am able to hit ignore on the users from here on out!

The calorie burn from exercise is mainly from movement. And the body will shiver to try to maintain a constant temperature, increasing the calorie burn slightly.

Your muscles "warming up" has little to do with that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I wasn't being sarcastic...I'm genuinely concerned that you haven't trained for this. Most people who train for this kind of stuff are beyond worrying about calories burned and whatnot. This seems like a significant undertaking if you are undertrained/untrained.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    not sure if SRS

sadly it is.

i-quit.gif