Wedding Dress Shopping

Options
Anyone else newly engaged and dreading the trip to try on bridal gowns?? Hoping this will be the great motivator. Success stroies welcome :smile:

Replies

• brittanydaniel79
    Options
    Hey, I am! It WAS my main motivation for doing this--to look good on the big day. But now that I've started, I'm doing it all for me. I am loving the healthy feelings I'm getting. I've lost 16 lbs since mid-September and I've got a little more than 3/4 to go.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    When am I supposed to start thinking about my wedding dress???? :noway:
  • minni2906
    Options
    Bought my wedding dress already. Wedding is in April. My goal is to need to spend money on alterations having it taken in!!!!!!!!! :smile:
  • amberchristi
    Options
    I got married in September of 2009 and bought my size 14 dress in May of that year... through a lot dieting, tears, exercise, and good choices, when I went in for my fitting in August 2009, my dress literally fell off of me (it was strapless).

You can do wonders with the right motivation and making good choices - I wish you the BEST of luck with both weight loss AND your wedding :)
  • colechillin
    Options
    Congrats on your engagement!!! I just got married on 10/22!!! I was a nervous wreck going dress shopping. But I promise you will feel like a queen no matter what size you are. Those dresses are made to make women look good. lol

I would allow at least 4-5mo for your dress to come in once you order it.
  • amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've been shopping but I don't plan on buying the dress until Jan/Feb. The wedding's in October and the place where I'm going to buy it includes alterations for free - I'm definitely going to take advantage of that!
  • nurse_jenie
    Options
    I as scared to death to make that trip to the bridial shop.... I was amazed at the beautiful gowns they have in all sizes and I had a wonderful support system with me. I could not have asked for a better experience. If you would like to see my dress, I have a wedding picture as the second picture on my profile. I was 215 pounds at the time and I felt like a princess!
  • lauramorris85
    Options
    I soon will be :)

My boyfriend has given me hints that he's going to ask soon, real soon! I'm even more excited that I know tha the had the ring custom made.

That is the primary reason i started to try and lose weight..b/c i know a wedding is in my near future!!!!
  • kerryrief
    Options
    The first place I went to try dresses on was HORRIBLE. But then I went to Kleinfeld in NYC (where they film Say Yes to the Dress) and OMG it was the best experience of my life. The dresses actually were able to fit (most of) me!! I was so happy :)

I bought my dress back in April for a May 2011 wedding! I'm just now starting the weight loss journey and am SO excited to have to pay boatloads of money for alterations :) Hahah!

Luckily I picked a style that is simple to have taken in with not a lot of embellishments. Its a very plain dress so I don't think it will be too much of a problem.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!
    I got married on 10/9. I bought my dress last January and seeing me in it was one of the biggest motivators. By the time I had it altered I had to take 3 inches off the sides!
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just tried on my dress last night (unfortunately not made correctly and has to be sent back to the designer) and the store owner said to me "Now don't lose any more weight, it fits perfectly!"... I don't think she realizes that any money spent on alterations will be the best money I spent for the whole wedding!
  • ashley97730
    Options
    I was so nervous to try on wedding dresses! I was certain that they wouldn't have a size I could even fit my thigh around. The dress I ended up choosing though looks absolutely amazing. It sucks me in, in all the right places and the experience ended up being a memorable one! Like many others though, the money I spend getting it taken in is the best money spent ever! So excited to wear my dress in July!
  • susans76
    susans76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragment and well wishes! I remember being in a dressing room with my mom and grandma buying a first communion dress and being very upset about the dress selections and the fact that nothing fit me. That event was duplicated by prom as well. I'm ready to do this for me so that I can feel my best on what will be the special day! Your stories all really help!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the pleasure of wedding dress shopping, but if it's anything like swimsuit shopping, I feel your pain. I actually bought the dress I wanted from David's Bridal on eBay for a fraction of the price. It fits SKIN TIGHT... a little uncomfortable to tell the truth. And it's the largest size available, so I'm desperate to lose weight to fit into in June 2011. Please add me as a friend and we can motivate each other throughout the whole planning process!!!

Shannon