Bloody Barbell

Options
shor0814
shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
When I deadlift I drag the bar up my shins just lightly like I am supposed to and I tend to tear my shins a bit. I am not digging a trench in my shin just dragging the bar along the skin but my legs are lined up just perfectly with the knurling and the knurling is pretty aggressive on the new bars at my gym. I wear long soccer socks to help but I still end up bleeding through.

I have no problem with bleeding it isn't what bothers me but it is a pain cleaning the knurls. Yes I do clean up after myself and use alcohol on the bar.

What have others used to keep the blood off the bar? The socks don't work, sweats just bunch up on me. I have thought of taping the knurls or taping my shins with athletic or duct tape. I read about shin guards and homemade guards from bottles but not ready to look like a complete nutcase.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    knee socks AND pants. take care.
  • SinCityFit
    SinCityFit Posts: 96
    Options
    For a moment I thought you may be mad at a barbell in the UK :)
  • shor0814
    Options

Well I have gotten mad at a barbell a few times a week :happy:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    um. that's pretty easy.
    don't drag it up your knees every time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Bar skims my shins ever so lightly on deads for me and I don't have this issue. Sounds like your dragging them on your shins harder than you think.
    I had a client who did that a lot and so we switched to a hex bar for deads and now it's not an issue. Of course your gym would have to have a hex bar for you to do it.

hex_zpsa48c4d68.jpeg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Football shin pads under long socks? (Yes, football, not handegg)

I often bleed a little while deadlifting but the knurling is pretty crap on the bar I use at my gym so cleaning it doesn't take long :P
  • shor0814
    Options
    Football shin pads under long socks? (Yes, football, not handegg)

I often bleed a little while deadlifting but the knurling is pretty crap on the bar I use at my gym so cleaning it doesn't take long :P

It might just be the new bars needing some breaking in so to speak.

I have looked this up and it always turns into an argument over form and how much the bar should drag. Olympic lifters - no dragging, Power lifters - drag. Like I said, I don't care about the bleeding, that stops by the time I get to the shower, I was just trying to keep things cleaner. That said, anyone know a good cleaning agent for blood?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

so if the title had been written by a brit then it would be "bloody bloody barbell" lol

"I got blood on the bloody barbell what a pain the bloody *kitten*!"
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Football socks and jogging bottoms are what work for me.

Perhaps, like someone else suggested, you need a little less drag?
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Compression sleeves, they're neoprene, the bar should just slide right up without catching or bunching. I would recommend you take a look at your form though, if you're digging in that hard you're doing something wrong, the bar should not act as leverage against your body.

Rigger
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Compression sleeves, they're neoprene, the bar should just slide right up without catching or bunching. I would recommend you take a look at your form though, if you're digging in that hard you're doing something wrong, the bar should not act as leverage against your body.

Rigger

I'll second this recommendation. I use calf compression sleeves and they work wonders. They've also saved my skin on a missed box jump more than once.
  • shor0814
    Options

Rigger
    I was going to try the sleeves. It isn't like I have big drag marks up my shins, I just have a couple of spots just above the bar on one leg that scab over and keep opening and bleed heavily. Like I said, no big trenches up my shins.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Rigger

I'll second this recommendation. I use calf compression sleeves and they work wonders. They've also saved my skin on a missed box jump more than once.

Man- I haven't gotten a digger on my shins from box jumps in eons.. I'm not sure compression sleeves would have saved me usually box jump biffs are BAD.

LOL was thinking about this today actually- all my jumps were on concrete boxes....

yes- concrete boxes. seriously- who does box jumps on conrete

apparently this dumbass
    <<<<<

:D great workout though- can't complain.
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    That said, anyone know a good cleaning agent for blood?

Hydrogen peroxide is good, it will foam up when it comes in contact with blood. I would suggest bleach, but that would probably be a hassle to carry with you and would ruin everything if it spilled.